LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ka-Ching? LS460 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 12:19 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888

For instance in Korea

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/...8095211910.htm

A situation similar to Taiwan, and elsewhere.

The pricing is to match!
What a way for Times Korea to spread propaganda and to pound on Japanese competitors while emphasize the value of their domestics. One needs to look at the whole automobile market of a country, sometimes even a region, to see if automakers are charging a normal cost. A BigMac combo at Switzerland costs $10 USD while it's a fraction of that in China. Doesn't mean Swiss McD is ripping everyone off.

In many Asian countries, cars are expensive because of various taxes, not because of price gauging. Take Taiwan for example:

- 2006 LS430 base model = $96,900 USD
- 2006 GS350 = $80,800 USD
- 2006 IS250 RWD = $50,200 USD

That seems like a lot. But look at this:

- 2006 Honda Civic 1.8L = $21,000 USD
- 2006 350Z = 63,700 USD
- Mercedes S350L (yes a V6 3.5liter 272hp engine) = $148,700 USD.

It's not just Lexus that's expensive. Lexus has even a greater price advantage in Taiwan compared to the European cars. The same thing with Korea. The government imposes heavy import tax to discourage car buyers from buying imports. However, people who can afford imports would rather pay more and get the better product. It's an universal rule around the world.

If Lexus can sell GS350s at their US pricetag in Taiwan, then people will stop buying fully loaded Camrys, which is about the same price (about 45k USD in Taiwan now)
Old 10-09-06, 01:28 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I think Lexus does not have the price advantage in Europe as in USA, but in Canada, the price advantage of Lexus vs. the Euro luxury brands is not too much different from USA. You should look up how much a S550 cost in Canada . . .
Right, I should have mentioned that Canada is not the exact same case as Europe, where the pricing is different. I have heard lots of complaints from Canadians about the pricing there vs. the US though.

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
What a way for Times Korea to spread propaganda and to pound on Japanese competitors while emphasize the value of their domestics. One needs to look at the whole automobile market of a country, sometimes even a region, to see if automakers are charging a normal cost. A BigMac combo at Switzerland costs $10 USD while it's a fraction of that in China. Doesn't mean Swiss McD is ripping everyone off.

In many Asian countries, cars are expensive because of various taxes, not because of price gauging. Take Taiwan for example:

- 2006 LS430 base model = $96,900 USD
- 2006 GS350 = $80,800 USD
- 2006 IS250 RWD = $50,200 USD

That seems like a lot. But look at this:

- 2006 Honda Civic 1.8L = $21,000 USD
- 2006 350Z = 63,700 USD
- Mercedes S350L (yes a V6 3.5liter 272hp engine) = $148,700 USD.

It's not just Lexus that's expensive. Lexus has even a greater price advantage in Taiwan compared to the European cars. The same thing with Korea. The government imposes heavy import tax to discourage car buyers from buying imports. However, people who can afford imports would rather pay more and get the better product. It's an universal rule around the world.

If Lexus can sell GS350s at their US pricetag in Taiwan, then people will stop buying fully loaded Camrys, which is about the same price (about 45k USD in Taiwan now)
Agreed entirely! I mentioned that the pricing was much higher in the other countries than in the US, but indeed it isn't Lexus that is charging up the wazoo for different countries, the taxes do that.

It's funny, I was in Taiwan earlier in the year, having not been there for over five years, and the Camrys are everywhere now (as taxis in particular)!
Old 10-09-06, 05:26 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus will not price cars to be expensive just because. Leave that to BMW, Porsche and other brands who charge for the name. That is not the Lexus philosophy.
THE LEXUS COVENANT

Lexus will enter the most competitive,
prestigious automobile race in the world.
Over 50 years of Toyota automotive experience
has culminated in the creation of Lexus cars.
They will be the finest cars ever built.

Lexus will win the race because
Lexus will do it right from the start.
Lexus will have the finest
dealer network in the industry.

Lexus will treat each customer
as we would a guest in our home.

If you think you can't, you won't...
If you think you can, you will!
We can, we will.

To treat a customer like a guest in your own home, would you charge them to have a glass of coca cola? No.

Also you just cannot price your car expensively and think people will buy it. The Acura RL/Acura NSX/VW Phaeton/VW W-8 Passat/Inifniti Q45 and even the Audi A8 do not do well or have been discontinued in America because the BRAND was not percieved to be worth the price.

Lexus has moved up and up in price. The orginal LS started at 35k. 17 years later, it starts at 60k. It will reach 100k loaded in 600L h form.

Lexus knew it was coming, and that is why they told dealers to invest over $800 million dollars in their dealerships the last 4 years. B/C they will be moving more and more upmarket and the previous dealerships were not up to par. This shows they see the "big" picture. They could easily have launched this LS in old dealerships. It would have taken away from the total experience.

The Germans have the LUXURY of prestige and being the "status quo" to charge higher prices. They also have expensive unions to pay for. It doesn't matter, people will buy them for the badge. Lexus has slowly gotten this respect, people trust the brand and will pay more for it than its Japanese counterparts.

Lexus could cost MORE than the Germans and people would STILL SAY "oh it has no soul" or "its Japanese, its not real luxury" or "its a fancy Camry".

I feel what Lexus is doing, is the right method. Slow growth and build the BRAND, not build a CAR. Big difference.
Excellent post! I agree with everything.
On another note, it's amazing how true the Lexus covenant turned out. What a company! They really did see the bigger picture back in 89. This is one of the reasons why I love Lexus and would always buy one, it's such a great brand with great stories and tremendous success.

The Lexus story is a story that I have witnessed, which is probably why I am soo passionate about it.

By the way, like many I would never pay over $55k for any Infiniti, Acura or VW. It would just seem too much money. However if I hear a Lexus costs over $70K I'm not shocked and would pay that kind of money as I would do with a MB, BMW and even Audi.
Old 10-09-06, 07:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Right, I should have mentioned that Canada is not the exact same case as Europe, where the pricing is different. I have heard lots of complaints from Canadians about the pricing there vs. the US though.
They complain only because the U.S. car prices sound super cheap using the current currency exchange rate.
As I said in another thread, car prices in Canada did not increase more than in the U.S. the past few years, but Canadian prices were actually "cheaper" than U.S. prices a few years ago because the US$ was much stronger then. We Canadians are not really paying a lot more now using OUR money compared to a few years ago.
Old 10-09-06, 12:29 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey have you all seen these prices yet? They are from JM Lexus in South Florida. I do have the indevidual prices at home. I saw the LS at the Miami Auto show yesturday.

packages w/estimated pricing for SE area

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LS460 #1
Premium package
CP comfort pkg
PA intuitve park assist
Trunk mat, wheel locks...
Approx $63680

LS460 #2
CP comfort pkg
NL Navi/Levinson with HDD and XM radio
PA intuitive park assist
Trunk mat, wheel locks...
Approx $69325

LS460 #3
CP
MZ Lexus Link
NP Navi/Levinson with advanced Parking Guidance, HDD, XM...
PA
PP Power trunk/door closers
Trunk mat, Wheel locks...
Approx $71320

LS460L
AS Air Suspension
LL Luxury pkg. with Semi-Aniline leather
MH Mark Levinson with HDD
MZ Lexus Link
PA Intuitive park assist
PI Advanced Parking Guidance system
Approx $81420

LS460L
LP Exec. Seating pkg
AS
MH
MZ
PA
PI
Approx $91315
Old 10-09-06, 12:40 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$10K extra just for the executive rear seating? Those are some very expensive seats. I could furnish my entire living room for less than that!
Old 10-09-06, 01:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by exBMWowner
$10K extra just for the executive rear seating? Those are some very expensive seats. I could furnish my entire living room for less than that!
I guess Lexus wants to reserve such a seat for such a clientele.

I mean, you have rich people spending $3k to travel from L.A. to N.Y.C. on First Class seats (a total of 12 hours). Might as well have the same people travel everyday for a mere $10k more in their cars...
Old 10-09-06, 01:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

True, it's supposed to be 'like a first class seat' or a 'private jet.' You can bet those people, who pay $10,000+ for the fuel of a flight alone, can afford the LS 460 L Executive Class Four-Seat Package...

Meanwhile, the pricing IMO straddles between reasonable and INCREASE--as journalists in the auto world speak of the latter:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=117063

Lexus Boosts Price on Flagship LS Series
TORRANCE, Calif. — Lexus said its redesigned 2007 LS 460 sedan will start at $61,000, while the new long-wheelbase LS 460L will be priced from $71,000.

Toyota's luxury brand hasn't announced pricing yet on a third variant, the LS 600h, the hybrid, which goes on sale in 2007. The 2006 LS 430 sedan starts at just over $57,000.[...]

What this means to you: Toyota knows it can boost the price on the Lexus LS because someone will happily pay it. That's a nice position to be in as a car company.
Old 10-09-06, 07:08 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow.. $91k eh? looks like $100k for the LS600h L isn't a bad guess after all
Old 10-09-06, 10:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
wow.. $91k eh? looks like $100k for the LS600h L isn't a bad guess after all
yup, imho i think the ls600hl is still in line at 100k

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I guess Lexus wants to reserve such a seat for such a clientele.

I mean, you have rich people spending $3k to travel from L.A. to N.Y.C. on First Class seats (a total of 12 hours). Might as well have the same people travel everyday for a mere $10k more in their cars...
haha very well said. the ls460l with exec package is custom order car, i don't think it's something you see that easily out there. i wouldn't be surprsied that people are paying abit extra for the eclusivity
Old 10-10-06, 03:03 PM
ultraseven
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Wow, never knew the LS400 had standard cloth. Back then, Toyota really must be pushing the "some people want the luxury without leather." I know that was the case with the 2002 Camry. The XLEs had standard cloth and all the luxuries like moonroof, auto a/c, rear sunshade etc.

Yeah, I do remember the time when our cars were cheaper but Idon't think the difference was this great, was it? I mean the new LS has a $20k difference!
The Japanese weren't very leatherphilic back in the 90s, and I'm not sure if they still are at this point. Even the Century comes in cloth, if that puts anything in perspective. Most Americans and Europeans however, prefer leather in luxury cars.

Another point to look at is the rise of the yen since the car was introduced in 1990. The dollar to yen ratio was much better back then. The car is definitely more expensive without a doubt, but it won't be if the currency exchange rate hadn't change as much. That said, the rise of the Euro also made the Europeans makes a lil bit more expensive than they would like to price them. Rolls, Aston, Bentley, etc. are immune because they are in a price unconcious market.
Old 10-10-06, 05:28 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by ultraseven
The Japanese weren't very leatherphilic back in the 90s, and I'm not sure if they still are at this point. Even the Century comes in cloth, if that puts anything in perspective. Most Americans and Europeans however, prefer leather in luxury cars.

Another point to look at is the rise of the yen since the car was introduced in 1990. The dollar to yen ratio was much better back then. The car is definitely more expensive without a doubt, but it won't be if the currency exchange rate hadn't change as much. That said, the rise of the Euro also made the Europeans makes a lil bit more expensive than they would like to price them. Rolls, Aston, Bentley, etc. are immune because they are in a price unconcious market.
Rolls, aston, bentley are also immune because they do not have to worry about honest hard work and innovation. They just have to enjoy the largesse from volkswagen and bmw as well as the loot from colonial era which they are now circulating as hedge funds to raid other countries and corporations.
Old 10-10-06, 06:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, imho i think the ls600hl is still in line at 100k

haha very well said. the ls460l with exec package is custom order car, i don't think it's something you see that easily out there. i wouldn't be surprsied that people are paying abit extra for the eclusivity
yeah, I doubt LS600h will come with executive package standard... So we are comparing it with 81k LS460L with almost everything. Compared to that, I bet premium wont be more than 6-8k, which is Hybrid+AWD premium.

91k for completly loaded 460L is an steal... it is still 5k less than S550 without half of the features...
Old 10-10-06, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well lexus of glendale posted about 85k for ls460l almost loaded except exec.

and man i was holding around 100k for loaded ls600hl including exec package
Old 10-11-06, 12:44 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

It's amazing, the day has come when a Lexus sells for $91,000+...the move into the high-roller segment is something to behold. Fortunately there is the entry level IS/ES to keep, shall we say, younger Lexus buyers in the fold?

Quick Reply: Ka-Ching? LS460 Prices