NO Air Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 07:58 AM
Rosson3ri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO Air Suspension Problems

What up guys,

I see that there are many posts on here about UL owners experiencing air suspension problems.

I know that most people come to forums for solutions to their problems but

Please post how many miles and if you still are riding with stock air suspension.

Hopefully this post will ease the mind of many ppl that come on here and see nothing but "air suspension problems"
Old 04-30-15, 11:36 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i don't have a UL but have been patiently looking for a while. Having gone thru the maintenance histories of around 50 ULs i'd say a third perhaps have had a shock replaced, and that includes some number of cars with 100k+ miles. Height sensors appear to be at least as big an issue. Not sure, but i really wonder if that failure rate is any worse than a standard shock. Whats probably causing all the concern is the fact that these buggers are $900 a pop with no alternative source of supply besides OEM.

anyway, air shock reliability doesn't bother me in the least..
Old 04-30-15, 12:04 PM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2004 93k UL and stock air suspension is working perfectly
Old 04-30-15, 12:28 PM
nimboobaba
Driver School Candidate

2004 Ultra with 224k miles, two externally leaking struts and a stuck exhaust valve on the compressor. I was quoted $7k at the dealership to do the struts and did not ask about the compressor. The cost to convert to steel and lower 1" was less than the price of one air strut, very happy with the results.
Old 04-30-15, 12:31 PM
nimboobaba
Driver School Candidate

Old 05-02-15, 05:18 AM
alamberth
Driver School Candidate

My 2006 UL has just shy of 130,000 miles on the orig air struts and (knocking on wood as I type) no issues to report.

I live in a rural, backwoods area so going from the road to my garage involves some gravel and non-paved terrain. It gets a workout - a few times each day up and down isn't out of the question.

Since I like to play with the settings and tinker a bit, I had the idea a few years back to adjust the front height sensors for an oil change. Turned them as high as they would go so I could slide under without needing a jack. After I had to re-adjust manually but it was no NBD.
Old 05-02-15, 12:46 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by alamberth
My 2006 UL has just shy of 130,000 miles on the orig air struts and (knocking on wood as I type) no issues to report.

I live in a rural, backwoods area so going from the road to my garage involves some gravel and non-paved terrain. It gets a workout - a few times each day up and down isn't out of the question.

Since I like to play with the settings and tinker a bit, I had the idea a few years back to adjust the front height sensors for an oil change. Turned them as high as they would go so I could slide under without needing a jack. After I had to re-adjust manually but it was no NBD.
That doesn't sound very safe. I wouldn't trust my life to air shocks.
Old 05-02-15, 01:51 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
That doesn't sound very safe. I wouldn't trust my life to air shocks.
Trust your life on air shocks...? Do you think they explode and send the car off a ravine or something? Air shocks give you the best comfort with reduction of vibration and road imperfections. Riding on air is very comfortable. Why do you think Lexus puts them in all their executive class LS's.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-02-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-02-15, 01:56 PM
vicmost
Driver School Candidate

Default 01 ul ls430

184,xxx original air suspension!
How do I know? No national service history recorded.
(I am in the second owner)
Compressor a bit noisy at times when it's cold....
Old 05-02-15, 02:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vicmost
184,xxx original air suspension!
How do I know? No national service history recorded.
(I am in the second owner)
Compressor a bit noisy at times when it's cold....
There is a couple of bushings that can be replaced at the compressor. This might the cause of your noise.
Old 05-02-15, 02:04 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

'02 UL with 135k. Recently replaced on of the rear height sensors for about $300. No big deal. I like the air suspension. A relative has an '03 with 50k and conventional suspension. It has a nice ride but the air ride is nicer.

When and if it goes, it can be replaced. All the people who are looking to buy an LS and avoid the air amuse me. These cars are like lakefront property. They aren't making them anymore and low mileage cars with good service histories are getting hard to find. Find one, respect it and enjoy it.
Old 05-02-15, 04:36 PM
vicmost
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks! I'll look into that

Thanks, I will look into that
Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
There is a couple of bushings that can be replaced at the compressor. This might the cause of your noise.
Old 05-02-15, 07:16 PM
rubeld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2001 ls430. 198k on original air struts. I know this because I'm 2nd owner and this car has never been touched by outside mechanics. And Lexus had no history of them being replaced. Been driving slammed on asc680 since I bought at 165k. No issues what so ever. *knocking on cherry wood
Old 05-03-15, 07:03 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Trust your life on air shocks...? Do you think they explode and send the car off a ravine or something? Air shocks give you the best comfort with reduction of vibration and road imperfections. Riding on air is very comfortable. Why do you think Lexus puts them in all their executive class LS's.
Did you read what he said he was doing? Monkeying with the air shocks to raise the height and crawling under the car doesn't sound very safe. I would never crawl under a car trusting the air suspension that I had rigged to hold the car up.

Last edited by Bob04; 05-03-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-03-15, 05:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Did you read what he said he was doing? Monkeying with the air shocks to raise the height and crawling under the car doesn't sound very safe. I would never crawl under a car trusting the air suspension that I had rigged to hold the car up.
Oh, you are talking about the height sensors. They are pretty easy to get to. You can raise or lower the car 2 inches or so by adjusting them. I thought about lowering it a little but never got around to adjusting them. You can maybe reach your arm around the tire and behind the caliper but no way you can climb under.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-03-15 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: NO Air Suspension Problems