LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L or BMW 750IL?? HELP ME - I cant decide!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 06:45 AM
aaron300z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doktorek
Hi

Im looking to buy a new luxury car. I looking at both BMW 750IL or LS460L. I CANNOT make up my mind which one I should go for !!!. I dont know much about either yet but I love them both.

Please, tell me why I should buy a Lexus LS460 over a BMW 7-series??? ? They both cost about the same and features are about the same. Of course I know about the parking feature in the Lexus - which is pretty neat.

I appreciate the feedback.

Mark
I you can afford the BMW then the 750Li is your car. No other car command the presence of a BMW. Test drive both cars. Check the quality of the material inside. Feel how strong the doors are. Feel the road and the feedback that the car gives you.

Park a 750Li next to the LS460L, check the muscular lines of each car and that should give you a final answer.

If you can't tell the difference then you need to buy the Lexus !
Old 10-23-06, 06:59 AM
LexFather

THe 745 sport finished BEHIND the OLD LS 430 in comparisons. I Figure then the LS 460 would have to be superior to the 750 with no issues.

Lexus board will tell you buy the Lexus. BMW board will tell you buy the BMW

A 5th gear reviewer summed up a Lexus vs BMW comparison for me.....BMW is the best car to own the 5% of the time your canyon driving, driving aggresive, at the track, etc. The Lexus is the best car to own 95% of the time otherwise.
Old 10-23-06, 07:17 AM
trentpa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aaron300z
I you can afford the BMW then the 750Li is your car. No other car command the presence of a BMW. Test drive both cars. Check the quality of the material inside. Feel how strong the doors are. Feel the road and the feedback that the car gives you.

Park a 750Li next to the LS460L, check the muscular lines of each car and that should give you a final answer.

I'd agree that the 7-series should be your choice if you were simply going to walk around the vehicle and/or have a framed photograph of it. If, however, you wanted to drive it, or ride in it, particularly for long distances, there is positively no comparison between the LS and the BMW 7-series: the LS wins hand's down. All depends on what you value most in a car. If you want to be the envy of the teen crowd, get the BMW. If you want to transport yourself and your passengers in the greatest degree of comfort, get the LS.
Old 10-23-06, 07:21 AM
aaron300z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trentpa
If you want to be the envy of the teen crowd, get the BMW. If you want to transport yourself and your passengers in the greatest degree of comfort, get the LS.

A) Are you saying that teenagers can afford 90K cars?
B) "The greatest degree of comfort, get the LS " Does it ride like a pillow?
Old 10-23-06, 08:18 AM
trentpa
Driver School Candidate

A) Are you saying that teenagers can afford 90K cars?
B) "The greatest degree of comfort, get the LS " Does it ride like a pillow?
A. No. But I think it's common to envy things you cannot afford.
B. No. But a pillow ride isn't necessarily the most comfortable. I've driven/ridden hundreds of miles in a BMW 760Li (or is it iL?), but my LS430 is hand's down more "comfortable."

My best friend has a 760Li, but whenever the four of us are going anywhere, he insists that we drive the LS, because there's more room, and everyone's more comfortable (not to mention the superior GPS system). Having said that, he'd never buy an LS because he values exterior styling and engine "muscle" much more than I, and he's seldom in his car for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Last edited by trentpa; 10-23-06 at 08:19 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-23-06, 08:43 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I like BMW, but 750 doesnt even come close to what LS460L has to offer.

But it's your money and your choice. I'd say test drive both and pick whatever you like. You can't really go wrong with either one.
Old 10-23-06, 08:50 AM
aaron300z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trentpa
A. No. But I think it's common to envy things you cannot afford.
B. No. But a pillow ride isn't necessarily the most comfortable. I've driven/ridden hundreds of miles in a BMW 760Li (or is it iL?), but my LS430 is hand's down more "comfortable."

My best friend has a 760Li, but whenever the four of us are going anywhere, he insists that we drive the LS, because there's more room, and everyone's more comfortable (not to mention the superior GPS system). Having said that, he'd never buy an LS because he values exterior styling and engine "muscle" much more than I, and he's seldom in his car for more than 20 minutes at a time.
I guess if you like driving you get the BMW but if you need to go from point A to point B the Lexus should do the job.
Old 10-23-06, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe 745 sport finished BEHIND the OLD LS 430 in comparisons. I Figure then the LS 460 would have to be superior to the 750 with no issues.

Lexus board will tell you buy the Lexus. BMW board will tell you buy the BMW

A 5th gear reviewer summed up a Lexus vs BMW comparison for me.....BMW is the best car to own the 5% of the time your canyon driving, driving aggresive, at the track, etc. The Lexus is the best car to own 95% of the time otherwise.
i thinkt he summary from 5th gear is right on

in that that's pretty much the exact reason why we got our sc430 over some other choices (including bmw)
Old 10-23-06, 09:57 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

doktorek, read this very fair and objective review of the LS by another owner on here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244679

It may help you in your decision.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I personally disagree with this summary of the two brands differences.

I have modded my cars suspension/handling to the limits on a GS - it rides hard, is very communicative and I just love it! I love to take on-ramps, exit ramps (when it's safe) agressively whenever I drive my car. Definitely much much more than the magic 5% number that 5th gear talks about.

Whenever I am on an interesting road with lots of curves, I stiffen the shocks and do my safe and agressive driving. On the other hand I don't take my car to the track.

The reason why I bought my GS instead of a 540 (as you would think I would be happier with a more-connected-to-the-road type of car like a 540), is simply that I could not afford to buy one that was still under the factory warranty. I needed to have a reliable car - plain and simple. The GS was the best choice.

You can enjoy a Lexus agressively much more than 5% of the time.
Old 10-23-06, 10:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i cant but laugh at that... muscular lines? Car is unbelievably ugly. You can certainly notice the difference.
Old 10-23-06, 11:58 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
i cant but laugh at that... muscular lines? Car is unbelievably ugly. You can certainly notice the difference.
Agreed. The 750i is simply beyond ugly and what makes it worse is that it gets even more unappealing when you get inside. The interior is simply an ergonomic nightmare and you really get the impression that the interior controls were designed by some hippie burnout who did way too many acid trips. Things are just not where they should be, frequently used controls are nowhere to be found and the I-Drive system should be relabeled "I-Never-Thought-About-How-All-This-Would-Work. because put in it's simplest terms, it doesn't. The LS 460 is a handsome enough car and the rectangular bilateral exaust openings are way beyond sexy. In typical lexus fashion, however, it continues to be essentially derivitive with many cues from M-B and BMW to be found. Nothing particularly original here.

My advice is, if you have $86k to throw at a car, look no further than the M-B S 550. There's a car that has it all if you can live with it's underassisted steering and huge steering wheel. The car just screams "CLASS."
Old 10-23-06, 07:11 PM
LEX012006
Driver

I own a LS 430, and I have worked for BMW. Yes the 750 is a drivers car, but the overall feel of my 430 is way better. The 750 has raw power. Very agressive aceleration. I have driven 745's, 750's, and 760's. None of these cars have the silky finesse the LS has. Lexus power is smooth, comes on gradually, you have to look at the speedo to know what speed you are doing. BMW just smacks you in the *** with the power. If it is that feeling you want (harsh suspension, hard seats, beastly power) then the 750 is for you. If you want subtle, slick, WOLF in a sheep's clothing, then go for the "NEW" LS.
Old 10-23-06, 07:33 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

one's a masterpiece the other looks aweful
Old 10-23-06, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
doktorek, read this very fair and objective review of the LS by another owner on here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244679

It may help you in your decision.

I personally disagree with this summary of the two brands differences.

I have modded my cars suspension/handling to the limits on a GS - it rides hard, is very communicative and I just love it! I love to take on-ramps, exit ramps (when it's safe) agressively whenever I drive my car. Definitely much much more than the magic 5% number that 5th gear talks about.

Whenever I am on an interesting road with lots of curves, I stiffen the shocks and do my safe and agressive driving. On the other hand I don't take my car to the track.

The reason why I bought my GS instead of a 540 (as you would think I would be happier with a more-connected-to-the-road type of car like a 540), is simply that I could not afford to buy one that was still under the factory warranty. I needed to have a reliable car - plain and simple. The GS was the best choice.

You can enjoy a Lexus agressively much more than 5% of the time.
unfortunately, the way i see it, the moment you modify your car, you can't apply that statement anymore. they are talking about stock to stock, if you modifying the car you are looking at a whole new scenario.

honestly, if my lexus are stock, would i want to push it pass the "5%"? nop, i would rather just drive it around the "95%" of the time. but now my car is fully modded, yes, i drive the "5%" more. but the key is after you modified it
Old 10-23-06, 11:06 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Only reason to go for LS is if you need to save money!!
Agree with aaron300z... Why buy Lexus if you can afford BMW??
Unless you care about value, reliablity and etc...

Quick Reply: LS460L or BMW 750IL?? HELP ME - I cant decide!