LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

hard drive poll/question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
BTW, isn't rominl considering the New LS too? I trust that he for one will mod the hell out of the car. In fact, take a look at the LS430 forum and you'll find all sorts of modding threads. So much for the "main target audience" not modding their cars eh?
oh no man, i am just a ***** cat, how would i dare to mod the new LS if i get it? bone stock for me
Old 05-27-06, 09:22 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
It's funny, all this talk about modding the HDD of the New LS and main target audience would probably never even consider modifying their car, let alone trying to increase the hard disk size.
I think this particular mod that we are discussing here, will appeal to many people. i know that most mods are a matter of taste and the target audience may not want to mod there LS's but young or old and everyone in between will appreciate the convenience of having more room to hold more music.
Old 05-27-06, 10:07 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I think this particular mod that we are discussing here, will appeal to many people. i know that most mods are a matter of taste and the target audience may not want to mod there LS's but young or old and everyone in between will appreciate the convenience of having more room to hold more music.
Don't forget that if this mod is done properly, it should allow direct file transfer from a PC. Beats ripping hundreds of CDs one by one fore sure. Well it's all theories for now.
Old 06-19-06, 07:51 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

What's all the fuss about modifying/hacking through the Hard Drive of the new LS?

Personally... I don't see anything wrong with........

Oh I see what you mean.

I forgot that its only the JDM models of this new LS that get the 30 GB HDD for G-link in addition to the 8 GB audio server while outside Japan markets only get an 8 gig unit.
Old 06-19-06, 09:54 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
What's all the fuss about modifying/hacking through the Hard Drive of the new LS?

Personally... I don't see anything wrong with........

Oh I see what you mean.

I forgot that its only the JDM models of this new LS that get the 30 GB HDD for G-link in addition to the 8 GB audio server while outside Japan markets only get an 8 gig unit.
Um it is actually confirmed that the US version also has the same 30GB harddrive, 8GB of which is partitioned for music and the rest of which is used for navigation. Also, the G-link you're talking about...I thought that's just a wireless phone/data service? What does it have to do with the harddrive? Can it be somehow used to download music wirelessly as well?
Old 06-19-06, 05:27 PM
ischmidt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CL Noob here. I drive an LS and the only real complaint I have is having to use an FM transmitter for my iPod. And the FM band here in Orlando is very crowded, so it's hard to get optimal sound quality that way. So if the HDD is moddable in the 460 I'd be interested, and I might be willing to attempt some of the hacking. One possible option though - in flipside909's review/pictures it looks like there's now an aux in jack inside the center console next to the (existing) power outlet. Can anyone verify if that *is* an audio in jack? None of the official Lexus info I've seen mentions it, but it would be a definite step forward (if not as nice as the full integration in some other cars - doesn't at least once of the Scions have it now too?)
Old 06-19-06, 08:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes i believe it's very likely that there is an aux jack. the 2is has it so i won't be surprised if the ls460 has it. the hdd is nice, but i hate the idea of putting an audio cd and let it rips it, it will take forever to fill up that 8gb.

i would just put in a mp3 cd....

welcome to cl!
Old 06-19-06, 09:01 PM
ischmidt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nifty - I re-read flipside's article and he does specifically say it's an audio input jack. So that's cool. Is it verified that mp3 CDs will work?
Old 06-19-06, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ischmidt
Nifty - I re-read flipside's article and he does specifically say it's an audio input jack. So that's cool. Is it verified that mp3 CDs will work?
the 2is can play mp3 cd. the gs450h can play mp3 cd. i can only hope lexus is not stupid enough to NOT include mp3 cd capability on the new LS
Old 06-21-06, 09:44 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
cloning a hdd is almost the easiest part i think, there are so many programs out there to clone them. so maybe if someone can find the location of the hdd they can easily upgrade it

the problem would be whether the system inside the car can recognize the extra space
location is probably the same was the japanese unit - right behind the nav monitor. the only problem would be the space because anything larger than the 30 gb probably won't fit. maybe if you remove that metal piece that's there, something larger will fit (see pic 2). then another problem will arise...the cooling of the HD.

see links here for location of HD:
pic 1
pic 2

pics taken from this thread
Old 06-21-06, 10:02 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oneeyejack
location is probably the same was the japanese unit - right behind the nav monitor. the only problem would be the space because anything larger than the 30 gb probably won't fit. maybe if you remove that metal piece that's there, something larger will fit (see pic 2). then another problem will arise...the cooling of the HD.

see links here for location of HD:
pic 1
pic 2

pics taken from this thread
Thanks for the awesome pics and info BUT......you must be joking right? When we say a harddrive LARGER than 30gb we're talking about the data capacity not the physical size.

From the pics it looks like it's a standard 2.5" HDD so one can swap it with one of the 100gb ones currently available on the market. We just need to figure out the layout of the filesystem.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 06-21-06 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 10:06 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i was thinking about the old 3.5" ones.
Old 06-21-06, 10:12 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oneeyejack
yeah i was thinking about the old 3.5" ones.
That wouldn't be a very wise thing to do trying to stuff an old 3.5" into a slot designed for 2.5" for sure.

100GB (minus the partition for map data) from a 2.5" is more than enough for music, much more useful than 8GB, at least.

EDIT: Unless of course somebody figures out how to run custom software stored on the HDD, in which case we can dream about developing a DivX/XviD video player, a PlayStation emulator (and link the steering wheel/pedals/shifter to Gran Turismo), and/or a Linux system.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 06-21-06 at 10:23 AM.