LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L or BMW 750IL?? HELP ME - I cant decide!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by doktorek
Thank you guys for all your feedbacks. I looked at both forums and it looks like I will be buying LS460. Even the BMW forums tell me that I should go with LEXUS for what I need the car for. Im already through with all that cornering, permormance shocks, superchargers, etc. Been there - done that. Dont get me wrong (Im 27 and love high horepower cars). I need a comfortable car to myself and partially business (limousine for clients). Im in love with the interior of the LS460L just as much as S550. BMW isnt easy to operate (idrive) and interior isnt what I thought it would be. Besides, 2008 BMW gets a makeover. Car would loose too much value once new body comes out. I just sold my 2005 Escalade from less than I though I would get it for.

Mark
lol, at 27 you are old man i am 28 and i have been eyeing on the LS for a long time
Old 10-26-06, 02:12 AM
Stevekil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
Don't be so sensitive about my comment, stevekil!
I'm sorry if it sounded like a junk argument to you... may be I didn't took enough time to write it clearly...

I hope you understand where I'm coming from now!
Sorry, I am a little sensitive but at least you know where I stand.

What irks me is when people masqerade around in a BMW pretending to be kimi or shumi with their large hairy bellies filled with coke and potato chips. Carelessly scratching the large belly with one hand and playing with i-drive with the other, totally ignoring where the steering is taking them.

I have a strong anathema for posers and badge slaves. I understand the casio and rolex argument, but the rolex guy does not claim higher precision or performance. He buys it simply for the beauty and the bling.

So BMW owners should stop pretending superhero status and admit that they buy BMWs for bling. Thats it, no performance and handling excuse.

hypocrisy versus honesty. Thats the choice. Sorry for the harshness.

Last edited by Stevekil; 10-26-06 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 07:14 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

The Lexus is a GREAT car for what it does. It's smoooth, it's absolutely quiet. The LS is an amazing car, and I absolutely loved the LS I drove. But shopping in this price range, I want the car to do more than that. I want it to command a presence. I want it to have soul, and be fun to drive. It must call to me to drive it, and that is what the BMW does. That is why the 750Li has a spot in my garage.
This is the same argument as why someone would buy a Ferrari when a Corvette will do the same. My Corvette is blazingly fast, and has all the gadgets and gizmos inside. But when I drive the Lamborghini, it's another world; every time I get in it is another experience altogether.
In the end, it is only up to personal preference anyway (which is why these redundant threads are a bit ridiculous). Buy what you like. Yes, I do care to a certain extent what people outside the car see. Anyone who says they don't are liars. I have my GMC Yukon for when I want to blend in (everyday except for weekends). Sometimes I want to be ridiculous.

Stevekil, there is no hypocrisy in it. I know my BMW is flashy, and I like it. I'm going to ignore your comments on how I'm supposd to look, and drive, but I will admit to buying the BMW for a certain amount of "bling". Hypocrisy is buying the LS forcing the belief that there is no bling associated with it. Performance and handling is not an excuse. The 7 gives me confidence that I can respond effectively on curvy roads as well as in emergencies. This, the LS did not completely have. Being someone who is regularly on the racetrack, this was an important determining factor in the decision to go with the BMW over both the S550 and the LS.
Old 10-26-06, 12:23 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
while pricing is one consideration, it's definitely not the only, not the most important, factor why we chose lexus. if that's the only fact then i would be driving a camry now.

and i am well capable to buy a bmw, in fact we have considered m3 and m5 when we were shopping for ours. but we ended up with lexus

and your statement didn't make sense too. "only resaon is to save money", followed by "unless you care about value, reliability, etc..." so there are more than one reason?
Really random, but he was being sarcastic; check out his sig.

FWIW:
I'm in college, so I can't afford ANY of these cars. BUT I'm a valet, so I get to drive a lot of them. I love the 7-series (have driven the 745, 750, and 760). BUT, they are not very easy to operate - all of the buttons for your everyday functions are in odd places. That and the horrible history BMW has with reliability are really the only two reasons I would steer clear of a 750/750Li.

I havn't driven the new LS460, but have driven LOADS of the 430. I LOVE the 430. When one pulls in I call it "the baller-mobile". It's a much more elegant car, and has some really nice features, which are all within view (the 7-series seat controls, for example, are not). It's also got loads more room up front and in the back, and I imagine the new LS460 isn't going to be any different.

As for the Mercedes (which I don't think you're even considering):
Yes, the S550/55 AMG is a VERY nice car. Personally, I think it's a great combo of the 7-series and LS: all the creature comforts and ease of use of the LS, but a much more sporty spirit. Hell, it's german!

If I COULD afford it, I'd probably go with the S-class, but I havn't played around enough with it or even driven an LS460 to make a truely well-informed decision.
Old 10-26-06, 12:37 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
Sorry, I am a little sensitive but at least you know where I stand.

What irks me is when people masqerade around in a BMW pretending to be kimi or shumi with their large hairy bellies filled with coke and potato chips. Carelessly scratching the large belly with one hand and playing with i-drive with the other, totally ignoring where the steering is taking them.

I have a strong anathema for posers and badge slaves. I understand the casio and rolex argument, but the rolex guy does not claim higher precision or performance. He buys it simply for the beauty and the bling.

So BMW owners should stop pretending superhero status and admit that they buy BMWs for bling. Thats it, no performance and handling excuse.

hypocrisy versus honesty. Thats the choice. Sorry for the harshness.
Whoa! This is really a strange post because many people would say the same about Lexus (re badging). I have owned BMW's and am first on the list for the '08/'09 7 series in Pittsburgh. I also have a rolex. Do I think that I am above anyone? No. Do I buy them just for bling? No.

I think this is a very ignorant broad sweeping statement that is inaccurate. Also your stereotypical appearance is wrong. I am 29 years old, 5'10" and 155 pounds. No large hairy belley.

I really don't think your post adds any benefit but instead is just offensive and ignorant.
Old 10-26-06, 05:12 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Default confidence, soul, emergency and driving fun

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
The Lexus is a GREAT I want it to command a presence. I want it to have soul, and be fun to drive. ... Lamborghini, it's another world; ...another experience altogether.
... I know my BMW is flashy, and I like it. I'm going to ignore your comments on how I'm supposd to look, and drive, but I will admit to buying the BMW for a certain amount of "bling". Performance and handling is not an excuse. The 7 gives me confidence ... in emergencies. ... the LS did not completely have. Being someone who is regularly on the racetrack, ...
Your comments are welcome. No one is trying to influence your buying decisions. It is not the car, but the person sitting in it which commands a presence and has a soul. If the person does not have presence or soul even a flying BMW won't help his personality. So if I were you I would not depend on the car for presence or soul.

You are welcome to skip what I write no one is forcing anyone's leg here. I am sorry you took the hairy belly and potato chips quite personally. LOL! they were meant to be lighthearted humor.
Confidence is not in the car, its in us. By the way, no sane person in the right frame of mind will take 5,000 lbs of metal on a racetrack to generate confidence. For driving pleasures a motorbike or a dedicated 2-seater sports car. That is my thought.

This is what prompted my attention in the first place:
Originally Posted by ...
Only reason to go for LS is if you need to save money!!
Agree with aaron300z... Why buy Lexus if you can afford BMW??
This argument that if you cannot afford BMW buy a lexus, and if you can afford a BMW why-o-why buy a lexus is a bunk argument and will be carefully criticized in cordial environment according to CL rules.

Last edited by Stevekil; 10-26-06 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-26-06, 05:52 PM
Stevekil
Driver

How fat people in their heavy BMWs 750Li are killing america. Just for fun, don't go ballistic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061026/..._consumption_9
Old 10-26-06, 10:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stevekil
Your comments are welcome. No one is trying to influence your buying decisions. It is not the car, but the person sitting in it which commands a presence and has a soul. If the person does not have presence or soul even a flying BMW won't help his personality. So if I were you I would not depend on the car for presence or soul.

You are welcome to skip what I write no one is forcing anyone's leg here. I am sorry you took the hairy belly and potato chips quite personally. LOL! they were meant to be lighthearted humor.
Confidence is not in the car, its in us. By the way, no sane person in the right frame of mind will take 5,000 lbs of metal on a racetrack to generate confidence. For driving pleasures a motorbike or a dedicated 2-seater sports car. That is my thought.

This is what prompted my attention in the first place:
This argument that if you cannot afford BMW buy a lexus, and if you can afford a BMW why-o-why buy a lexus is a bunk argument and will be carefully criticized in cordial environment according to CL rules.
SIGNATURE WORTHY!!!
Old 10-28-06, 09:36 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

ask yourself this- do you want to run with the herd, and buy the same BMW everyone else in this spending range will buy?..or do you want to make a statement with the Lexus? I say go with the Lexus, just for the sake of being unique (for the time being).
Old 10-28-06, 09:50 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Heh, worst point in the world.
If you're going to make a statement you'll get a Rolls or a Bentley.

A simple 100k$ doesn't make a statement.
Old 10-28-06, 11:31 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vraa
Heh, worst point in the world.
If you're going to make a statement you'll get a Rolls or a Bentley.

A simple 100k$ doesn't make a statement.
Gotta say I pretty much agree with that. Although, I wouldn't get a "production car" if I were trying to make a statement and LOADED.
Old 10-28-06, 11:33 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by RSTSpeed
Gotta say I pretty much agree with that. Although, I wouldn't get a "production car" if I were trying to make a statement and LOADED.
I assumed you were looking for something smooth.
Old 10-29-06, 06:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Drove a LS460 yesterday and rode in a 750 at taste of Lexus. BMW handles better obviously, the BMW space wasnt as good as the LS460 (wasnt LWB i believe). Interior is absolutely abyssmal in the BMW, not as quiet or smooth riding as the LS. Just depends what you want, if handling means that much to you over a horrific interior then thats your decision. IMO overall the LS is better
Old 10-29-06, 07:35 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prestige means nothing in the auto world - it's all your perception of it

I find all these comments about which car is more prestigious to be quite entertaining. Perhaps it varies depending on which part of the country you live in. I have heard that there are parts of the country where when you see a MBZ, BMW or Lexus driving down the road, it is actually something out of the ordinary.

Here in Southern California, and in particular, Orange County, these cars are so plentiful that I don't think they mean anything special to anyone. I seriously doubt that anyone who sees a Mercedes, BMW or Lexus driving down the street gives any thought at all as to which one is more prestigious than the other.

All of these cars have their merits. It's just a matter of what is most important to you. I do believe that Lexus still represents a buyer who wants maximum luxury for a slightly lower price than the German rivals. As far as the BMW pricing comments, last time I looked at configuring a BMW 750Li it came out to less than the fully loaded LS460L I'm looking at. If I were to "settle" for a BMW, it would be because I can get one for a better price than the Lexus, since they have fallen out of favor in Southern California and as such the dealers are offering some pretty good incentives to move them off the floor - unlike the new LS460's, which the Lexus dealers seem to think are the hottest thing out there (for now).
Old 10-29-06, 08:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they are the hottest thing, 1 of 4 dealers in the houston area alone has 100+ deep waiting list, that was 2 weeks ago, who knows how many are waiting total, even for MSRP this car is a bargain, considering everything overall

Quick Reply: LS460L or BMW 750IL?? HELP ME - I cant decide!