LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Please Help-Lower Control Arm Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 01:59 PM
osprey26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help-Lower Control Arm Bushings?

Hello,

First of all, my name is Mike Cap and I appreciate the knowledge and recommendations from other Club Lexus members. I recently purchased a 2006 LS430 from my parents. The vehicle has about 83,000 miles and it has been well maintained.

Since the car is out of warranty, I took it to Wheel Works in San Jose, California for the 85,000 mile service today. Long story short, they told me that the car needs all 4 rotors resurfaced,, front and rear pads AND the front lower control arm bushings need to be replaced. Apparently, the bushings are cracked.

Question 1) Is this normal for this vehicle year?

Question 2) The price they quoted is roughly $1450; is this a fair price?

I do not have much mechanical knowledge and I am not used to a vehicle this technologically advanced. So, I don't know if this is common or if the shop is trying to upsell me on something that isn't necessary. Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

All the best,
Mike Cap
Old 06-12-15, 02:52 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably needs new pads but unless you have a vibration during braking, do not resurface the rotors. Bushings likely are also cracked but again if your car holds an alignment well and you're not having any symptoms with the suspension then why spend the money. Pads can be purchased for around $50/set and labor to replace is super easy. If you'd rather pay to have it done then an experienced Lexus/Toyota shop should be able to do the labor for a few hundred bucks for front and rear total.
Old 06-12-15, 02:54 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Use OEM pads only also....
Old 06-12-15, 04:18 PM
osprey26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Probably needs new pads but unless you have a vibration during braking, do not resurface the rotors. Bushings likely are also cracked but again if your car holds an alignment well and you're not having any symptoms with the suspension then why spend the money. Pads can be purchased for around $50/set and labor to replace is super easy. If you'd rather pay to have it done then an experienced Lexus/Toyota shop should be able to do the labor for a few hundred bucks for front and rear total.
Originally Posted by ancdmd
Use OEM pads only also....
Thank you for the recommendations. I've done a little research and it sounds like brakes are more important. I believe I can get another 30,000-40,000 miles on the tires as it stands.

Mike Cap
Old 06-12-15, 11:42 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Hey Mike,

That price is way high. First, purchase the parts yourself and pay for labor only! Don't let them mark up everything and who knows what parts you will get. Lexus of South Atlanta can ship the parts to your door for a great price. Then I would call your local Toyota and Lexus dealer and start getting quotes. See if Lexus will match Toyota. Pit them against each other and call other local shops. For example, to resurface the rotors and install pads on the front only was $120 at my local Toyota dealer. This was labor only. OEM pads are $59 for the front. Same for the back. My Lexus dealer matched their quote because they want my business. Lower control arm bushings are about $85 each I believe. Plus you will need an alignment. This job should be more to the tune of $600 in labor and $300 in parts. Do the pads yourself and you only looking at about $400 in labor for the bushing.

Do you feel any shimmy in the brake pedal when braking? If you run your finger over the rotor is there a lip on the edge of the rotors? If not, then your rotors are fine and you can do pads only. The brake pads are also a very easy diy if you are inclined. Your don't even have to remove the calipers if you are not resurfacing the rotors. I mean really easy to swap pads. You don't need to be a mechanic. You barely need any tools. Take the wheel off, pull a couple pins out, remove old pad and clean up the shims, insert new pads and shims, puts the pins back in and you are done. The only reason I did not do my front brakes myself and have O Riley's resurface the rotors for $7 each was because of a very hectic schedule but I always purchase my own parts. Always.

Bushings:
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...wd=&origin=pla

OEM pads:
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...g=brake%20pads

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-13-15 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-13-15, 08:18 AM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

I live in SF so whenever you want to do it, ill do the labor for $120 for the lower control arm bushings. PM me if your interested!
Old 06-13-15, 09:00 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed Akebono ACT870 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic front pads myself and they work fantastic. They are a very easy DIY install... I also did the rears and I think the pad number was ACT871. I believe the fronts were $50 and the rears $44...

Last edited by XJSFan; 06-13-15 at 09:05 AM.