LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L or BMW 750IL?? HELP ME - I cant decide!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
Only reason to go for LS is if you need to save money!!
Agree with aaron300z... Why buy Lexus if you can afford BMW??
Unless you care about value, reliablity and etc...
while pricing is one consideration, it's definitely not the only, not the most important, factor why we chose lexus. if that's the only fact then i would be driving a camry now.

and i am well capable to buy a bmw, in fact we have considered m3 and m5 when we were shopping for ours. but we ended up with lexus

and your statement didn't make sense too. "only resaon is to save money", followed by "unless you care about value, reliability, etc..." so there are more than one reason?
Old 10-24-06, 05:18 AM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
In my opinion the 7 series is the LEAST appealing car in its class.
I would choose any of the following over it : S550, LS460 and
Audi A8.

Also, when the first 7's came out they were an absolute reliability
nightmare... Beware buying into the first model year of this car
in 2008 or when it comes out.

Having said that, I would also NOT buy an LS460 or an S550 on
their first model years
I agree dont buy a car the first year of production if its a BMW, Audi or MB, however, I have bought 5 new Lexus models the first year of production and I can't remember any of them going to the shop for repairs. Maybe I'm lucky? I dont think so, Lexus is the #1 built car in the world, even the first year of production!!!!!
Old 10-24-06, 05:21 AM
snikwad
Rookie

Go with the 7, its a lot more car, and at the end of the day, onthe other side of the pacific it has the same badge, not a toyota badge like the lex.
The reliablity issue was basically dealt with once the new models came around. The E38 had extra problems, but the E65 has way less problem, and the 760 does is not a new car, the engine is an evolution of the old V12, kinda, but its way betetr than the old engines, and besides, the engines were'nt the problem, and body style has been around since 2002, its proven itself.

That S550 is actually newer than the 760, and so is the LS460.

Last edited by snikwad; 10-24-06 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-24-06, 06:55 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Go with the Lex, i was amazed to see people just come and look at the LS and just stare. Its beautiful inside and out.
Old 10-24-06, 07:28 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS430X6
I agree dont buy a car the first year of production if its a BMW, Audi or MB, however, I have bought 5 new Lexus models the first year of production and I can't remember any of them going to the shop for repairs. Maybe I'm lucky? I dont think so, Lexus is the #1 built car in the world, even the first year of production!!!!!
Lexus has very good quality even in the first year of production,
however it is not perfect. My 06 GS300 has had a few minor issues
like rattles and a seatbelt recall. Not too bad, but if I am going to
be paying 70K+ for a car I want it to be perfect.

The 7 series IMHO does not play to BMW's strengths. It is a flagship
after all, and handling/engine performance are not as relevant as
luxury. I mean, what kind of an idiot would take a long wheelbase
car to a track?

Last edited by marshmallo; 10-24-06 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-24-06, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS430X6
lexus is good but far from perfect. their 04 ls430 had quite a few issues in the beginning.
Old 10-24-06, 04:16 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

But the 2001 didnt have much trouble at all.
Old 10-24-06, 06:13 PM
LEX012006
Driver

Working at BMW, it is a wonderful car, but for some unknown reason, the Germans can not get electronics down pat. Whereas the Japanese have cornered the market. As we said in the service dept. German car owners love to DRIVE to a destination, Japanese car owners love to be DRIVEN to the destination. Brute strength or silky finesse.

But at the end of the day, you are the one who has to look at & drive this vehicle everyday (or until you sell it.....because you made a bad choice!!) do what your heart and the seat of your pants tell you (it is never really about the money....as car guys know if you want it...you will get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Old 10-25-06, 12:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lexusls430
But the 2001 didnt have much trouble at all.
but the bottom line is lexus is not perfect. people had some problems with the 06 gs as well? same with the 98 gs, there were few more problems with that car (little problems, not big ones) compared to 99 and above

i am not denying the fact that lexus in general has far less problems on their new models, but i wouldn't say it doesn't have problems at all, and i would be among those who would rather wait a yr
Old 10-25-06, 05:58 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Agreed.
Old 10-25-06, 10:28 AM
Stevekil
Driver

Default we should ignore bmw fanboys on this forum, they will never learn.

Originally Posted by rominl
while pricing is one consideration, it's definitely not the only, [COLOR="Navy"]not the most important, factor why we chose lexus. if that's the only fact then i would be driving a camry now.

and i am well capable to buy a bmw, in fact we have considered m3 and m5 when we were shopping for ours. but we ended up with lexus

and your statement didn't make sense too. "only resaon is to save money", followed by "unless you care about value, reliability, etc..." so there are more than one reason?
This user hsk73 does not realize that he is only descrediting himself when making such statements. The more he propounds his junk argument, the more he and BMW will loose credibility.

A brand which hasn't produced a single model with above average reliability,

A brand which for all the assumed and media perpetrated handling prowess, hasn't won a single grand prix/ formula 1 championship ever in last 100 years.

Never won more than one Le Mans championship,

never produced a single technological innovation worth mentioning except some cheap mechanical gimickery,

Does not have even one genuine 2-seater sports car in the line up to compete with S2000, cayman, 911, corvette.

Maybe, its time to start examining who is more responsible for this aura of sportiness.

BMW or the magazines.

As for Lexus, at least its more honest and true to itself. lexus never claims sporty as the defining characteristic.

It promises the best quality, the best reliability, the best luxury, and the most advanced technology and the wise among us know that lexus has been the leader in all these departments for quite a while.

Last edited by Stevekil; 10-25-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-25-06, 04:18 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron300z
I guess if you like driving you get the BMW but if you need to go from point A to point B the Lexus should do the job.
What a load. If I hear one more Bimmer fan claim that their car is for "drivers", and all others are simply appliances, I'm going to vomit. Give me a break.
Old 10-25-06, 05:00 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Don't be so sensitive about my comment, stevekil!
I'm sorry if it sounded like a junk argument to you... may be I didn't took enough time to write it clearly...

Some people might not agree but my argument is pretty simple...
People buy things for the brand name and brand name ONLY!
Just like why pepole prefer Rolex watch over Casio...
Eventhough Casio watch might have more functions, durable and not to mension... very affordable!

Recently, I've purchased GS! In fact.. I've bought two Lexus!!
And, I must say that the PRICE was the biggest reason why!
I would've love to get 550 or even M5 if I could...
But, I wanted to save money this time around... not doing a good as I use to...

I know BMW is over price in some ways and it's not as reliable as Lexus.
I know... I had 5 of them...
But, it's not that important to some people!
Just need to drive BMW or Benz over Lexus!
OR, even Bentley over BMW if they could...

I hope you understand where I'm coming from now!
Old 10-25-06, 05:20 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, there is no such thing as a "Toyota" LS460. It's "badged" Lexus now EVERYWHERE.
Old 10-25-06, 07:17 PM
doktorek
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for all your feedbacks. I looked at both forums and it looks like I will be buying LS460. Even the BMW forums tell me that I should go with LEXUS for what I need the car for. Im already through with all that cornering, permormance shocks, superchargers, etc. Been there - done that. Dont get me wrong (Im 27 and love high horepower cars). I need a comfortable car to myself and partially business (limousine for clients). Im in love with the interior of the LS460L just as much as S550. BMW isnt easy to operate (idrive) and interior isnt what I thought it would be. Besides, 2008 BMW gets a makeover. Car would loose too much value once new body comes out. I just sold my 2005 Escalade from less than I though I would get it for.

Mark

Quick Reply: LS460L or BMW 750IL?? HELP ME - I cant decide!