LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS will have more tech than any other car in N America

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 01:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up New LS will have more tech than any other car in N America

Source: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...16/006808.html

MINNETONKA, Minn.--May 16, 2006--When it ships later this year the 2007 Lexus LS-460 will have more technology features than any other vehicle offered for sale in the North American Market, according to Telematics Research Group (TRG).

Chief among the Lexus-LS-460's technology offerings is a factory-installed 30GB hard disk drive partitioned for music and navigation. The only other car to offer a factory-installed hard disk drive is the Mercedes S-Class but in this case it is for navigation only.

Another advanced technology on the LS-460 is cameras for lane departure warning and park assist....
http://news.digitaltrends.com/article10425.html

Note the 30-GB HDD which includes NAVI. I think the NAVI is 8 GB, no? Edit: the 2007 Lexus LS teaser site says the audio server is 8 GB. So that leaves 22 GB left over...
Attached Thumbnails New LS will have more tech than any other car in N America-trg_modelcomparison.gif  

Last edited by encore888; 05-16-06 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 02:09 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this post! Technology is one of my 5 key criterion for deciding which car to buy. I am moving from my power-rich but technology-deprived Chrysler 300C to a Lexus LS460 in October. Can't wait! Everyone asks me why I am buying another new car so soon (17 months), and "technology" is my one word answer. This post confirms my previous conclusions.
Old 05-16-06, 02:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I am envious that you'll be among the first in the world to get this amazing new car...'most technologically advanced car in the world' could be the LS slogan.
Old 05-16-06, 02:24 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Originally Posted by enigma354
I am envious that you'll be among the first in the world to get this amazing new car..
I'm not sure I'm going to ORDER all the technology it has. I'm not sure if all those television cameras are worth the money. But I'll make that decision when the prices come out.
Old 05-16-06, 02:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Agreed, it's the luxury of choice--on our LS 430 we didn't order all the gadgets and gizmos, and we still love having a very refined, flagship car with very useful, advanced technologies.

Of course the New LS 460 looks like it will set a standard tough to match.
Old 05-16-06, 10:03 PM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

I wonder will the LS let you program the Navi while driving. I really hope so this time.
Old 05-17-06, 12:50 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, so the harddrive is a 30GB one that is partitioned to give the audio server 8GB. With a few hacks I'm sure people will figure out a way to upgrade it just like the xbox.
Old 05-17-06, 01:18 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blessed
I wonder will the LS let you program the Navi while driving. I really hope so this time.
I don't know if that will happen and actually I think the chance is very iffy that they will do so. Lexus has been rather rigid about 'safety first' and since the New IS/ES with Gen V don't allow it, I don't know if the LS would add it in. But the New ES does allow destination input by voice while driving, so you can program the NAVI while driving...
Old 05-17-06, 02:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blessed
i doubt, personally i don't see that happening on lexus yet, but would be cool though, of course. to me as long as they still keep the same secret code i am ok with it

and btw, it's funny how the article rave about having hdd for the nav system, like it's something fantastic about. i think it's so straight forward, not to mention that all the old nav systems on lexus prior to 2001 were all hdd base.....

and yes, 22gb of hdd space for nav that sounds reasonable, considering the size of all database and also the performance of hdd these days wrt to densities. if it's just 8gb, they might just as well stick with dvd
Old 05-17-06, 09:48 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a gadget freak. HDTVs, mp3 players, TIVO, Xbox360, Treos...love it all. And as much as I love the high tech factor of the new LS, the rapid advancement in technology in all cars makes gives me mixed emotions.

In the past, I bought cars with the intention of keeping them for many years. With my last GS, I bought the car in '98 and it the model pretty much remained the same until I traded it in last summer.

But now it seems that every couple of years brings great tech advancements. Dang it, cars are becoming like computers...outdated so quickly!

Not really complaining, but it makes me hesitant to pluck down $80k and keep a car for 5-7 years. Ha, actually I wish cars were more like computers and we could upgrade certain parts (i.e. the 5th gen nav display that's on the 2006 models except the GS). Never been a huge fan of leasing, but it seems to be the only way to avoid this problem.
Old 05-17-06, 09:59 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Not really complaining, but it makes me hesitant to pluck down $80k and keep a car for 5-7 years.
Plunk it down, keep it for 3 years, and someone will give you $53k for it. $27k over 3 years is $9k a year or $750 a month. Not a bad price for what you get. And you have a $53k start on your next one!
Old 05-17-06, 01:44 PM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

I hope that the secrect code will still work also.
Old 05-17-06, 05:56 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a gadget freak. HDTVs, mp3 players, TIVO, Xbox360, Treos...love it all. And as much as I love the high tech factor of the new LS, the rapid advancement in technology in all cars makes gives me mixed emotions.

In the past, I bought cars with the intention of keeping them for many years. With my last GS, I bought the car in '98 and it the model pretty much remained the same until I traded it in last summer.

But now it seems that every couple of years brings great tech advancements. Dang it, cars are becoming like computers...outdated so quickly!

Not really complaining, but it makes me hesitant to pluck down $80k and keep a car for 5-7 years. Ha, actually I wish cars were more like computers and we could upgrade certain parts (i.e. the 5th gen nav display that's on the 2006 models except the GS). Never been a huge fan of leasing, but it seems to be the only way to avoid this problem.
i feel your pain!! i'm the exact same way. i get disappointed when they introduce new stuff on a car. i've been leasing since 1998 and that's worked out pretty well for me. (i'm on GS #3) in fact if 24-month leases were more common, i'd probably do it.

we've leased just about every lexus now except the RX, and even that one i was starting to get the itch to sell it after 3 years, but it wasn't worth it. hopefully that one will be my first 6-digit mileage lexus. it helps a lot to get a car at or close to launch so it never looks outdated, but the inside tech goodies are what i really love.

after that though, i'm going to stick to leasing from now on. oh, and you could buy and sell 3 years later, but in California you don't recoup the sales tax on a purchase, so a 53k residual costs you more than $4k, increasing your monthly by $115!

back OT - i am seriously considering the LS once the hybrid comes out. the tech on the LS just blows the GS away...
Old 05-17-06, 07:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I think the test of a car includes how its tech ages over time... I have a feeling that the New LS and the future LS 460 (500?) updates will keep the car at the head of the pack.
Old 05-17-06, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

HAHAa, another reason why i am still keeping my old school 98 gs400 with NOTHING in it. so i force myself to get used to something old and not tricked by new stuff. that way when i get my next car hopefully i can keep it for yrs

Quick Reply: New LS will have more tech than any other car in N America