LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Test drove the LS460 (pics on pg 2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Longo had one for filming for a different show ironically that same day.
that's actually the same car. longo had it for one day after glendale was done with it i believe
Old 07-06-06, 10:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's actually the same car. longo had it for one day after glendale was done with it i believe
Really? My buddy at Longo told me they had the car there in the morning and it was at the dealership for most of the day for filming. Ironically, I saw this post come up about the Glendale event right after I got home that same day.
Old 07-06-06, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Really? My buddy at Longo told me they had the car there in the morning and it was at the dealership for most of the day for filming. Ironically, I saw this post come up about the Glendale event right after I got home that same day.
i believe the car was picked up from glendale some time that day and delievered to longo and they had it till that night

i just heard from people though, since i didn't see the car at all
Old 07-10-06, 08:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Wow, great pics Liz, thanks for sharing.

I was trying to imagine owning one of these and which features I would like. First off - I really like the look of the main instrumentation and nav screen.

Now about all those rear seat controls, I was wondering how often they'd ever get used. My conclusion: never, except to show someone else. If you don't have a chauffeur and you don't take lots of long trips with 3 or 4 people then it will never get used. Also, I don't really get giving up the center seating position to have all those seating controls. But hey, that's just me. It's certainly impressive, but probably not something many people will use.

Same thing with the ottoman - I know the LWB car is long, but can anyone over 5'5" really use the ottoman?

The self parallel parking feature which you have to do a steering wheel workout first to activate - I honestly don't think it's very useful in the U.S. where most people park in a parking space forward or backward, not parallel. I can also imagine Jeremy Clarkson trying it like he did with the distronic cruise on the S550 where he winced as the car came to a stop by itself... I'd be worrying whether the car was going to curb the wheels.

With features like these you wonder how bad the liability, disclaimers and lawsuits are going to get.

Next: the seat controls. There's a BUNCH, on the side of the seat like usual and you have to feel to find which one you need. I'm becoming convinced the new S class way is better (on screen with the one multi-controller). I don't want to have to reach down for each control and then sit up to see if it's right and back and forth. And once its set and memorized it really doesn't change much of course. And no memory settings for the passenger side? What's up with that??? When hubby and wife switch seats on a long drive, wifey hits #2 to get comfy to drive, and hubby has to hold down several buttons to get the seat further back, lower, rake, etc. (assuming as is often the case hubby is taller/bigger).

Finally, buttons. And more buttons. And yet more. I was looking at that pic of the LexusLink buttons overhead and almost lost in the sea of buttons is the moonroof control. I don't want to hit the 'emergency' lexuslink button when trying to get a bit of fresh air. While iDrive may be poorly implemented, and Audi and MB systems not much better, I think they're the right direction. Buttons may be 'impressive' but they're like PC application toolbars - too many icons just becomes confusing and not helpful. Even Microsoft has realized this - their Office 2007 is radically different.

Anyway, overall the car is clearly a big step up from the current LS430 in looks, luxury, power, and room and it will sell very well!
Old 07-10-06, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Now about all those rear seat controls, I was wondering how often they'd ever get used. My conclusion: never, except to show someone else. If you don't have a chauffeur and you don't take lots of long trips with 3 or 4 people then it will never get used. Also, I don't really get giving up the center seating position to have all those seating controls. But hey, that's just me. It's certainly impressive, but probably not something many people will use.
The center seating position is not something anyone would want to be in, even for kids it's not that comfortable, it's usually meant for short trips within the city if you don't have a minivan
Same thing with the ottoman - I know the LWB car is long, but can anyone over 5'5" really use the ottoman?
You're like 6'3", 6'4" right ? I guess as with everything regarding space inside any car, it depends on how tall you are, & if you're Yao Ming, it's never enough
I suppose the ottoman should be good for most people not too much above average in height, which is about 5' 9 to 10" for men, and 5' 4 to 5" for women in America, but of course, everybody have to actually try it themselves in person to decide whether they can be comfortable with it
The self parallel parking feature which you have to do a steering wheel workout first to activate - I honestly don't think it's very useful in the U.S. where most people park in a parking space forward or backward, not parallel.
I agree it's not a well designed mechanism to activate the self-park, I wonder why they have to make it that way
Anyway, overall the car is clearly a big step up from the current LS430 in looks, luxury, power, and room and it will sell very well!
I agree, I just hope the prices would not be too much higher than expected.
Old 07-10-06, 08:58 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just change out the headlamps in the 460 and replace with somethign similar to the ones in the hybrid.. and call it a day. $ 70k couldnt be more well spent for a car like that witht he look of the awesome LS hybrid