LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Comparison and Specs for you. BMW 760/Benz S600/Audi A8 W-12/LS 600h

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 07:50 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The Lexus philosophy is not about exclusivity...

and the Lexus owner should expect the same service for their IS250 as their LS460L. The owners may have different needs but they are not stratified. This may be the missing factor that the three pointed star offers like a country club. Maybe the price of the 600h needs to be over $100k to attract such a buyer as Spwolf said. The Lexus culture is not set up for this ultra rich encounter. We are supposed to treat every guest like a friend in our home. I used to sell Rolls-Royce when our full time rep was not available and it was a different type of sale than the Mercedes buyer. The Lexus owners tend to be even more understated even though a lot of them could afford a Rolls. I may need a new wardrobe with a Yachting theme and start getting Robb Report. The 600h will be waiting when the Gulfstream touches down I guess....

Rock
Old 04-13-06, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
and the Lexus owner should expect the same service for their IS250 as their LS460L. The owners may have different needs but they are not stratified. This may be the missing factor that the three pointed star offers like a country club. Maybe the price of the 600h needs to be over $100k to attract such a buyer as Spwolf said. The Lexus culture is not set up for this ultra rich encounter. We are supposed to treat every guest like a friend in our home. I used to sell Rolls-Royce when our full time rep was not available and it was a different type of sale than the Mercedes buyer. The Lexus owners tend to be even more understated even though a lot of them could afford a Rolls. I may need a new wardrobe with a Yachting theme and start getting Robb Report. The 600h will be waiting when the Gulfstream touches down I guess....

Rock
don't get me wrong, rock. in terms of service and such, for sure i won't expect anything different between is250 owners and ls600hl owners. but i am talking about how lexus is going to sell the car, that they won't be pushing the car that hard, nothing close to the ls460 and ls460l. that's still their streamline of sales and wha they focus. they want to sell the 600hl to people for exclusivity status.

andrew, you are one damn lucky guy! i have seen both sl65 and cl65 in person at the dealership, but of course everything was locked up tight, which was what i expected.

and GRAND_LS 4, you suck dude
Old 04-13-06, 04:23 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and GRAND_LS 4, you suck dude
Thats what you get for saying LS460h
Old 04-18-06, 07:37 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Well, I happen to have a chance last year to sit in a brand new SL65 inside a dealership, that's the most expensive car in the MB line-up.
You forgot about the SLR McLaren... this is the most expensive in MB line-up. Before I saw the SLR in person, I thought there was no big difference in the SL65 and SLR, boy was I wrong. The SL65 looks plain jane next to the SLR. SLR is a beast for sure. I got to see them side buy side.
Old 04-18-06, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Haha yes, I was thinking only about the regular production MB's. But I like the SL class WAY better than the SLR, the SLR is not a good looking car to me at all, I'd take a SL65 or SL55 over it anytime & go for the other exotics like the Carrera GT etc.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-18-06 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Haha yes, I was thinking only about the regular production MB's. But I like the SL class WAY better than the SLR, the SLR is not a good looking car to me at all, I'd take a SL65 or SL55 over it anytime & go for the other exotics like the Carrera GT etc.
a bit OT, but same here. i have seen the slr before, picture or in person, the car still looks ugly to me
Old 04-19-06, 06:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh...

The way they (MB) design their new steering wheels.... disgusting!!!

It looks like something from the 50s and I'm not liking that.

Seriously, the only steering wheel design that I love from any new Benz was from the latest A-Class.

This one (and the one on the M-Class) make me puke like *****...
Old 05-06-06, 09:42 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually i talked to lexus marketing people about this, that how lexus is going to use the "same" car (LS) to capture such a big market. that seems like a very tough job.

basically they are going to have the ls460 base with a very affordable price, just like the current ones, that will continue to dominant its segment. but this time arond lexus will have the L, and also the ultimate 600hl. the L is going to grab more buyers from the s class and also the 750il, both from a size and price stand point of view.

and then there is the 600hl, which is head to head with the s600 and the 760il. however, from what i was told, lexus will NOT go out hard and advertise on the 600hl. they will let people know such a car exists, but they won't spend too much effort to sell it to public. i was told that i shouldn't expect to walk into the dealership and see a 600hl sittingthere waiting to be sold.

instead, they are going to reach out in private channels and such, directly to the target audience / buyer, and sell the exclusivity and class. basically dealership will bring the car to the person to sell it. i think this is pretty interesting.

while different, it's somewhat similar to mb and bmw anyway. you go to bmw and mb dealerships, you can almost always find a s430 or the 750il sitting there where you can sit in and feel it. but you don't see a s600 or 760il most of the time. they don't expect to sell a lot of them anyway, and they don't want to have that car in the show room since they don't want everyone from the street to just sit in them.

and if you look at the price of s class. the s550 starts at 85k, and the s600 goes as high as around 140k. so that's about 60k difference.

now look at the ls460, ls460l, and the ls600hl. keep in mind there is no s class that compete with ls460 directly (no swb s class in the US i think). so assume the ls460 starts at around mid 50s, and the ls460h starting at around mid 60s, if the ls600hl caps at around 100 to 110, that's about 40 to 50k difference. kinda "on par" with mb ratio wise

but then, what do i know..... i am still hoping for lexus to hire me
It doesnt make sense why LS460 will be in mid 50s but LS 460L will be in mid 60s? I doubt if there will be 8,000-10,000$ difference between SWB and LWB versions.

Price differential b/w A8 SWB and LWB is 4,000$ , same for 7-series.

Also, I believe that with the arrival of LS 460, lexus should move away from massive under-cutting. I have a bad-feeling about the long-term ramifications of this cut-rate strategy at a global level. May be okay in US, but globally? Is it a good idea to undercut your competitors by 24% (as seen b/w LS and 7-series) and 48% (as seen b/w LS and S550).

If I were brand-strategist at Lexus, I would take this Model change opportunity to close the gap in pricing by placing

LS 460: 68-69 K
LS 460L : 72-73K. and go from there, content and options being similar to A8 and 7-series.

Sure the sales might drop slightly, as there will be few buyers who will tell themselves "why buy similar priced japanese luxury when I can get german luxury for same price", but there will also be a lot of trend-setters who will go for the new LS. The LWB will further boost Lexus in this regard.

LS 460 has

1. More cutting edge technology than even S550, advanced safety features etc etc
2. 8-Speed tranny
3. 5 year old LS is more reliable than new A8 and 7-series.
4. best in class service
5. best in class power
6. Significantly improved handling (I hope this time it will match BMW)
7. Un-surpassed craftsmanship.

In my opinion, if lexus harbors vision to become global brand like BMW and Benz, they should move away from cut-rate philosophy.
Old 05-07-06, 12:44 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

have you seen an SLR up close in real life? (I think in pictures and games the thing looks like a joke,) In person, it's quite stunning. Something to stand and look at, not just drive by, to absorb the full impact of.

SL65 looks barely any different than the 55, and even worse the SL500. Not a good selling point for a car that costs 200k.

SLR is different than other exotics. It offers the acceleration, and tries to offer the handling of those exotics, but is still a Benz at heart. Big, heavy, with alot of punch, more like AMG style than McLaren. It's an exotic tourer. Thats their selling point.

CGT etc. are all real thoroughbred race cars for the street.

Back on topic. If the LS600hL timing were in sync with mine, I would definitely consider it a much more sensible option than the german alternatives.

But as far as being a complete market dominator, I would have my doubts. In a way, its too sensible. The styling is too conservative to significantly impact the market for s600, 760Li; the vehicle as a status symbol follows along the same lines. It is not outlandish enough.
Image and emotion have alot more of an effect when playing with the 100k+ crowd; the emotions illicited by the LS600hL are not so much "WOW" as "Hmm, not bad". IMO, LS600hL:s600 ; S600:BGT.

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 05-07-06 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-07-06, 02:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Stevekil
It doesnt make sense why LS460 will be in mid 50s but LS 460L will be in mid 60s? I doubt if there will be 8,000-10,000$ difference between SWB and LWB versions.

Price differential b/w A8 SWB and LWB is 4,000$ , same for 7-series.

Also, I believe that with the arrival of LS 460, lexus should move away from massive under-cutting. I have a bad-feeling about the long-term ramifications of this cut-rate strategy at a global level. May be okay in US, but globally? Is it a good idea to undercut your competitors by 24% (as seen b/w LS and 7-series) and 48% (as seen b/w LS and S550).

If I were brand-strategist at Lexus, I would take this Model change opportunity to close the gap in pricing by placing

LS 460: 68-69 K
LS 460L : 72-73K. and go from there, content and options being similar to A8 and 7-series.

Sure the sales might drop slightly, as there will be few buyers who will tell themselves "why buy similar priced japanese luxury when I can get german luxury for same price", but there will also be a lot of trend-setters who will go for the new LS. The LWB will further boost Lexus in this regard.

LS 460 has

1. More cutting edge technology than even S550, advanced safety features etc etc
2. 8-Speed tranny
3. 5 year old LS is more reliable than new A8 and 7-series.
4. best in class service
5. best in class power
6. Significantly improved handling (I hope this time it will match BMW)
7. Un-surpassed craftsmanship.

In my opinion, if lexus harbors vision to become global brand like BMW and Benz, they should move away from cut-rate philosophy.
certain stuff are standard on ls460l when they are option on the ls460, so the base price of the ls460l isn't just that couple inches of extra metal than the ls460...

and lexus has made it clear that why they will continue to go head to head with mb and bimmer (and this time the battle is even closer), they are not to "abandone" what they have succeeded on, that's to provide bargains to the general people. that's why they are going to have this huge price range gap, so normal people can enjoy the car, and high end users can have their 'exclusive" onees
Old 05-07-06, 09:36 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

.. a Z06 corvette, which is a true sports car, can blow the doors off the S65 in a straight line & on the track.
AMEN!!

Big Jimm
So. Fla.