LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking at this LS430 - Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 02:50 PM
shap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at this LS430 - Questions!

Hey guys,

I'm looking at purchasing an LS430. I previously had a GS400 98' that took me to 245k before I traded it.

I'm hoping to get the same trouble free experience (within reason) and was looking for feedback on what to watch out for with this car.

It's a 2003, ultra luxury package. I added the VIN to mylexus and see they recently had the mounts collapse. Is this common? Previous owner did not fix. Would you recommend having Lexus look at the vehicle prior to purchase?

Other common expense I noted on the site was the air suspension. Given 110k and not seeing this replaced, would be be reasonable to expect these to wear in the next 0-30k?

The console below the nav screen is scratched pretty bad. Is this a part I could replace cheaply?

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=111589514

Here is the mylexus history:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya1qauqd6h...story.pdf?dl=0

I appreciate any feedback!
Old 04-20-15, 03:33 PM
andys57
Rookie

Didn't see timing belt replacement in vehicle history (unless I missed it-wouldn't be the first time).
Old 04-20-15, 04:48 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The car looks nice. The scratched part around the NAV is expensive to replace from what I have seen. Will for sure need timing belt and water pump, that could range anywhere from 800-1500 bucks. Seems a little early for collapsed motor and tranny mounts, I had mine done around 150k and it costed around 650.

The air suspension will need work at some point. I jumped on my current UL knowing that would be a need, but I love all of the bells and whistles in the UL and couldn't resist. Plan on 1500-2000 to convert the air suspension to steel.
Old 04-20-15, 06:15 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Get an inspection for 150 bucks from a Lexus dealer and body shop look at it yourself on a rack. Make a final walk around the car with them as you try to point out imperfections. If any overspray is the slightly noticed explore more. Our opinion is just that with no basis. Looks good though I did not check service record or anything.

Motor mounts are not a common thing? Is it more the dry desert areas? Low miles for 10,900. Camry V6 XLE prolly costs that.
Old 04-21-15, 08:10 AM
shap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Get an inspection for 150 bucks from a Lexus dealer and body shop look at it yourself on a rack. Make a final walk around the car with them as you try to point out imperfections. If any overspray is the slightly noticed explore more. Our opinion is just that with no basis. Looks good though I did not check service record or anything.

Motor mounts are not a common thing? Is it more the dry desert areas? Low miles for 10,900.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Yes it's here in Arizona and has been since purchase. Very dry and hot. Seems like it's priced good. I'll have to ask Lexus about replacing the nav dash screen when there.

I'll let you guys know how things turn out!
Old 04-21-15, 08:11 AM
shap
Driver School Candidate

Is this normal to have the color contrast with the switches?
Old 04-21-15, 11:51 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Good idea to get the vehicle examined. Sounds like some potential expensive repairs may be required. Good luck. We had an 03 and loved it.
Old 04-22-15, 07:24 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Bought mine w 130k......timing belt....water pump ...and fresh fluids....plus some door actuators....steering wheel telescoping motor.....and tires .....now she is tight but I dropped a little over 2k to get her right. Check and use every whistle and bell....play the stereo loud....see if alarm sets via key fob, the lights should flash and u may here a beep....watch every door lock and unlock with your own eyes....dont assume just because u here noise when u hit the lock button that all of the doors just locked. ...check headlight aim.....steering wheel tilt and telescope......AC/heat seats....hood and trunk shocks......console box lid alignment......smart key......just to name a few.
Regarding the scratched bezel under the nav screen....you have to remove several console pieces to work your way up to the nav bezel so u can remove and replace. Most of the bezels that I saw came with the nav screen and was expensive...however another member on this site said he bought just the bezel for approx $200 because the scratches drove him crazy. Mine was scratched too......I sanded mine down and painted and it looks 100 times better.Looking at this LS430 - Questions!-cr2.jpg
Old 04-23-15, 05:47 PM
shap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Bought mine w 130k......timing belt....water pump ...and fresh fluids....plus some door actuators....steering wheel telescoping motor.....and tires .....now she is tight but I dropped a little over 2k to get her right. Check and use every whistle and bell....play the stereo loud....see if alarm sets via key fob, the lights should flash and u may here a beep....watch every door lock and unlock with your own eyes....dont assume just because u here noise when u hit the lock button that all of the doors just locked. ...check headlight aim.....steering wheel tilt and telescope......AC/heat seats....hood and trunk shocks......console box lid alignment......smart key......just to name a few.
Regarding the scratched bezel under the nav screen....you have to remove several console pieces to work your way up to the nav bezel so u can remove and replace. Most of the bezels that I saw came with the nav screen and was expensive...however another member on this site said he bought just the bezel for approx $200 because the scratches drove him crazy. Mine was scratched too......I sanded mine down and painted and it looks 100 times better.Attachment 360398
Appreciate the tips!
Old 04-24-15, 02:23 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

When you find the right one you'll know. Could be this one or another, but it will feel right and you'll love driving. Keep in mind, as with most used cars, there will be some maintenance needed. Not sure I'd want to pay for a new console as that could be pricey. But there are good used ones floating around.

Buying a used car can be a crap shoot, but do your homework and if it's right, go for it.