LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Price Negotiating

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 07:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
Do you guys & gals that know your way around Lexus know of where someone like Big Jimm can eamil or call to complain about the practices he documented above? How stupid do they think we are? Or maybe they sell a lot on the phony markup basis, and we ARE as stupid as they think we are. In any case, does Lexus corporate condone these practices? Grrrrrrrrrr.
you can contact lexus corporate and complain about it. not sure if they could do anything coz' dealerships are technically not breaking any rules. but at least you can bring it to lexus attention

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
I visited So. Florida’s “big” dealership today and I can tell you that just by looking at their existing inventory, they have ridiculous dealer add-ons at crazy prices! On their EXISTING inventory! So, if they're doing it on current inventory, what do you think they will do with new "scarce" models?

I couldn’t believe it! One car had 6,000 for “Body Moulding!” (That’s the tinny “skirt” that goes around the bottom.) I thought it looked honky-tonk. Even the screws showed, big time, on the inside of the fenders where they attached it. And the white paint didn’t even match. And, of course that car had the 4,000 chrome wheels, tinted glass, 295 pin stripes, etc, etc, etc.

The salesman started on me about their taking deposits and explained what a huge waiting list they’re going to have after October .. “probably many months.” I told him that if that’s the case then I’ll have to change my mind and buy something else. He further told me that they expect a “substantial” price bump from the 430 to the 460. (Not a heartening conversation here.)

So, the handwriting is on the wall: they are DEFINITELY going to triple load the LS460’s with unwanted, high cost, exorbitant profit, dealer junk in the beginning .. wherein we can take it or leave it.

I suppose we can’t blame the dealers. They want to make as much money as they can. But, why disguise it? Why not just be honest and add 10,000 over MSRP like Chevy dealers do on Corvettes and be done with it? They’re not kidding anyone.

But, maybe all dealers won’t be the same. And, maybe initial Lexus production will be high. We can cross our fingers.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
jimm, with the ridiculous markup (let's face it, that's markup), i think you can probably just buy the car off some dealerships here in cali (most likely you can get one for msrp), ship it across the US for about 1000 bucks, and you are still way better off. i am serious about this

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
You mean that's not a good deal???
boy i would almot ask if i can buy the car without the wheels -- i will bring my own
Old 05-06-06, 12:24 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price negotiatiing on a newly released model? MSRP isnt bad at all...
Just ask F430 owners how much over MSRP they paid!
Old 05-07-06, 01:35 PM
letsjet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
Price negotiatiing on a newly released model? MSRP isnt bad at all...
Just ask F430 owners how much over MSRP they paid!

F430 owners pay MSRP unless it is a resale.
Old 05-07-06, 08:26 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Generally, youre not going to get MSRP waiting list unless you're a lucky multi-ferrari owner(bought from dealer before, even then thats a LONG list). Also, many people just cant wait. So many, if not most, of the owners you meet paid over msrp.
Old 05-07-06, 10:08 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well like mentioned before they can't just jack up the price, otherwise it's against company rules

but they can have a 2000 bucks windows tint and 4000 bucks chessy chrome wheels. whether the buyer falls for them that's anther story
hm...the dealers can't just jack up the price? maybe this doesn't pertain to bmw dealers because I remember when the current M3's came out they were going for 10-15k more than the msrp. Also other exotic cars such as the Z8 or Z9 were going for $200k+. I thought dealers could mark up the car based upon the demand for the car. I think some toyota dealerships were marking up the current Prius when it came out....well i dunno...
Old 05-08-06, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
hm...the dealers can't just jack up the price? maybe this doesn't pertain to bmw dealers because I remember when the current M3's came out they were going for 10-15k more than the msrp. Also other exotic cars such as the Z8 or Z9 were going for $200k+. I thought dealers could mark up the car based upon the demand for the car. I think some toyota dealerships were marking up the current Prius when it came out....well i dunno...
that rules only apply to lexus. lexus corporate has very strict rules on all the lexus dealerships, that no one can just put on a "markup" on any of the new vehicles

not sure about toyota, others can comment
Old 05-08-06, 01:19 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by letsjet
F430 owners pay MSRP unless it is a resale.

i think when it comes to super-cars...you will most likely expect to pay much more than MSRP for the car...I just watched something on the travel channel that explained how the new Ford GT was being sold for double the cost of the MSRP and the car was still at the factory...My friend recently got a F430 Spyder for around $230k, which I think is the MSRP for the car...he didn't have to pay extra because the dealer has been doing business for him for many many years...however there were stipulations that he could not sell the car out for a year because he would be making roughly 30-50k more for people that wanted the car now...instead of waiting in line like other people....heh...just reminds me when we went to the lexus dealer in the F430 spyder...and we were asking for a job application...lol...
Old 05-08-06, 09:14 PM
LexFather

When I was talking to the BMW guy at the Auto Show he said "his" dealer didn't mark up the M6 but others in Atlanta were doing 20-30k markup and in CA, 50k markup on a 96k car

Lexus is strictly goverened not to markup, its in their covenant "tread every customer like you would in your home" but don't expect anything less than MSRP on this car.

1. The LS 430 has been selling slow now so they are hungry to sell this new model.
2. There is more commission on selling this car.
3. With demand as big as it is, if you don't buy it the first few months, someone else will.
Old 05-08-06, 09:31 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

How much demand IS there for the LS460? I paid my deposit 3 months after it was announced, and I was 13th on my dealer's list. The salesman said they normally do about 12 sales per month on LS's. Anyway, 13 orders (some of which might be cancelled) over a 3 month period doesn't sound like excessive demand. (Of course there is a lot to happen before delivery time...like announcing PRICES! LOL)
Old 05-08-06, 10:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't know about other states, but you have no idea how crazy people are buying cars here in cali. i am pretty darn sure that when the ls460 comes out, they will sell very hot at lesus, it's going to be a shortage imho
Old 05-09-06, 07:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
How much demand IS there for the LS460? I paid my deposit 3 months after it was announced, and I was 13th on my dealer's list. The salesman said they normally do about 12 sales per month on LS's. Anyway, 13 orders (some of which might be cancelled) over a 3 month period doesn't sound like excessive demand. (Of course there is a lot to happen before delivery time...like announcing PRICES! LOL)
Considering the car is really only known to car enthusiasts b/c its only been at auto shows.

Wait until fall when the advertising blitz starts

From my understanding, Lexus really wants this LS to be a grandslam, not a homerun, like the LS of 1989. So expect maybe 100 million in advertising.
Old 05-09-06, 08:23 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just spoke to somebody on this topic,,, he confirmed that he will be giving discounts on the car,,, if it is on the lot....... so no msrp here,,,, and i am in so cali
Old 05-09-06, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by b1gredek
i just spoke to somebody on this topic,,, he confirmed that he will be giving discounts on the car,,, if it is on the lot....... so no msrp here,,,, and i am in so cali
good to know that in cali, competition is big enough to benefit buyers
Old 05-11-06, 12:53 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by b1gredek

Was this at Longo Lexus? I suspect that discounts will be modest however--$500 or $1000....but hey at least it is a not MSRP...
Old 05-11-06, 01:45 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the SC 430 sold out its first six months or so on release, you can bet the LS 460 will fly out of dealers pretty quickly also.

Quick Reply: LS460 Price Negotiating