LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Loading music onto HDD

Old 12-02-07, 10:41 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have recorded about 110 CD's on my HDD, all at 256K. That has filled it to about 90%. I would guess for most people with decent ears, the difference between 128K and 256K would be substantial. It is for me. There is a definite step up listening to a CD - you can do the comparison easily, by recording a CD and then inserting the CD and playing it and then playing the HDD version. If you listen to an ipod that has wav file or lossless compression, it will sound just about identical to the CD. However, the HDD is quite good if you do not do a direct comparison, and much more convenient.

As far as the gracenote software, it correctly identified about 90% of the CD's I inputted. They were all older CD's, almost all classical - some from relatively obscure labels. I guess that is pretty good. One nice thing is that the track information gets inputted also. It is not too difficult to enter the names of the CD's that the gracenote doesn't pick up. Entering the individual tracks is a pain.

Finally, you can record the CD's using the fast speed - I would load 6 CD's in and then change to the next CD when one was finished recording. That is one of the things Lexus allows you to do while driving. You can just about get 4-5 CD's recorded per hour that way. You can also pretty easily delete a CD or even specific tracks from a CD, so that you can increase the number of CD's on you HDD. You can record hybrid SACD's (the CD layer is recorded) and playback, but not record DVD-A disks. For a great sound, I recommend the new Beatles LOVE DVD-A album. It also comes with a CD, so you can load that onto the HDD. However, the sonics of the DVD-A are wonderful.
Old 12-03-07, 06:29 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
I have recorded about 110 CD's on my HDD, all at 256K. That has filled it to about 90%. I would guess for most people with decent ears, the difference between 128K and 256K would be substantial. It is for me. There is a definite step up listening to a CD - you can do the comparison easily, by recording a CD and then inserting the CD and playing it and then playing the HDD version. If you listen to an ipod that has wav file or lossless compression, it will sound just about identical to the CD. However, the HDD is quite good if you do not do a direct comparison, and much more convenient.

As far as the gracenote software, it correctly identified about 90% of the CD's I inputted. They were all older CD's, almost all classical - some from relatively obscure labels. I guess that is pretty good. One nice thing is that the track information gets inputted also. It is not too difficult to enter the names of the CD's that the gracenote doesn't pick up. Entering the individual tracks is a pain.

Finally, you can record the CD's using the fast speed - I would load 6 CD's in and then change to the next CD when one was finished recording. That is one of the things Lexus allows you to do while driving. You can just about get 4-5 CD's recorded per hour that way. You can also pretty easily delete a CD or even specific tracks from a CD, so that you can increase the number of CD's on you HDD. You can record hybrid SACD's (the CD layer is recorded) and playback, but not record DVD-A disks. For a great sound, I recommend the new Beatles LOVE DVD-A album. It also comes with a CD, so you can load that onto the HDD. However, the sonics of the DVD-A are wonderful.
Yeah, it's an annoying process to add the CDs to the car, but it works. Just very inefficient.

I can never get too worked up about car stereos. The acoustics of the cars are so bad, to my mind it's silly arguing over bitrates.

I just heard the Beatles LOVE DVD-A album at a high-end AV store last week on about $100K worth of equipment. Really does sound amazing.