Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Lexus to stretch flagship sedan; LS 460 also will offer industry's first hybrid V-8

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 11:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
It's about time that the LS will have the long wheelbase
Sorry to say but it makes more "worthy" to compete with the big boys now: S-class, 7 series, and the A8.
LWB version of S class is less than 5 in. longer & less than 50 lb. heavier than SWB version but cost Canadian$6,000 more. Sure enough, it's more comfortable for backseats passengers, but it strikes me that amount of extra metal & interior lining is worth that much
LWB version = higher profit margins for the manufacturer

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-06-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-06-05, 04:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
LWB version of S class is less than 5 in. longer & less than 50 lb. heavier than SWB version but cost Canadian$6,000 more. Sure enough, it's more comfortable for backseats passengers, but it strikes me that amount of extra metal & interior lining is worth that much
actually i always wonder about it, does lwb only means more metal and that's it? how about reinforcement, structural strength, turning, and handling?

i mean, 5 in is A LOT to just put on. considering the weight of the car, maybe more structural reinforcement needed, straonger body frame needed? plus, the handling of the car will get quite worse with 5in longer wb, does that mean they change something to compensate the handling?

dunno, just asking. if they do make something difference on those aspect, then the higher price tag might be sorta justified
Old 05-06-05, 05:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember our old 300 SEL...purchased just one year before the debut of the LS! Now that back seat was cavernous!!! It was literally like your living room. We'd squeeze in four people (3 adults plus 1 kid) in the backseat on long trips, and still be comfortable! My little brother would play on the floor, with the adults sitting on the back seat...amazing room! Now the LS currently is great, and not all that different from current S-classes...gone are the days when the SEL was the gold standard. But a stretched LS...I'm all for it!!! Hopefully the styling will be cohesive on the LS 460 and LS460L models.
Old 05-06-05, 06:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
actually i always wonder about it, does lwb only means more metal and that's it? how about reinforcement, structural strength, turning, and handling?

i mean, 5 in is A LOT to just put on. considering the weight of the car, maybe more structural reinforcement needed, straonger body frame needed? plus, the handling of the car will get quite worse with 5in longer wb, does that mean they change something to compensate the handling?

dunno, just asking. if they do make something difference on those aspect, then the higher price tag might be sorta justified
I sort of wonder about that too. Actually I' ve asked both MB & BMW salesmen about the big difference in price between the long & short versions of the S430 & 7 series here & the apparent small difference in weight/materials, they just shrug their shoulders & smile & say 4 inches would make a tall person much more comfortable sitting in the back to justify.
I kinda doubt about more structural reinforcement though, if that's the case the weight difference should have been significantly more than just ~50 lbs.
However, you can look at it as another expensive option, options always increase the margins for the manufacturer/dealer anyway, the more loaded with options the car, the higher profit margin for the dealer/manufacturer.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-06-05 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-06-05, 06:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah that's very intreresting. i don't know maybe some more people can chime in
Old 05-06-05, 06:56 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, hopefully this'll put pressure on MB to sell more SWB versions in the US instead of the 6cyl versions. They're pretty much the only ones not to offer SWB and LWB versions (that is, if Lexus follows through on this).
Old 05-07-05, 09:27 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
What I meant "worthy" is more of an image/stance aspect instead of the "more dollar for the more materials" used.

Also with that extra length, doesn't the drive shaft have to be extended also?

If you look at the long wheelbase, especially the S class, like what enigma said, it's cavernous vs the short wheelbase.
Old 06-29-05, 12:18 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another day, another scoop

On the top of the cover page it says the LS600h will be released in fall '06, powered by 450ps hybrid powertrain with a 4.6L V8, along with a sketch.

On the other hand, here's another magazine page with the same sketch and horsepower rating but says it'll be a 5L V8.
Old 06-29-05, 03:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
On the top of the cover page it says the LS600h will be released in fall '06, powered by 450ps hybrid powertrain with a 4.6L V8, along with a sketch.

On the other hand, here's another magazine page with the same sketch and horsepower rating but says it'll be a 5L V8.
Those wheels and the tail lights look like they might be legit ... wheels remind of the LS test mule caught in Germany, and the tails remind me of the LF-S tails.

I envision the new LS to have the same smooth lines as the LF-S, with a different grill, larger headlights, and possibly the same tails.
Old 06-30-05, 08:46 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Smaller car Parking and variety are big in Europe, its rare to see a car with only 1 way to do things.. Many want the prestige of the big boy class but don't need all the room. So a SWB is perfect. Most LWB are only 50-100lbs heavier so there is pretty much no gain in preformance though.

Maybe Richie can chime in?
If you look at Europe, the best sellers are the compact cars, like VW Golf. People in Europe are used to smaller cars. The LWB models were designed for the US and Middle East markets in mind, where roads are bigger, less crowded, and ... most important ... where gas is cheap.
Bigger car ... means more gas.

Remember that in Europe gas is 3x the US price. Also, most 7-series, S-class, A8 in Europe are sold with state-of-the-art Diesel engines!!!
Old 06-30-05, 08:50 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

IMO ... the LS600h will be a HUGE bet.

Most people in top class, may want a 12-cylinder for more prestige, rather than the 'Hybrid' technology to claim that the car is more 'Green'.

Also, the introduction of new technology may 'jeopardize' the reliability of the car, at least no one knows how it will hold in 4-5 years time, causing the resell value to be a big question.
Old 07-01-05, 05:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The Toyota hybrids had been out a few years & has proven to be one of the most reliable cars. As for the battery packs, Toyota claims it will last 180000 miles, that may not be the lifetime of a car nowadays, we'll have see if replacement batteries will be required for most & how much their prices will go down if required.
As for depreciation, do you know that the V12's depreciate much worst than the V8 versions too in other luxury brands ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-01-05 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-01-05, 06:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by HKGS300
Remember that in Europe gas is 3x the US price.
Gas in the UK (the most expensive in Europe I believe) is now about $6 a U.S. gallon. It's about $2.50 here in the U.S. so a bit of a way off 3x but still expensive!
Old 07-01-05, 06:54 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
that's hat i was talking about!!!!! nice stuf!!!!

and it's right that they don't call the v8 hybrid to be ls460h, that doesn't make sense. ls600h that sounds great!!!!!

and longer wheel base, sound awesome too!!!!!! ok, money off is300, goes to saving, time to start the piggy bank
I disagree It sounds like false advertising id rather they call it a LS460h. LS600h sounds like a 6 liter plus hybrid!
Old 07-01-05, 07:41 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
I disagree It sounds like false advertising id rather they call it a LS460h. LS600h sounds like a 6 liter plus hybrid!
I'm going to have to agree with that. The number have been based on engine size since production, so I'm sure they wont call it a 600h UNLESS it has a 6.0L V8....Speaking of engines, do you think they will make a V12 version like BMW and Mercedes did? The only luxury sedan besides Lexus that doesn't have a V12 is a Jaguar (If you skip Bently and Rolls Royce).

Quick Reply: Lexus to stretch flagship sedan; LS 460 also will offer industry's first hybrid V-8