LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rationalization for Long Wheel Base

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06, 08:44 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rationalization for Long Wheel Base

I read the thread on the LWB/SWB poll. Many interesting comments. I can't decide. I really DON'T need the long wheel base for passenger comfort. We seldom have people in the back. So my question is: what are some other advantages of long wheel base over short? A couple that come to mind are: sleeker look, smoother ride... What else?
Old 05-13-06, 09:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

That would be really the main reason for the lwb-passenger roominess.

2nd factor (to me) is the "luxury" factor, considering that you're buying a flagship, it is nice to have that lwb.

If you hardly transport people around, go for the swb since it will/should drive better than the lwb...extra metals/weight....and put that extra $ into your pocket

Much easier parking too and more room in your garage
Old 05-13-06, 04:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
So my question is: what are some other advantages of long wheel base over short? A couple that come to mind are: sleeker look, smoother ride... What else?
Comfort? If you are planning on driving the LS most of the time, the SWB should suffice. If you are going to be driven in the LS, get the LWB. Either-or, it will be a comfortable ride: ultra-quiet and cush.

Handling? The LWB will have a bit more handling (bigger base of support) than the SWB. But I'm pretty sure that with all the electronic nannies of a Lexus, you won't be able to tell a difference.

Smoother? Maybe no difference between the two; the LS is known for ultra-lux ultra-smooth ride, no matter if its the LS430, LS460, or LS460L.

Sleeker? Definately, as an elongated car gives it a wind-swept kinetic style.

Status symbol? Maybe not. The LS in either wheelbase is status symbol enough. For example, I don't see much difference in status between someone driving a 750i vs. 750Li.
Old 05-13-06, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
I read the thread on the LWB/SWB poll. Many interesting comments. I can't decide. I really DON'T need the long wheel base for passenger comfort. We seldom have people in the back. So my question is: what are some other advantages of long wheel base over short? A couple that come to mind are: sleeker look, smoother ride... What else?
i think from a German standpoint, a lot of it has to do with status. I mean honestly, I never see any LWB or SWB car of this status full with people, 90% its the driver only. Its status.

The LWB also will probably have higher resale and they only weigh maybe 50-100lbs more than the SWB.

Even in reviews of the SWB 745 and 760, they are only very very slightly sportier than the LWB, still too much heft.

I think the LS 430 was roomy enough in the back as it was. The LS 460 is already longer and the LS 460 L should have tons of room.

Finally, pricing could be a consideration and we don't know that yet.
Old 05-13-06, 09:36 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

vehicles with longer wheelbase wont handle as well and they have a larger turning radius as a car with a shorter wheelbase
The following users liked this post:
bjchilds1 (06-06-22)
Old 05-15-06, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

to me it's about the extra space for rear passengers and also the luxury factor to have a big car to stand against the other competitors

for sure i won't be the one enjoying it...
Old 05-15-06, 07:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 135 Posts

Lexus also may not offer some options you want in the SWB version besides the RSES & 4 seat configuration. There may not be an "ultra lux" LS460 SWB, we'll have to wait & see.

A LWB version does not necessarily handles worse than the SWB version if the car is designed to have LWB in mind right from the beginning.
From the reviews of the Jaguar XJ, they didn't seem to find any noticeable difference in handling/ performance between the long & short versions for example.
Old 05-27-06, 08:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

For us a LWB would mean more packages of Costco size items. Geeze...yesterday, we had six cases of Kirkland water in the trunk and a bunch of other Costco sized stuff in the back seat space.

Something about that long back window is sexy.
Old 05-27-06, 09:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by RA40
For us a LWB would mean more packages of Costco size items. Geeze...yesterday, we had six cases of Kirkland water in the trunk and a bunch of other Costco sized stuff in the back seat space.

Something about that long back window is sexy.
It may not be the case for the trunk. The SWB and LWB may have the same trunk space. The extra inches are for the passenger cabin.

Also, if you get the LS600hL, the batteries may end up in the trunk like that of the GS450h, making trunk space very limited compared to the 460L.
Old 05-28-06, 01:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It may not be the case for the trunk. The SWB and LWB may have the same trunk space. The extra inches are for the passenger cabin.
Exaclty...anything that doesn't fit in the trunk goes inside. I'm glad they put the gas tank on the bottom of the car again. Putting it behind the backseat like the earlier generation Lexus cars killed 3-4 cubic feet of space.

I don't remember, does the 460 have a pass through compartment or fold down rear seat?
Old 05-28-06, 04:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I don't remember, does the 460 have a pass through compartment or fold down rear seat?
It's a pass-through compartment. Having fold down seats compromises the design/ergonomics/comfort of the seats, so passenger comfort supercede trunk space.
Old 05-28-06, 05:33 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

LWB and SWB is basically a wannabe mercedes thing. nothing more nothing less. !
Old 05-29-06, 11:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Exaclty...anything that doesn't fit in the trunk goes inside. I'm glad they put the gas tank on the bottom of the car again. Putting it behind the backseat like the earlier generation Lexus cars killed 3-4 cubic feet of space.

lol, this past weekend my wife and i went to costco and got crap load of stuff -- all packed into my sc430..... the ONLY stuff we allowed inside the cabin was the napkins and paper towels. everything else? you gotta be kidding me

that's why i will need to get a van too if i wanna get this car, hehe
Old 05-30-06, 08:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

A Lexus station wagon!

So they have a small sport sedan-IS
mid-sized and mid-sport sedan-ES & GS
luxo barge-LS
convert-SC
SUV's-RX, GX & LX

som-thin's missing...

sport coupe-blah-blah Supra...
station wagon like this Nissan Axis
Attached Thumbnails Rationalization for Long Wheel Base-nissaxs.jpg  
Old 05-30-06, 08:56 PM
Faheta
Driver

Talking Rationalization in the luxury car segment?

Rationalization and luxury sounds like an oxymoron to me. Folks who buy luxury cars are not into the "good enough". Luxury is about "excess".

I think you'd actually have to sit in one to say "damn I want this!" The extra 5 inches draws the line between "I'm sitting in the back" and "I have a chauffeur"

Quick Reply: Rationalization for Long Wheel Base