LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cross shopping for a New LS, 7 Series or S Class?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 06:10 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by m500
Its up to you wither you're looking for performance, Image or reliability and if you plan to own it or not. I was cross shopping the same car with additional choice of Infinii M45 fully loaded. Having recall my pass experience with trips I have to made to BMW & Mercedes services for things other then routine maintenance, I finally decided to go with LS. This is my first Lexus and I hope this will be the starting of the great long term brand loyalty. To me the bottom line is reliability as I do not have as much time as before and this will be my wife's car, so I wanted something that will be quote "You set it and forget it" type of reliability. Once I reach this decision my choice was very simple, you can't go wrong with Japanese reliablity.

Image = Mercedes
Performance = BMW
Quality = Lexus

Lease = BMW (Free maintenance)
Buy = Lexus (Worry Free)

Best customer service experience = Mercedes
Worst customer service experience = BMW
Well said and I agree with you m500. However, Lexus is really starting to turn the table here with the image and the peformance.

I love my service experiences with Lexus because I've gotten to know some of the service advisors and the techs at the dealers I go to.

MBs service is so-so because there are waaaay too many cars getting serviced.

BMW-I've had good customer experiences with one dealer and not so good with another, so pretty much it's location-dependent.
Old 03-21-06, 06:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I agree, I saw the new S a few times on the road the past couple weeks, & I was actually a little shocked that I don't find it impressive at all even in person.
I fully expect to like it more in person, since most of the time, I would usually like a car more after I've seen it in person, but not with this new S. Even my favourite part of the car in pics, the front end, doesn't look that good in person.
Well I saw a silver one today with the multi spoke wheels and still this face

I'm not turning this into an s bummer thread here. I have to give it more chance to see it up in person and stare at it in the face
Old 03-21-06, 09:00 PM
letsjet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined this forum ( I think this is my 1st post - I'll find out after I hit the submit reply button) because I saw the LS460 at the Detroit show. I've been in the market for an S600 or BMW 760li for awhile. I love the engine in the MB and the room in the BMW. But both have terrible reliability and the electronics are not up to par. So I've been reluctant to pull the trigger. Kind of sad when you think about it. That you can't feel good about getting the flagship BMW or MB.

The Lexus is interesting and the features look nice. So, I think it is now between the LS600 and the Audi A8. I had a chance to check out the Audi and was impressed with the room, electronics, awd, and reliability...................

When are we going to get more info on the LS460 / 600? I might not be able to hold out.....
Old 03-22-06, 05:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by letsjet
. . . The Lexus is interesting and the features look nice. So, I think it is now between the LS600 and the Audi A8. I had a chance to check out the Audi and was impressed with the room, electronics, awd, and reliability...................

When are we going to get more info on the LS460 / 600? I might not be able to hold out.....
The Audi A8 is my favourite large luxury sedan right now, it's gorgeous inside & out, I haven't seen the LS460 in person yet, but just from pics, I still like the exterior appearance of the A8 more. However, Audi's have never been known to have reliable electronics, & flagship cars like the A8 & LS are loaded with electronics, that could be a major factor in favour of the Lexus LS for me.

The LS600h will be introduced in the New York Autoshow in April, & we will probably get more details on the LS460 there, & in upcoming autoshows as well.
Old 03-22-06, 08:13 PM
letsjet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
The Audi A8 is my favourite large luxury sedan right now, it's gorgeous inside & out, I haven't seen the LS460 in person yet, but just from pics, I still like the exterior appearance of the A8 more. However, Audi's have never been known to have reliable electronics, & flagship cars like the A8 & LS are loaded with electronics, that could be a major factor in favour of the Lexus LS for me.

The LS600h will be introduced in the New York Autoshow in April, & we will probably get more details on the LS460 there, & in upcoming autoshows as well.

Well they both have lux. features.........

Both have AWD

Both have big adjustable rear seating

Both have cooler option

I can tell you I like the design of the electronics layout on the A8 much better then the MB (w221) or the BMW. Much faster and less menu action........

I look forward to learning more about the LS. Are they going to allow you to get inside it in NY? How about pricing, are they going to release it?

I'm a little less jazzed about the 600 because it's a hybrid. I have no idea how much that system is going to cost to repair.
Old 04-04-06, 10:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by letsjet
Well they both have lux. features.........

Both have AWD

Both have big adjustable rear seating

Both have cooler option

I can tell you I like the design of the electronics layout on the A8 much better then the MB (w221) or the BMW. Much faster and less menu action........

I look forward to learning more about the LS. Are they going to allow you to get inside it in NY? How about pricing, are they going to release it?

I'm a little less jazzed about the 600 because it's a hybrid. I have no idea how much that system is going to cost to repair.
lexus gives 8 yr 100k mile warranties on all hybrid components, motor, motor drives, batteries etc
Old 05-02-06, 09:45 AM
mparos
Driver School Candidate

Red face Handling & brakes are the issues.

Yes, I am considering one of these three and have driven the 750i & S550 within the last couple of weeks. The BMW is still the best "driver's car" and the brakes are fantastic, better than the S550. Having had a Lexus LS before, these two important apsects concern me. Will Lexus really build a car that handles as well as a BMW and will the LS460 brakes function as efficiently as the BMW. If they do, I will be a buyer. It appears that the LS460 does have a new suspension design but how well it corners is another matter.
Old 05-02-06, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

like i have said it before. i highly doubt the ls460 is going to handle close to the 750i. lexus hasn't been really focusing that much on handling after all, they are aim for comfort and other aspect

and braking, i know what you mean with the 750i. the brakes on the ls430 i test drove are actually vey very good. very powerful. but maybe you are talking about the mushy feeling, which could be corrected by changing to ss lines. i have to admit though, the bmw has very good braking feedback
Old 05-02-06, 01:41 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

My criteria for new cars is:

Power
Styling
Luxury/comfort
Technology
Price

First, I exclude all MB, because they are ugly. Never ever drove one. Styling = F. Next, on power, I don't want to buy anything that goes 0-60 slower than my current car at 5.6 seconds. MBW 750 = 5.8; Audi A8 = 6.3. Six point three--yuk! End of Audi, even though the car is BEAUTIFUL! I just sold an Audi, and the service at my dealers was very good. Finally, I owned a BMW 745i, and it had so many mechanical problems that my dealer took it back and gave me an X5, and the end result of the swap was $11,000 in my favor. So I don't want another BMW.

My take on the Lexus 460 is as follows: Power at 0-60 = 5.5 sec or less is fine; styling is OK, but not exceptional; Luxury/comfort is very good; Technology is EXCELLENT; and Price expected to be very good.

Thats my take; thats why I have a LS460 and an LS460hybrid on order.
Old 05-02-06, 01:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The new autocar article says that the New LS has brake-by-wire, I hope this is more reliable than the Mercedes braking debacle:
Old 05-02-06, 02:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i thought brake by wire has been in a lot of cars, no?
Old 05-02-06, 07:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Name the first Lexus model to offer Bosch's brake-by-wire system.

Answer: The 2006 Lexus GS430.
Old 05-02-06, 09:44 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The New S looks horrible in person. It's those huge artificial wheel wells that kill the car. Just doesn't look well-proportioned around the wheels at all....thereby demeaning the lines of the whole car.

The 7 still doesn't look good enough to buy, but it handles incredibly well as do all BMWs...which is remarkable for such a big car. When I was in one, I was thoroughly impressed with the performance...but when we got out of the car, I still frowned. That exterior is still

I'd rather have the Audi A8, or better yet the A12...but unfortunately the A12 only comes in the long-wheelbase version, I think. The new Audi/VW snout is almost plausible on the larger A8 sedans, but that nose really bothers me on the A4, A6 and all VWs. Why such a HUGE grille?

Which brings me to the new LS. I don't think the exterior is "take-your-breath-away" nice, but at least it's very clean and purposeful.

But that interior is to die for. Couple that with Lexus reliability and solid engine performance, and you have a winner. I know the Lexus LS is gonna ride soft as marshmallows...rolling over when pressed around any significant bend, curtailing any sense of driving adventure. But that can be remedied later with suspension mods. You can't remedy other things, like that Bangled BMW exterior, or those god-awful wheel wells on the Merc, or that stupid I-drive in the Bimmer, or...well, you get the idea.

The new LS is gonna look incredible lowered with a body kit and some upscale rims. It will be the best looking of all of these cars once modded. Mods can't save the Mercedes, but they almost save the BMW. I have seen a nice Alpina kit on the new 7 riding on deep-dish 22s, and then Bangle's design looked pretty damn good.

In the end, give me the LS, and let the suspension and exterior modding begin.

Last edited by KevinGS; 05-09-06 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-03-06, 09:14 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Hello all -

I'm new on here as of today.

Looking forward to getting one of the FIRST LS 460's.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 05-03-06, 09:16 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Welcom, BJ. Do you have one on order? How many ahead of you at your dealers?

Quick Reply: Cross shopping for a New LS, 7 Series or S Class?