LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bluetooth issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 08:16 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Bluetooth issues

Overall, the new Bluetooth is imuch mproved from the version on the LS430. The callers I've talked to say the call quality is vastly superior and they can't even tell I'm in a car. Also, I'm, not missing that delay when dialing from the phone instead of the console at all. Definite improvements, but I have noted the following issues:

1) When the Bluetooth link is lost for whatever reason, the only way to re-establish it seems to be to turn the engine off and re-start. Note that the LS430 had the same problem, I just thought they would have fixed it. Anyone know a way around this?

2) If you get to your destination and haven't finished your conversation, you either have to leave the engine running, or call the person back after shutting the engine off, then going back to accessory mode. In the 430, I could just turn the ignition to accessory mode without loosing connection. Personally, I prefer the old ignition switch to these new push button starters. I just don't see them as an improvement at all. I haven't had a chance to dig through the manual yet, but is there a way to shut off the engine without dropping the call?

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-13-07, 09:43 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Overall, the new Bluetooth is imuch mproved from the version on the LS430. The callers I've talked to say the call quality is vastly superior and they can't even tell I'm in a car. Also, I'm, not missing that delay when dialing from the phone instead of the console at all. Definite improvements, but I have noted the following issues:

1) When the Bluetooth link is lost for whatever reason, the only way to re-establish it seems to be to turn the engine off and re-start. Note that the LS430 had the same problem, I just thought they would have fixed it. Anyone know a way around this?

2) If you get to your destination and haven't finished your conversation, you either have to leave the engine running, or call the person back after shutting the engine off, then going back to accessory mode. In the 430, I could just turn the ignition to accessory mode without loosing connection. Personally, I prefer the old ignition switch to these new push button starters. I just don't see them as an improvement at all. I haven't had a chance to dig through the manual yet, but is there a way to shut off the engine without dropping the call?

Thanks in advance...
I don't have a solution to your second question, but to answer your fisrt question... I don't remember all of the buttons you have to click on, but there is an option to reconnect. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll give you exact steps. I believe it's under settings while in the Phone mode.
Old 01-13-07, 11:44 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dimapb
I don't have a solution to your second question, but to answer your fisrt question... I don't remember all of the buttons you have to click on, but there is an option to reconnect. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll give you exact steps. I believe it's under settings while in the Phone mode.
Yes, but the problem with that is the car has to be stationary to do it. Not much of a feature when you disconnect doing 75 on the highway. If you're going to go to the trouble of pulling over, it's quicker and easier to simply turn off the engine and restart. Thanks.
Old 01-13-07, 12:59 PM
gwong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind, just curious what phone you have.
Old 01-13-07, 04:22 PM
nobuddy
Rookie

for 2), can't you just transfer the call to the handset and continue on your mobile?
Old 01-13-07, 06:33 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nobuddy
for 2), can't you just transfer the call to the handset and continue on your mobile?
I'm using a Motorola V551. I don't think it's the phone, though. I've tried turning the phone off and on again, even going into setup and seeking the car with no luck. I'm pretty sure it's the car.
Old 01-13-07, 07:07 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

I'm thinking that you should be able to transfer the call no matter what phone you have.

I will have to try it. I never thought about this.

Good point.
Old 01-13-07, 09:11 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Default From the Manuals

OK, after reading the manual, I found that if you leave the car in any setting other than (P)ark when you hit the ignition button, it goes directly to Accessory mode instead of Off and the phone does not drop the connection. I tested it and it seems to work fine. No way to re-start the car without dropping, though, as you have to put it in P to start. Oh well, can't have everything.

The Nav Manual says that if the Bluetooth fails during operation, it will automatically re-connect. Maybe it is the phone after all. I'm getting a new Samsung phone in a couple of weeks so maybe that will work.
Old 01-14-07, 05:49 AM
ikey78
Driver

I have used several different Bluetooth phones on the LS 430 and the LS 460.

If the car drops the Bluetooth connection which happens periodically for no good reason, nothing will reconnect except for restarting the car. Manually reconnecting via the phone settings on the Nav and turning the phone off and on do not work.

Bluetooth connection is not dropped very often. Maybe once every few weeks, if that. Unclear what is causing the drop. Signal strength does not appear to be the issue.
Old 01-14-07, 06:30 AM
Car Nut
Driver

In the set up menu, do you have auto connect selected for the Bluetooth? If not, it will not connect when a phone is close by. If I don't have the phone switched on when driving and suddenly remember to do so, when I power up the phone it gets connected immediately and the messege comes up 'Bluetooth Connection Sucessful".
Old 01-14-07, 01:02 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Car Nut
In the set up menu, do you have auto connect selected for the Bluetooth? If not, it will not connect when a phone is close by. If I don't have the phone switched on when driving and suddenly remember to do so, when I power up the phone it gets connected immediately and the messege comes up 'Bluetooth Connection Sucessful".
Yes, I have the auto-connect feature set to on. I experienced this problem in the 460 while driving on the highway 2 nights ago, right in the middle of a call. This never happened to me in my 430, though. In the 430 it always seemed to be that the phone just never connected after starting the car, usually after a short stop, such as filling up at a gas station. Wierd. Probably a bug in the LS code.
Old 01-14-07, 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Yes, I have the auto-connect feature set to on. I experienced this problem in the 460 while driving on the highway 2 nights ago, right in the middle of a call. This never happened to me in my 430, though. In the 430 it always seemed to be that the phone just never connected after starting the car, usually after a short stop, such as filling up at a gas station. Wierd. Probably a bug in the LS code.
i would think something interfeered with bluetooth connection... happens with all bluetooth devices, not really perfect technology...
Old 01-14-07, 05:00 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
i would think something interfeered with bluetooth connection... happens with all bluetooth devices, not really perfect technology...
Yes, and that's expected. The problem is that it doesn't automatically re-connect, even though it's supposed to.