LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Used Transmission Purchase/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 09:56 AM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Transmission Purchase/Advice

Looking to the good people at Club Lexus for some advice/information. At nearly 218,000 miles my transmission went bye bye last week. In reading some former threads, some suggested purchasing a used transmission on ebay and then having it installed. If I indeed go that route, is there anything specifically I need to look for?

Also, since the car was getting up there in miles I had posted a thread about 2 months ago asking for advice as to whether or not it might be time to purchase an LS with lower miles.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...spectives.html

The advice was overwhelming for keeping the car, which is what we decided to do. I have no regrets about doing so (beyond the fact that it didn't work out), these are just things that happen when you take a risk like this. Something just as easily could have happened to something we purchased. That being said - I will be increasing my commute substantially the next year and will likely put 50,000 miles on my car in one year. I don't mean to bring up the issue again, but in light of the transmission issue - would there be any additional worries? Considering the cost to replace and the miles I will be traveling next year, is it just time to move on? The car is a 2002.

I really do value the experience and information I've gained from reading other threads and the answers I've received to other threads in the past. Any thoughts/perspectives are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-19-15, 10:05 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You can also use http://car-part.com/ to search nationwide auto salvage.

If nothing else is really wrong and you like the car keep it. I would rather be in an older LS then many other newer cars. Especially, since a new transmission is an easy fix for the most part. A lot less then buying another vehicle.

Did you service your transmission. Change the fluid regularly? Just wondering.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-19-15 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-19-15, 10:21 AM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Lavrishevo - thanks for the thoughts. I bought the car at 162,000 miles. I did have the fluid drained and refilled at that point. However, it seems there is a varying of opinion as to whether or not you should even touch the transmission fluid at that point. I chose to do so - not sure if that played a role or not.
Old 04-19-15, 10:23 AM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Lavrishevo - I just saw that you have a UL. My current car is a CL, but if I replaced it I would probably get an Ultra Luxury. Feels like it would make those next 50,000 miles a little easier. Everyone seems to love their UL. Did you find it a huge jump from your 1999 LS400?
Old 04-19-15, 11:05 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Have ya had a reputable trany repair shop give ya an estimate to repair it? How much is the estimate? Thanks
Old 04-19-15, 11:07 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

No, not really a huge jump. Both were and are fantastic cars. Yes, UL owners don't tend to complain about the additional fearures. Air shocks are expensive to replace new but there are other options. Transmission fluid definitely should be serviced pretty regularly.
Old 04-19-15, 11:20 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Having done this on other cars a few times, it is usually a good idea to have YOUR transmissions rebuilt. That way you know it fits your car.

A good transmission shop can:

1. remove and thoroughly clean the transmission parts.
2. replace the damaged or worn parts.
3. install a rebuild kit that usually includes new wear parts. Upgraded parts are usually included.
4. install a new torque converter or rebuild yours.
Old 04-19-15, 11:21 AM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

warminwisc - repair shop said around $3,000 to rebuild. However, used transmissions seem to be priced around $500 with up to $150 shipping if you have to look far. Unfortunately, my area in PA doesn't have a lot of LS430s since they are rear wheel drive and people don't like them as much in snowy areas. That means I'll probably have to have one shipped - don't know that for sure yet, but likely. I don't have an exact labor cost yet on what it costs to replace with a used one - everyone closed for the weekend.
Old 04-19-15, 11:22 AM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

lorenr - thank you for the heads up! I had not heard that. That complicates things a bit.
Old 04-19-15, 06:04 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd go with a carefully selected, used transmission but if you want to spend top dollar and don't want to gamble, I would DEFINITELY buy a brand new transmission from Lexus before I'd let a corner transmission shop try and rebuild one.

I think an entirely new transmission from Lexus is under $4,000. It's close enough to the price you were quoted for a rebuilt that I would spend the extra money if it's between those two options.

Out of curiosity, how long after the fluid change did your transmission go out? Probably a long shot, but it could be something as simple as the incorrect amount of fluid.
Old 04-19-15, 06:04 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bwilsongs
At nearly 218,000 miles my transmission went bye bye last week
I know this isn't helpful to your situation nor an answer to your questions, but what were your symptoms of failure? What were any signs/symptoms leading UP to the failure? In other words, was it slipping, jumping in and out of gears, not shifting at all, pissing fluid, smoking as you were driving down the road, driveshaft fell out while cruising at 75mph next to Lav and it slashed his tire, etc?
Old 04-19-15, 06:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

That poor tire. Served me well. Not a nail nor nothing for 39,000 miles. She was a goodin'

You know, Toyota type IV fluid is not synthetic based like WS fluid so all the more reason to service it regularly. 218k is pretty good considering to was only serviced once and 1 drain and refill = 3 of the 9 quarts.
Old 04-19-15, 07:01 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

BradTank - it was about 50,000 miles after changing the fluid. Difference of opinion in whether you should even change the fluid when it's that old, but who knows if it might have gone quicker if I hadn't. Thanks for your thoughts on used vs. new transmission.

LS430inDE - really had no symptoms. I drive through the mountains everyday, so transmission does get a work out. I had the cruise control on going up the mountain, car sputtered a couple times and then just started revving high with no throttle response. Got to the side of the road, put it in park and then tried drive again. Car just started falling backwards with a terrible grinding sound. Pretty much knew at that point I was in trouble.
Old 04-20-15, 04:24 AM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

If I were you, I'd buy a new one from Lexus. Lexus of North Atlanta has them - and I looked out of curiosity a couple weeks ago. The transmission in my Dodge Ram left me at 289k - I spent $6k on a replacement. It was worth it. It's been 55k later, and not an issue, and I bet I get another 200k out of that transmission.

I've done the used engine a couple times, a used transmission a couple - but - you never know how they were treated prior. It always makes you wonder. For the price, the Lexus transmission was a steal (I think one for my car was $2400 or something). Then you have a known quantity - especially if you're going to be racking up the miles - and it sounds like you are.