LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question about paying cash - viewed as positive or negative by dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 10:24 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have good credit.. I would say finance it then use your cash to invest in something else that gets you higher rate of return for your money.
Old 11-02-06, 06:19 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hartmonstr
Whoa, when I said "cash" I meant paying by check as opposed to financing or leasing, not the green stuff. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess even though I won't get a concession on the front end, I will pay thousands less overall than those who finance.
See if you can use the denomination of the upfront payment as a bargaining chip - as in "if you guys make me pay MSRP or higher, I'll haul in briefcases of pennies that I've accumulated in my couch over the years. Do you guys have a forklift?"
Old 11-02-06, 06:29 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, it's always cool to get insider info

so yeah, in that case, i guess they would prefer someone to finance the car rather than paying cash
the deal is, most lexus dealers could really give a rats *** if you finance or pay cash. where the finance end is really important is in your domestic stores where they dont make the profit on the sale of the car, so it HAS to come from somewhere. me, i am just happy to sell the new lexus in the first place
Old 11-02-06, 06:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The dealer I bought from seemed more excited about a finance deal than a PIF transaction. Good for him not for me though...for places that make more money on a finance, cash isn't an incentive.

I've always wanted to do a C-card purchase on a car to get the card benefits. My limit isn't -that- high and Chase jumps up-down when I pre-pay. First got a letter within days of my payment then a day or so later it was followed by a phone call telling me I have a neg balance...they want to issue a check on the account immediately. Didn't occur to ask them for a 22% interest rate. (Like they do for cash advances)
Old 11-02-06, 07:16 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

we limit the amount of purchase on a credit card to $3,000 total. i get asked about the whole purchase price on a card all the time though!
Old 11-02-06, 08:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Oh well, so much for that dream.

The rest is OT:

I dunno what hotel family it was (not Hilton), it was relayed to me that one of the children came into either a high end shop/car dealer to buy something $$$ so the manager called the issuing company up regarding the C-card purchase. The issuing company asked if they were buying the who place...either way, it was relayed there was no problem.
Old 11-02-06, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbodean
the deal is, most lexus dealers could really give a rats *** if you finance or pay cash. where the finance end is really important is in your domestic stores where they dont make the profit on the sale of the car, so it HAS to come from somewhere. me, i am just happy to sell the new lexus in the first place
lol, i know what you mean.
Old 11-07-06, 09:25 AM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjbodean
we limit the amount of purchase on a credit card to $3,000 total.
Why? I'm just currious?
Old 11-07-06, 09:27 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

the fees involved in processing the charge mainly
Old 11-07-06, 09:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Yep, that's a % of the amount charged . . .
Old 11-08-06, 01:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Yep, that's a % of the amount charged . . .
exactly, and 3k is a lot already. most dealerships i go to, they take 500 to 1000 at most...
Old 11-10-06, 01:50 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In 1997, we won $14,000 in Las Vegas, came home, got the 1995 Grand Marquis washed and went down to the Lincoln / Mercury dealer and traded it in on a new Town Car. Gave the dealer $2,000 in left over travelers checks to hold the car / down payment. They thought it was unusual and funny.
Old 11-10-06, 04:14 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

we took a piano in on trade once - that was funny!
Old 11-11-06, 10:04 AM
LexFather

In reading on the Benz forums and Ferrari Chat etc, paying cash is no big deal. Remember financing is really there b/c we cannot AFFORD the car cash, so we HAVE to finance it. Our Credit rating is just telling Lexus (or the lender) we can pay it back.

If I could pay for a LS 460 cash, I would do it. Cars depreciate, rarely do the opposite. Makes no sense to finance (and pay MORE for the car) if I have the cash to pay less for it.
Old 11-12-06, 08:21 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cash purchase is a negative to the dealer.....

because it removes a profit center (finance revenue) from the transaction.

Is paying cash a smart idea? If I told you that I had a mythical investment opportunity for you and your $70,000 and I could just about guarantee that in 4 years it would be worth half that amount would you be a player? The good old US Dollar is a piece of paper and has no backing in tangible value and as such has eroded in purchasing power for decades. Real Estate values have quadrupled during that time. Are all of these older houses worth so much more? NO! The Dollar has gone down in value. We have generally had some inflation for many years so this means that you will need more Dollars later to buy the same amount of goods. This reduces the cost of borrowing as you are paying back in less valuable Dollars over time. Now if you could take the mythical investment above and get a 10 percent return on it while paying 7 percent for financing then it would be a wash after taxes. If you can get greater than a 10 percent return then you should keep your cash and invest. Leasing may give the most leverage of your money.

As far as negotiating by stating that you will stroke a check, it does not improve your leverage so resist the temptation. Some owners just don't like financing or leasing cars so for them it's simpler and that's fine too. When driving the LS460 these other trifles will disappear in the rear view mirror...

Rock

Quick Reply: Question about paying cash - viewed as positive or negative by dealer?