LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Alignment through Groupon

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 11:53 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Alignment through Groupon

First time I used the service and I am very happy. Alignment and tire rotation for $40 and no taxes to boot. What a deal!

I knew I needed it after I did my lower ball joints about 5 months ago but since I have not been driving much with my work travels and she only had a slight pull to the left I was putting it off thinking I would just do it when I purchase new tires. It was a little worse then I thought. Anyway, my right rear is .1 out of spec. I will have to investigate why this is. Probably lower arm needs replacing.

Tech recommended I do my inner and outer tie rod ends next time I do an alignment because of some rusting issues on these components from the previous owner living in Raleigh, NC. I'm thinking I will get some Moog's or Beck & Arnley's through RockAuto or Amazon and do these when I replace my tires. Just thought I would share.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-20-15 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-20-15, 12:49 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

On a side note, did you know that you can self report services on Lexus Drivers. This way when or if you decide to sell your car you will have a full documentation of the service history.
Old 06-20-15, 02:34 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
On a side note, did you know that you can self report services on Lexus Drivers. This way when or if you decide to sell your car you will have a full documentation of the service history.
Oh yes! I've doing this since i had the car. Very helpful if you ever decide to sell or trade. Also helps the Lexus service department when servicing the car.
Old 06-20-15, 07:19 PM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First time I used the service and I am very happy. Alignment and tire rotation for $40 and no taxes to boot. What a deal!

I knew I needed it after I did my lower ball joints about 5 months ago but since I have not been driving much with my work travels and she only had a slight pull to the left I was putting it off thinking I would just do it when I purchase new tires. It was a little worse then I thought. Anyway, my right rear is .1 out of spec. I will have to investigate why this is. Probably lower arm needs replacing.

Tech recommended I do my inner and outer tie rod ends next time I do an alignment because of some rusting issues on these components from the previous owner living in Raleigh, NC. I'm thinking I will get some Moog's or Beck & Arnley's through RockAuto or Amazon and do these when I replace my tires. Just thought I would share.

If you still have the air suspension on your UL the alignment you received was slightly off. I can tell by the rear camber range, on the ULs it goes down to -2.1 before your in the read. The standard spring and shock cars have a slightly different setup and ranges, I had firestone redo the alignment when they showed me my completed paper and it said standard suspension.
Old 06-21-15, 03:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I do still have air. I need to investigate the right rear. I forgot to mention that I paid for a front alignment only as Lexus aligned the whole car when I did the lower control arm bushings before I replaced my front lower ball joints. They only adjusted the front is what I mean. So are you saying 1.9 is still within spec for the rear air suspension? If they aligned the front based on standard suspension range does that really affect anything? Just means the max ranges are different right? The other possibility is something is a little bit tweaked on that side. 4 days after I purchased the car I was rear ended when the car was parked in a parking lot. It was on the right rear side that took the brunt of the impact. If that camber is maxed at 1.9 I'm wondering if they missed something and I need to go back after the insurance company. The damage was limited to the rear bumper, tail light, some bracing pieces, and a little bit on the trunk.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there too!

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-21-15 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-21-15, 05:28 AM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So are you saying 1.9 is still within spec for the rear air suspension? If they aligned the front based on standard suspension range does that really affect anything? Just means the max ranges are different right? The other possibility is something is a little bit tweaked on that side. 4 days after I purchased the car I was rear ended when the car was parked in a parking lot. It was on the right rear side that took the brunt of the impact. If that camber is maxed at 1.9 I'm wondering if they missed something and I need to go back after the insurance company. The damage was limited to the rear bumper, tail light, some bracing pieces, and a little bit on the trunk.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there too!
1.9 is still in spec for there rears, the alignment should be very close to the correct air numbers, If i recall every measurement was marginally different but based on your alignment your all in the green. Keep in mind you can buy shorter and longer camber arms from Lexus for the rear to reduce or add camber by +/- .75 degrees. You will need another alignment after though and you must reset your air suspension height sensor since they mount to the camber arms.
Old 06-21-15, 09:34 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Makes ya question the Lexus service record if anyone can add to it, maybe I am missing something.
Old 06-21-15, 09:35 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

But also I have never had a car which holds an alignment like the LS.
Old 06-21-15, 10:57 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It specifically says entry by owner when adding information to the service record.

Thank you for the info Zander. It is insightful. When I do my tierod ends I will make sure they pull up the specs with air.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-21-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-21-15, 06:47 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

If front wheel alignment was adjusted, don't forget to calibrate yaw rate and deceleration sensors.

Old 06-21-15, 06:58 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Can this be done via Techstream? Don't remember seeing this before.
Old 06-21-15, 07:10 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Can this be done via Techstream? Don't remember seeing this before.
I'm not sure - came across this requirement while looking up "yaw rate sensor".
Old 06-22-15, 04:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I sent an email to my friend at Lexus of South Atlanta. I will update what they advise and if Techstream can do it. I wonder if this is even normally done?
Old 06-22-15, 06:32 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like my dealer does not do this after an alignment. Did not get an answer if Techstream can do it.

I just confirmed that we DO NOT perform any type of zero-point, yaw rate, or deceleration calibration during or after an alignment.

Colby Willis
Assistant Service Manager
LEXUS SOUTH ATLANTA
Old 06-22-15, 09:40 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

The yaw sensor is simply an instrument to measure how far the vehicle has deviated from its straight course. The yaw measurement is then compared to the steering wheel angle measurement to help the ABS and VSC (vehicle stability control) system to take appropriate actions to correct under-steer or over-steer conditions and keep the vehicle on course. I suspect that an out-of-calibration yaw sensor may degrade the effectiveness of the VSC. This may not be a big concern for normal day-to-day driving.

Quick Reply: Alignment through Groupon