LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

WHY toyota...WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 07:31 AM
LexFather

HOLY THEY SHARE 4 DOORS AND A STEERING WHEEL BATMAN!!!

I must say I don't like how they BOTH have the Bangle butt , even if its a small butt
Old 01-14-06, 07:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
HOLY THEY SHARE 4 DOORS AND A STEERING WHEEL BATMAN!!!

I must say I don't like how they BOTH have the Bangle butt , even if its a small butt
For those who care about it looking like a $70K car, some may mistake the new LS from a distance from the side & the back for a 7 series , that's a $90K -$130K +car
Old 01-14-06, 08:16 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a little troubled/puzzled by this as well. Others mentioned the taillights of the ES resemble the LS's too. I know they don't look exactly alike. But why the similarity among several Toyota/Lexus vehicles?
Old 01-14-06, 09:25 AM
Mandingo
Driver

I actually agree with the original poster - from the back, in the same color, the average person couldn't tell the difference.

Side view is also very close.

Helps sell a lot of Camrys I'm sure "a Lexus look alike for $40k less!" but would make me hesitate to invest in a 460.
Attached Thumbnails WHY toyota...WHY?-ls-camry.jpg  
Old 01-14-06, 10:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

seriously i am so tired and can't really understand all these "omg this looks like that" discussion.... what's the point? for god's sake they all have 4 wheels, they all look so damn alike in my eyes..... if someone comes and say hey your camry is nice (when i have a ls), i can really care less about what he thinks already, coz' he's an idiot in my eyes for all i care. i think we should just serioulsy knock off all these discussions.......
Old 01-14-06, 10:34 AM
Mandingo
Driver

rominl,

sounds like you're the ideal customer for the hot new model below.

Only has 3 wheels but hey, its only one wheel difference and they all look basically alike.

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-06, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Yes, I always tend to look at a car as a whole rather than it's individual parts. It's always very easy for anyone to isolate certain parts/angles of a car and find examples of other cars that it looks similar to(same family or not).
It has been discussed in the Car Chat thread that the new LS looks like a 7 series, & now it looks like a Camry & has ES tail lights, so which one is it ?? A $25-30K Camry look-alike or a $90-130K 7 series look-alike ??
Old 01-14-06, 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandingo
rominl,

sounds like you're the ideal customer for the hot new model below.

Only has 3 wheels but hey, its only one wheel difference and they all look basically alike.

hahaha there you go man, sounds like need one of those easy

and yeah, if we wanna talk about similar, i think the 7 series is way ahead of teh camry. but do i care? no, maybe just one initial statement. if lexus can copy and perfect it, i am fine with it.
Old 01-14-06, 11:25 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

most everyone buys a luxury car so they can stand out in one way or another, so its complete bull when they say that they dont care if it looks like a car thats 40k less even if its a reliable toyota
Old 01-14-06, 11:42 AM
Agent0986
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely agree with the above post ^
Especially when I'm dishing out enough
money to be potentially driving an M5.

Also, the old LS was quite distinct looking...
maybe a little Avalon blood but hey at least
thats Toyota's flagship. And well before the "stupid"
people would walk up to you and say
nice "avalon"....now nice "camry"

Last edited by Agent0986; 01-14-06 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-14-06, 12:25 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
most everyone buys a luxury car so they can stand out in one way or another, so its complete bull when they say that they dont care if it looks like a car thats 40k less even if its a reliable toyota
And that’s exactly right. Maybe it doesn’t look EXACTLY the same, but why make them similar? Has Toyota run out of designs? It’s called product differentiation.

rominl, what ever happened to all the talk about exclusivity? Would you spend $1k on JP's if you could buy ones that looked VERY similar but inferior for $150 a pair made by JP for example?

My only point is they should make the LS a little more exclusive. Make the Camry look like the ES, or IS instead… not the LS. Not to mention that Toyota should separate the designers from the two child companies.

The recipe changes completely changes when you talk high-end luxury cars. Lexus is already stealing customers from Mercedes and BMW, buy offering class leading reliablity and design, would it hurt to add a bit of exclusivity? After all, that why people buy BMW's and benzes to start with. And thats what the segment wants.
Old 01-14-06, 12:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The current LS430 is like a big Toyota crown if you judge by the looks, & actually the crown looks better IMHO. I much prefer the new LS460 over the LS430 easy.
The new LS looks WAY more exclusive to me than the new Camry already just by the pictures alone, & the difference will be further magnified many folds when you get to see them both in person.
The current S class is also ~$40K more( at least, could be much,much, more) than the 4 cylinder C class & people have critisized in the past that it's a baby S class, why did they make them look so similar it's hard to tell them apart especially a distance? That's bad for S class owners. Why buy an S class when you can get a C class that looks so similar & save at least $40K ? Yeah ,a 4 banger C class is still a Mercedes
In the end, it really didn't matter as both of them continue to sell successfully. The same will happen to the new LS & the Camry, just wait & see . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-14-06 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 01:01 PM
SMC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty much the same as Benz C class, when that first came out I saw lots of resemblance between the 2 cars. Now they are just different.
Old 01-14-06, 03:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still see a lot of resemblance between the C-class and current Camry, for some reason. I know it doesn't make logical sense, but for some reason a black Camry and black C-class ring bells for me...

I agree that the rear lights look similar (Hyundai Sonata as well!); they also resemble the 2LS rear. I think the 2IS rear is the best of the L-Finessed designs.

That said, I think the rest of the car looks very different, and exclusive...
Attached Thumbnails WHY toyota...WHY?-image.html5.jpg  
Old 01-14-06, 05:25 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, if u wanna defend Lexus, u can also say that most of Benz line look alot alike

Quick Reply: WHY toyota...WHY?