LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Maintaining Good Paint Finish???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 10:28 AM
Rosson3ri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintaining Good Paint Finish???

What up guys,

I possibly work on the worst industrial ave in Queens, NY. Concrete mix company down the block, scrap yard right across the street & garbage dump right next to that.

The amount of dust, dirt, mix of sand / limestone that gets blown down this block has been and continues to be extremely irritating.

If i park my car on the ave, by the time i get out of work it is always covered in a layer of debris. I wash my car every week for this reason.

Last week i gave her a good wash and wax. Would like to maintain that beautiful pearl shine & finish look as long as possible.

Anyone recommend any products to wash my car with? Or anything to help protect and maintain the finish. I also have chrome rims on my 05 UL. Any products recommended for chrome rims?
Old 04-29-15, 11:16 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd start reading through the Lexus detailing site...
Specifically start with this sticky...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...-coatings.html

Lots of great information all over this site. I'm learning a lot here. Thanks guys.
Old 04-29-15, 11:22 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

a good quality car cover on while at work will prolong you paint finish.
Old 04-29-15, 11:55 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Seriously? Who wants to cover their car every time they get to work? It works, but it is not practical at all.

Read my post on this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tty-again.html

These coatings are the future of car protection, just like those clear wraps they provide very good protection, and at times even better protection than those vinyls could offer. Give them a look.
Old 04-29-15, 12:07 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
NO. Nope nope nope. Car covers are for storage only, not daily drivers. Park and wash the car, put the cover on, leave it. If you put a cover on a car with any kind of dirt or debris already on the paint then the cover will scratch the dirt into the paint.
Old 04-29-15, 01:03 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Seriously? Who wants to cover their car every time they get to work? It works, but it is not practical at all.

Read my post on this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tty-again.html

These coatings are the future of car protection, just like those clear wraps they provide very good protection, and at times even better protection than those vinyls could offer. Give them a look.
i did it for 20+ years in the military and years in civilian work force.you just have to want to do it.
Old 04-29-15, 01:51 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
NO. Nope nope nope. Car covers are for storage only, not daily drivers. Park and wash the car, put the cover on, leave it. If you put a cover on a car with any kind of dirt or debris already on the paint then the cover will scratch the dirt into the paint.
People do more harm to paint finishes by improper washing techniques than utilizing car covers. Like already mentioned, if you don't mind the hassle and have no fear of the cover being stolen, then do a search for a microfiber lined car cover... Read reviews before purchasing
Old 04-30-15, 07:19 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Or... get you a cheap daily driver and safe the LS for those special moments...
Old 05-06-15, 09:39 AM
qball888
Driver School Candidate

Do not use cover, it will damage your paint!

Also use proper washing technics, NEVER scrub your car. Use power wash to blast the dirt and grime off and gently wash with microfiber washing device of your choice. Also use good paint sealer after a good buffing and wax often. I know it could be a lot of work but worth every bit of effort. Google car detail technics and there are tons of info.

Remember what damages your paint the most is you rubbing the dirt against paint whether it's by using a cover or washing improperly.
Old 05-06-15, 09:49 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I honestly don't hand wash my car as much as I should. There is a new drive through wash close to me that does a good job and I have never had any issues. But anyway, I know this is not ideal. I just polish and wax the car twice a year and the paint is in great condition. A good coat of wax goes a long way at protecting the clear coat and paint. There are also high-end coatings that are pretty expensive but last a long time and offer better paint protection. Might be worth while for your needs.
Old 05-06-15, 09:57 AM
qball888
Driver School Candidate

Drive through washes are fine as long as it's the touchless type. Run away if you see anything that will touch your car, they have dirt and grimes from many many cars. And I only use those type of car washes on my 4x4 after its cover in Mud/dirt.......just saying.
Old 05-06-15, 02:19 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by qball888
Drive through washes are fine as long as it's the touchless type. Run away if you see anything that will touch your car, they have dirt and grimes from many many cars. And I only use those type of car washes on my 4x4 after its cover in Mud/dirt.......just saying.
I purchased my 01 over 5 years ago and it has always been a Florida car. The sun here is brutal on car finishes and interiors. I take my car regularly to car washes with the brushes and have it waxed 2 to 3 times a year. The paint shines like new (Millenium Silver) other than the bumper covers which were repainted by the previous owner and are fading. My car is an 01 and does not have the environmentally friendly paint that easily chips. Newer cars are different and I would never never take a late model car to a car wash. Just keep waxing away and using a clay bar as well.
Old 05-06-15, 08:06 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I use Turtle Wax Ice brand car wash liquid that I buy from costco. I wash the car every other week since it is always garaged and the Turtle Wax car wash provides great shine and a layer of protection that keeps water beading and makes removing staining debris like sap and bird poop easy. .
Old 05-07-15, 07:50 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by qball888
Do not use cover, it will damage your paint!

Also use proper washing technics, NEVER scrub your car. Use power wash to blast the dirt and grime off and gently wash with microfiber washing device of your choice. Also use good paint sealer after a good buffing and wax often. I know it could be a lot of work but worth every bit of effort. Google car detail technics and there are tons of info.

Remember what damages your paint the most is you rubbing the dirt against paint whether it's by using a cover or washing improperly.

Your post is excellent but would have more persuasive power if you use the proper word and that word is "techniques".
Old 05-07-15, 11:48 AM
qball888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by campisi
Your post is excellent but would have more persuasive power if you use the proper word and that word is "techniques".

Good to have spelling monitor here on the forum because my spell checker obviously failed me.

Quick Reply: Maintaining Good Paint Finish???