LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Window noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 01:20 AM
elac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Window noise

Just got my LS460 last week & feel really good about the comfort except;
1. Seems the window glasss are too thin & I can hear quite clearly the outside environment like bus pass by.
2. The tyre noise is another problem, the car comes with Dunlop SP Sport Max which I think is not that quiet. Any suggestion to change the tyre?
Attached Thumbnails Window noise-ls.jpg  

Last edited by elac; 12-18-06 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-18-06, 08:48 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Congrats on the car.

Not sure why you are experiencing noise like that.

Maybe you should contact your salesman and tell him about it. My car is super quiet and most of the people here feel the same.

There could be something not aligned properly.

It will be worth the trouble to get it checked out.
Old 12-18-06, 09:42 AM
pdi-tech
Driver School Candidate

Supposedly the mold and the plant was out or round, so you might want to see if you can get them warrantied. By the way do you have a shake or vibration around 65-75 mph?
Old 12-18-06, 09:56 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What car did you drive before the LS-460?

I noticed that new LS-460 owners (including myself) are able to hear more noises because the car is so damn quiet.

The asphalt here where I live is very grainy on the freeways and tire noise is way higher than normal, but that applies to all cars.

One of the best tires and also very quiet is the Goodyear F1-GS-D3 - I am getting a set when the stock ones get old.

Also, I believe thicker windows (or at least the windshield) is an option in one of the packages for the LWB model.

Keep in mind that windows are possibly the only part of these cars that have no acoustic treatment. Drive another car and you'll see that the road noise and truck/bus noises penetrate the cabin from everywhere, not just the windows.

The LS-460 enhances our senses, that's for sure.
Old 12-18-06, 05:22 PM
elac
Driver School Candidate

I drove Mercedes E & ML before. Of course the LS is a bit quieter compare to the E & ML. However, I can sure tell you the window sound insulation, Mercedes is better. I also drove 2G RX & 2G IS, I know that Lexus's window insulation is not as good as Mercedes, but I think they will do better on LS since it is the flagship. In fact is not. The perfromance on the window is more or less same as IS

Don't get me wrong, I still love the LS. Compare to the troubles that I have with the Mercedes E & ML, Lexus is much better. I just thinking Lexus should have do better on the LS since they increase the price a lot this time.
Attached Thumbnails Window noise-car2.jpg  
Old 12-18-06, 06:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Beautiful car
So how much are they selling the car in HK for ? I suppose only the SWB is available there too ?
Here in N.America, they offer the laminated side glass option for the LWB version.
Old 12-18-06, 10:47 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elac
Just got my LS460 last week & feel really good about the comfort except;
1. Seems the window glasss are too thin & I can hear quite clearly the outside environment like bus pass by.
2. The tyre noise is another problem, the car comes with Dunlop SP Sport Max which I think is not that quiet. Any suggestion to change the tyre?
I got my LWB Black on Black with Dunlop tires and have not had any problem with wind noise or any more tire noise than my other cars have been.

The LWB comes with Laminated windows which may make it a little quiter in the cabin.

The tires are good in my opinion. Probably others that are better for noise but these are good so far.
Old 12-18-06, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow damn,very nice collection there, and especially that you are in hk, mad props to you

my experience in lexus ownership (not ls460 yet, but in general) is that coz' the car is so quiet, i tend to hear "more" wind noise and outside noise. but personally i think that's coz' everything else is too quiet
Old 12-19-06, 01:25 AM
elac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Beautiful car
So how much are they selling the car in HK for ? I suppose only the SWB is available there too ?
Here in N.America, they offer the laminated side glass option for the LWB version.
Thx! In HK SWB is ~ US$ 135,000, no MarkL sound bacause of the tax. LWB also avalible for US$ 157,700 can't afford!
I want the laminated glass!!!! I can stand the nosie outside, just like forgot to close the window.....
Old 12-19-06, 01:29 AM
elac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus111
I got my LWB Black on Black with Dunlop tires and have not had any problem with wind noise or any more tire noise than my other cars have been.

The LWB comes with Laminated windows which may make it a little quiter in the cabin.

The tires are good in my opinion. Probably others that are better for noise but these are good so far.
I will try to change to BridgeStone Regno GR8000 which I try before is really quiet, will report once i got it. Now this Dunlop SP Sport Maxx is a bit noise to me. I rememebr with my 2G LS 400, it use Dunlop SP & they are also really quiet but now it don't have the 235 50 R18 size.
Old 12-19-06, 01:42 AM
elac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
wow damn,very nice collection there, and especially that you are in hk, mad props to you

my experience in lexus ownership (not ls460 yet, but in general) is that coz' the car is so quiet, i tend to hear "more" wind noise and outside noise. but personally i think that's coz' everything else is too quiet
Thx! But don't get it wrong, I just own 1 car each time & now is the LS460.

Understand that I will getting more picky when in the LS. Actaully after I own a 2G LS400, 2G RX, I start to be very alert about the noise in the car. Then I change to Mercedes E class, disappointed. Mer 2G ML350, more more disappointed. Originally, I think the LS460 should be 99% perfect, but now the window noise makes me a bit disappointed. Now is chekcing with dealer to see what can be done to modifly the situation.
Old 12-19-06, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

still, owning cars in hk isn't easy already (i am from hk too ), definitely a nice representation of class there!

keep us posted on the windows noise issue. i really wonder if it has to do with the fact that it doesn't have laminated windows? i know on the ls430, that makes HUGE difference
Old 12-21-06, 07:45 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isolating the car from tire noise, wind noise, road noise, engine noise, vibrations, and so on is one thing.

But generally you don't want to be too isolated from airborne noises around you because you need to be able to hear somebody honking at you, or emergency vehicles with their sirens on, train whistles, kids playing in the street - all of that stuff is very important to your safety and the safety of others.
Old 12-21-06, 09:27 AM
elac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SexEndaLex
You can hear a bus pass by? Duhh...it's a car, not a tomb, you are going to hear things. How loudly do you hear the bus pass by, that's the question.

As far as I've read, Lexus engineers went through a lot of pain to make the car as quiet as they could, so much so, that they had to "re-tune" the stalks, buttons and the sounds of the electronic things, like the power seats, because it was so quiet inside, these things seemed really loud!!!

A car so perfect, that owners need to nit-pick, I say? Could be.
Sorry for my not indepht discription. The bus pass by sound that I can hear in the LS is lounder than my 2004 E class & 2006 ML. Be franky, I don't think Lexus LS should be that noise. The problem is serious when I was inside the tunnel & some heavy truck or bus next to me.

I suppose the window are using laminted glass already since I can see the word "Lamisercu" on the window. I will ask the dealer tomorrow to confirm. Maybe situiation is US is different.

Of course I know Mercedes's quality is not that good. That's why I sell my 2006 ML after using it for just 3 months. But that does not mean Lexus can slow down, right? I want Lexus to improve so that I don't need to consider to use back Mercedes in the future.

I always tell my friend: " I am really picky in car, if not, why I have to buy the Lexus"
Old 12-21-06, 09:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

just throwing out my wild throughts. could it be that the car is taking certain resonance more than others, and busses passing by happens to be in that range?