LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

went to launch party tonight at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 01:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default went to launch party tonight at dealership

nothing too special about it, not like i haven't seen or driven the car before. of course a lot of people were hyped about the car, but it's funny how fast people left after they "uncovered" the car, haha...

anyway, had a bit more chance to sit in the car and play with it. everything is just my observations and opinions, no strings attached (yeah, disclaimer time)

1) paid a lot more attention to the trunk space on the ls460l with the rear seat upgrade. it's smaller than my gs400 but i say it's definitely bigger and a lot more "usable" than my sc430 (or the gs450h). i am sure i can still fit large luggages in it. i am still wondering if it can fit 2 28" luggages in there, i kinda doubt

2) i noticed that now they have accent light at the interior door ****/lock on the door. VERY VERY nice touch (do they have that on the gs?!)

3) i tried the ML a bit on radio. very nice. turned up a bit, didn't want to get too much attention, but it sounds very nice and clear. the base is a lot stronger, love that

4) i see less and less resaon not to get the exec package, except the price. with the 5 seat config, the center seat is almost useless anyway. it's considerably "higher" than the two side seats, i saw a lady sitting there with her husband on the side, it was so funny. on my gs400 the center seat is higher as well, but nothing close to that. so i figured no one would like to sit in that seat no matter what. but on the other hand, that does gives a lot of room for improvement on the side seats. they are soooo comfortable, and with the incline, it's incredible.

5) the auto trunk lid is very sensitive to obstacle when closing. a pretty light touch and it retracts right the way already. very well done

6) the tires are 235/50/18 on the 18s

7) i really like the design on how the center armrest console opens. very nice and smooth. however, make sure there is no one sitting in the middle seat in the back (another reason). the whole armrest actualy slides back and down, if you have someone in the back that might hit their legs.

8) i actually think the passenger glove box is smaller than the previous ls430. anyone?

9) finally i sat in a black interior. i have to say, between black, grey, and ivory interior, black is the best and most classy

10) the front nav has a 8" screen

11) i am still a bit skeptical on how effective the front cup holders are. they still look pretty shallow, been a problem on lexus cars...

bottom line, the more i look at the car, the more i want to get the exec package as well. not just it's "cooler" and more exclusive, but i think it's just a much better value, especially when the 5 seat configurations don't really bring me any "extra" imho. seeing how the 5 seat version is laid out, i don't see putting a person in that position anyway... so might as well make it a nice "armrest"

oh and btw, i won't name people, but i really hate it when sales are trying to fool with customers by blowing whatever lies they have. examples of what i heard?
- pointing to the trunk of the ls460l with rear seat upgrade and said "see, even with all these rear seat upgrades, you still get about 16 cu ft of trunk space
- "you have to look at the front suspension man. it's so complicated, basically it's the triple-wishbone setup" (could be true, but definitely not how lexus is calling it)
- "take a look at this ls460l. you get tons more space. look at the rear door, you gain more than 6 inches in length"

oh well now i just need to dream about when i can possibly own this car? hahah
Old 10-21-06, 01:31 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your insights! I should've thought of testing the trunk closer sensor--good to hear that it works well!

On the LS 430, there is an orangey light inside the interior door handle/lock area on each of the four doors already, so I think the LS 460 has something similar?

Good to hear the ML is even better than before--it is great already!

The passenger glove box IS smaller. I found that the side compartments, ashtrays etc. were all smaller--largely owing to the 'swoosh' curvaceous design. The more conventional LS 430 design used simpler shapes and had more space in the compartments. The sculpted new LS look costs some space--rear headroom, storage space, etc.

The cupholders are like the new GS/IS/ES I believe...on the LS 430, the front cupholders were more like the rear cupholders on the LS 460--pop out tray with separate upper cupholders and lower cradle...although on the LS 430 the cups do rest on a console; on the 460 the rear ones dangle in air. But nowhere near some of the useless/strange German cupholders! Lexus cupholders have worked quite well IMO, and the LS 430's were the best IMO. The 460s look good but I haven't tested them.

If there is an Achilles heel of the LS 460 interior it is the center rear seat. The LS 430's center rear seat is more comfortable IMO, although perhaps the 460 has a lower center 'hump'...plus the 460 L mitigates the headroom issue with more legroom. I wonder whey the center seat is like that when on the LS 430 it was not.

If you can afford the special order Exec Class package, more power to you! Although I haven't sat inside one yet...

I did feel the black interior LS has something truly special this time around--moreso than previous LS interiors (note how the brochures for past LS models tended to showcase the tan, ecru, lighter interiors more often--only recently the LS 430 refresh brochure showed the Antique Walnut-black leather combination; the LS 460 brochure shows a black interior this time). The other colors are pretty good too but I spent the most time in a black LS 460 interior and it impressed me--the black gives it a gravitas that accentuates the technological powerhouse, luxury, etc.)

Haha on the salespeople. I think the one about the LS 460 L with 'tons more space' is the most accurate one...although it is a stretch (pun intended)
Old 10-21-06, 04:57 AM
ikey78
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few more observations:

When using XM radio, the bigger screen now displays the entire song and artist info not a truncated version as in the LS 430.

The buttons to select AM FM etc are flat , not raised as in the 430. Not as easy to locate by feel without looking down. Sometimes easier to use those buttons rather than the steering wheel control eg going from Sat back to AM without cycling thru FM and disc.

The vanity mirrors on the front visors hava a sliding cover rather than a flip cover. Any reason for this?

The glove box is covered in vinyl rather than leather as in the Custom and Ultra 430's. Think I read you may need to get the exec package to get leather.

The electronic Brake/Hold feature is great.
Old 10-21-06, 08:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
1) paid a lot more attention to the trunk space on the ls460l with the rear seat upgrade. it's smaller than my gs400 but i say it's definitely bigger and a lot more "usable" than my sc430 (or the gs450h). i am sure i can still fit large luggages in it. i am still wondering if it can fit 2 28" luggages in there, i kinda doubt
I think it's better if you start using the much more flexible "canvas" type large luggage bags instead of the less flexible suitcases. It's easier to fit them in limited space & they can hold just as many stuff, they are also more flexible in stuffing things inside too . I try to use not more than one (or even none) suitcase now even for air travelling.

Originally Posted by rominl;
3) i tried the ML a bit on radio. very nice. turned up a bit, didn't want to get too much attention, but it sounds very nice and clear. the base is a lot stronger, love that
Base is not one of the strong points of the old ML's, good to hear that, can't wait to try it myself.

4) i see less and less reason not to get the exec package, except the price. with the 5 seat config, the center seat is almost useless anyway. it's considerably "higher" than the two side seats, i saw a lady sitting there with her husband on the side, it was so funny. on my gs400 the center seat is higher as well, but nothing close to that. so i figured no one would like to sit in that seat no matter what. but on the other hand, that does gives a lot of room for improvement on the side seats. they are soooo comfortable, and with the incline, it's incredible.
Well, the 5 seater can still offer more flexibility in sitting 5 passengers since it's still "possible" to seat 3 at the back. That may come in handy for short trips within the city for some, especially for smaller people. But yes, I always hate sitting in the rear middle position anyway.
BTW, they do have an exec. package there that you actually sat in or are you just imagining ?

9) finally i sat in a black interior. i have to say, between black, grey, and ivory interior, black is the best and most classy
Haha, I know you're set on black on black. For me , I would choose between Black & Cashmere interior depending on the exterior color I end up choosing. For Obsidian/Smoky Granite/Black Sapphire, I would get black leather. But if I go with Noble Spinel Mica, I would pick Cashmere leather.

bottom line, the more i look at the car, the more i want to get the exec package as well. not just it's "cooler" and more exclusive, but i think it's just a much better value, especially when the 5 seat configurations don't really bring me any "extra" imho. seeing how the 5 seat version is laid out, i don't see putting a person in that position anyway... so might as well make it a nice "armrest"
Hahaha, don't know about "better value" for the executive package, some may question whether you get enough "extra" for the price difference , especially considering the lower residues for the exec. package, which also means faster depreciation. Unless you go for a used one, it will be a better value with a 3 year old used car.

oh and btw, i won't name people, but i really hate it when sales are trying to fool with customers by blowing whatever lies they have. examples of what i heard?
- pointing to the trunk of the ls460l with rear seat upgrade and said "see, even with all these rear seat upgrades, you still get about 16 cu ft of trunk space
- "you have to look at the front suspension man. it's so complicated, basically it's the triple-wishbone setup" (could be true, but definitely not how lexus is calling it)
- "take a look at this ls460l. you get tons more space. look at the rear door, you gain more than 6 inches in length"
Not really surprising though, many of us know more about the cars than the salesmen, but they really should study more before spewing out BS like that . . .
Old 10-21-06, 02:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hehe, you guys are great awesome feedback from you guys, love to read what you guys think as well, some very very good points!!!

enigma888, since it was probably first time for everyone to stick their body inside the car, i just let them do all that and i was in the back playing with the trunk. i remember during the ls460 preview back in april, the trunk sensor wasn't that good, i had to counter force it a lot to make it go back up. so that's why i had to test it this time to make sure it's reasonable (good job lexus!)

thank you so much for the comparison on the container sizes as well. i did think they were all smaller but since i dont' have ls430 so i could only "imagine". i guess i am a bit disappointed on the front glove box. other holders i don't really use it that much, but the glove box i use it quite a bit. at least the center console compartment is still pretty spaceous

about cup holders, i remember the ls430 ones, i agree they are better. but man, get into the gs400/430, the 3gs, and the sc430, good luck holding your cups. i would never trust them, coz' they just don't hold cups all that well. it just looks too "shallow"?

my guess on the rear middle seat is about the true rear AC unit and how they stick everything in, causing the middle seat to be so much higher. and i have a feeling that they don't really expect much people to use that middle seat? i don't know, just a wild guess here

ikey78, the vanity mirrors, i love their new design. if you notice, on the previous design, you flip the cover up, and the vanity light is right by the mirror. that's kinda stupid coz' often times i find the light glaring my eyes so i couldn't look at the mirror clearly.

if you look at the new design, it's sliding doors, and when you fully open it, the light is actually at the top (on the roof), so you can see the mirror very clearly. i think that's brilliant

and about the leather on the glove box, i don't know if they have it in the exec package, can't remember anymore. but one thing for sure. if you get the ls600hl, the whole dash is leather

andrew, the 28" ones are the canvas type already i ditched suitcase type long time ago why i said 28"? coz' that's the size of luggage i brought here when i first came to the US, lol and i had two, hahah.....

i was pretty surprised about the base on the system as well. i couldn't really test it coz' people were opening and closing doors and i didn't want to blast loud. it wsa the only car (out of 4) with ml, but initial feel was that the base being a lot stronger than the sc430 (and gs430)

they didn't have exec package of course since that's special order, but at the driving event i spent extensive amount of time in two different ls460l with exec package. i can't say i have tons of knowledge and understanding on them, but hopefully remember most

i hate to say, but i guess if i were to buy a new car, i am going to get hit by depreciation big time anyway. look at my sc430 so in that sense, that's how i determine if something is of "better" values. otherwise, if it's not my dream car, i would say heck wait 3 yrs and get a used one for cheap (wait, that might be exactly what i do....)