LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So those who have driven an LS430 and LS460 - how much quieter is the LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 11:37 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So those who have driven an LS430 and LS460 - how much quieter is the LS460?

I know you haven't exactly broken out your dB meters but based on your perception, at idle, WOT, and highway cruise - how would you best describe the difference? Significant? Noticeable, but not significant?

Would you say the difference between the quietness in the LS430 and LS460 is more or less significant than the difference between the 3rd Gen GS430 and the LS430?
Old 10-27-06, 02:26 PM
ghmundt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both an LS430 and just took delivery on my 460. There is a huge difference in quietness. You feel like you are locking yourself into a vault like quality automobile. Also the higher beltline of the car leaves less glass and more acoustically deadening material so it is really quiet at all speeds.
Old 10-27-06, 02:28 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

I only drove each for about 20 minutes each, separated by 3 months. I would say the LS460 is quieter, HOWEVER, it is noisy in the low gears when your foot is to the floor. From a standing stop and flooring the LS460 it stays in first and second (at least I think it was second, maybe not, but it was the next gear used by the automatic) for a long time each, and each was noisy when the rpm's got high. My take.
Old 10-27-06, 02:31 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
I only drove each for about 20 minutes each, separated by 3 months. I would say the LS460 is quieter, HOWEVER, it is noisy in the low gears when your foot is to the floor. From a standing stop and flooring the LS460 it stays in first and second (at least I think it was second, maybe not, but it was the next gear used by the automatic) for a long time each, and each was noisy when the rpm's got high. My take.
I suspect the new 4.6L may end up being noisier, especially at WOT, than the 4.3L... they probably did a lot of things to make the 4.6 smoother and quieter, but direct injection has proven to be a very loud technology. My Audi has a direct injection turbo 4 and is a good bit louder/rougher sounding than the 1.8T it replaced. The Toyota/Lexus 3.5L is also by many people's measures.. louder than the 3.0/3.3L it replaced.

But at the same time the noise controls in place in the LS460 may do a better job of quieting the motor down, than the LS430 did of quieting its motor down... hmmm...
Old 10-27-06, 02:35 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

I have owned 3 BMWs, and BMW does not try to make their vehicles as quiet as they can. They like the "buzz" their cars produce. I loved the quiet of the 430 and 460, however, a car can be TOO quiet. I like to hear and feel the rpm's to SOME extent. You can't hear them on a hybrid in lower gears, and it feels weird. I'm sure I would get used to it, but I like some noise.
Old 10-27-06, 03:05 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new LS460 is much quiter than my moms LS430 a huge difference and everything in the car is quiter as well. Also all the sounds inside seem tuned to make a nice sound you really must drive to experience it. Its that good.
Old 10-27-06, 03:11 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
The new LS460 is much quiter than my moms LS430 a huge difference and everything in the car is quiter as well. Also all the sounds inside seem tuned to make a nice sound you really must drive to experience it. Its that good.
Well I played around with a lot of the stuff inside the car. The ash tray, center console, sunglass holder, and cup holder area opened and closed 100% silent. Well, I take that back... the cup holder made the faintest tapping noise once it reached fully open, but I only heard it because I was in the car inside the dealership with the engine off and doors closed.

The glove compartment on the other hand seemed somewhat neglected. It opened faster and more abruptly (and with just as much noise, too) as my 99 GS400 did after many years of use. It just didn't display nearly the obsessive attention to design as the other open/close components did which I found strange since the glove compartment will probably be opened and closed more than the ash tray - at least I'd think it would.

Also I actuated the power reclining seats and headrest in the back and they actually made a relatively audible noise - I would have thought they would keep the motors better insulated to quiet them down.
Old 10-27-06, 03:15 PM
scott rand
Driver School Candidate

Drove my 430 over to pick up my 4.60 this morning....there is a significant difference in both noise level and smoothness of ride. Some of that is probably because I had the sport package on my 430. So far (20 miles) my impression of the car is that it feels much more solid in all respects. I am enjoying playing with all of the gadgets and figuring out the differences between the two cars. OBTW - I got a SWB with Nav/ML/CP.
Old 10-27-06, 03:29 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

these were the figures i remember from the magz and the noise difference between and LS430 and LS460 is 2.5 dba

Cruising at 70mph
MB S 62dba
LS460 62.5dba
Kia Amanti 63dba
LS430 65dba
GS450H 66dba
BMW 550 66dba
Old 10-27-06, 03:35 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
I have owned 3 BMWs, and BMW does not try to make their vehicles as quiet as they can. They like the "buzz" their cars produce. I loved the quiet of the 430 and 460, however, a car can be TOO quiet. I like to hear and feel the rpm's to SOME extent. You can't hear them on a hybrid in lower gears, and it feels weird. I'm sure I would get used to it, but I like some noise.
According to C&D in 2000, the BMW 528i is as quiet as the LS430 @ 70mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=3835
Old 10-27-06, 03:50 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr
these were the figures i remember from the magz and the noise difference between and LS430 and LS460 is 2.5 dba

Cruising at 70mph
MB S 62dba
LS460 62.5dba
Kia Amanti 63dba
LS430 65dba
GS450H 66dba
BMW 550 66dba
WTH is up with that Kia? That's crazy!

I'm very surprised to see the 550 right along side the GS450H... usually BMWs are not very quiet. Granted that is their V8 compared to a V6, which is going to be almost by default a little more engine noise, at least.

I didn't know the S-class was that quiet!

Where are you getting these numbers from anyway? If they're not all from the same magazine, or if that magazine isn't careful to always test on the exact same patch of road with temperature conditions roughly the same and such... then it doesn't mean much.
Old 10-27-06, 06:56 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
WTH is up with that Kia? That's crazy!

I'm very surprised to see the 550 right along side the GS450H... usually BMWs are not very quiet. Granted that is their V8 compared to a V6, which is going to be almost by default a little more engine noise, at least.

I didn't know the S-class was that quiet!

Where are you getting these numbers from anyway? If they're not all from the same magazine, or if that magazine isn't careful to always test on the exact same patch of road with temperature conditions roughly the same and such... then it doesn't mean much.
hehehe.. crazy is right. I too was shocked when I saw the number. That explained why the Kia felt so QUIET when I had it for a week as rental when my MB was rear ended..

The GS450h and the BMW550 were tested at the same time a long with the MB and M45 comparo by C&D recently.
http://www.autospies.com/news/Full-P...s-GS450h-8759/

Kia Amanti was tested by C&D
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...nti-page5.html

MB S and LS460 both were tested by Edmunds.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...8/pageId=68239
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=103461

Last edited by newr; 10-27-06 at 08:45 PM. Reason: listing the sources for those dba #
Old 10-27-06, 09:27 PM
ghmundt
Driver

You guys who don't own a 460 yet have way too much time on your hands, playing with all the dB numbers from various magazines. Believe the 460 owners, it is a much quieter car, end of story. Go out and find another blog to pursue. No more analysis necessary, end of story.
Old 10-27-06, 10:28 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ghmundt
You guys who don't own a 460 yet have way too much time on your hands, playing with all the dB numbers from various magazines. Believe the 460 owners, it is a much quieter car, end of story. Go out and find another blog to pursue. No more analysis necessary, end of story.
I am not sure what your problem is. I don't see anyone in this thread dispute the fact that the 460 is a more quiet car than the 430. The dba number also proved that. 2.5 dba is a lot. If i remember correctly, noise doubles every 3 dba.
Old 10-28-06, 06:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
If i remember correctly, noise doubles every 3 dba.
I think it's every ten.

Quick Reply: So those who have driven an LS430 and LS460 - how much quieter is the LS460?