LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wind noise when window is rolled up all the way?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 01:04 AM
Lysmau
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind noise when window is rolled up all the way?

Hey guys, new LS430 owner here. Picked up an '06 with 115k on it about a week ago and the forums have been extremely useful in fixing little issues I've found with the car so far.

I had the infamous window creaking, and solved that with a bit of silicone lubricant on the door seals, the wind noise from the rubber seal on top of the windshield (tape over it worked for now), and the passenger side dash creaking which I fixed by stuffing a bit of felt down in front if it, but I have another issue I haven't really seen addressed.

When my drivers' side window is rolled up all the way, I have some pretty major wind noise coming in. If I lower it down just a bit, the wind noise goes away and it's quiet/normal again. Does anyone know what's causing this, or if there's some kind of fix someone has figured out?

I've noticed that when the window goes up all the way, it presses outwards (away from the car) on the door panel a bit. This is what caused the creaking and it seems as if the way it presses out breaks the seal on the weather stripping, leading to wind noise coming into the cabin. The thing is, all of my weather stripping looks fine, so I'm not quite sure where to go from here. It could be that the seal isn't breaking, and that the door panel being pressed out is somehow catching the wind and introducing wind noise into the cabin, but this seems unlikely as the noise isn't slight, it's quite loud. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-21-15, 06:37 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Here you go. Use it on all the rubber seals around the windows, doors, trunk and hood.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...oor-seals.html
Old 04-23-15, 07:21 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Here you go. Use it on all the rubber seals around the windows, doors, trunk and hood.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...oor-seals.html
I know this is irrelivent, but the wind noise created at the top front of the drive side door is not caused by wind coming into the cabin. The flow is air going out of the cabin, caused by reduced static pressure from the velocity of the car. The inside of the car is more nearly the total pressure and the pressure differential is to the outside. If you don't believe this, just pop the window to a small crack and use a tissue as a gage. Hold it up near the front and you'll see it wants to flow outward. Now move it backward towards the rear of the car. You will see that it gradually bends inward as the external airflow separates from the car and the pressure differential will allow flow into the car.

Sorry about this dissertation, but what's a retired aerospace engineer got to do otherwise?
Old 04-23-15, 08:21 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lysmau, I would try a few things. First, see if you can locate where the air leak supposedly is by doing the tissue test at speed. Or light a cigarette or something and see where the smoke goes, it might be only one small leak somewhere in the weather stripping. Just because the weatherstripping looks ok doesn't mean it's not deformed enough to leak. Make sure you've greased the rubber heavily and thoroughly with Shin Etsu. You might check with a body shop to make sure the door/window frame isn't bent. As a last resort, if you can locate the area where it leaks, try shimming the door frame or the car body with foam camper tape to seal it up.

Most importantly, be sure to update this thread with your findings.