LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Purchasing Advice- 2004 LS430 Ultra Luxury

Old 04-15-15, 05:43 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Several things to definitely check one way or another....

Might sound a little crazy, but have him drive it as you FOLLOW him. Drive on a not so smooth multi-lane road (that would be ANY highway in PA lol). While following the vehicle, observe all the shocks and see if there's excessive bounce. The UL's have had a not-so-reliable history with the air suspension.

Obviously you're going to test drive the car. When you do, ensure the tilt & telescoping wheel moves, extends, into the pre-set driving position after you start her up. Make sure the tilt & telescoping wheel tilts up & retracts all the way, OUT of the way, when shutting the vehicle off.

Sounds cra-cra but try filling the gas tank with the owner! There was some history of the gas tank filler tube having some issues. I believe the dealerships fixed the fuel filler neck/tube issue for owners who complained to the dealerships. (The 'unfixed' fuel filler necks had some sort of venting problem, and the gas pump handle/trigger would shut off pre-maturely, and you'd have to sit and squeeze the trigger again, then again, then again, then again, as if you're trying to 'top off' the tank, but in reality, there was some sort of venting issue.

As the others said, listen for rattles.

Open the coin tray to the left of the steering wheel. Open the cup holder under the center console/armrest. Open the CD changer access panel, you're checking for smooth operations and no popsickle sticks. LOL!

Ensure the nav system & touchscreen works.

Sounds crazy but try the automatic wipers by ensuring the wiper stalk is in AUTO position, then spray some water at the center/top portion of the windshield. The wipers should come on automatically. I know some owners who have had crazy issues and automatic wipers with a mind of their own, if they replaced the front windshield and the rain sensor wasn't re-installed properly.

Ensure the smartkey works. In other words, the door(s) should unlock automatically when you place your hand into the doorhandle and the keyfob is within a couple feet of the car.

In reality, probably all the things above will be ok, but off the top of my head, those were the most discussed 'issues' with the vehicle. Rattles/squeeks are about 98% non-existent. The car is so damn quiet, (even when the car is IDLING, unlike the 460's ) you might mistake a piece of dust settling on the leather surface as a noise. LOL!

Always always always offer the dude less than what he's asking for! Even if it's $500! Worst he can say is no.

Heck, after all that, the owner might give you $2k off just to end the insanity you're putting him through. LOL Good luck to you!

I keep editing....check the spare tire. It should be a FULL SIZE rim. Check the toolbox in the left wall of the trunk. As always, safety first! Check the first aid kit. haha

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 04-15-15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 07:18 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Since we've moved over into the realm of things to check before purchase I always recommend taking it to Lexus for an inspection at your cost before doing the deal, if the owner balks walk away from the deal. Also get at least two keys/key fobs with the car. If there is only one key/key fob you are going to have to eat the cost of getting a second key. And you absolutely need an extra key because losing your only key on the LS430 can be a very expensive situation to remedy.
Old 04-15-15, 08:32 PM
jaiello21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for all of the awesome advice and information provided. I will be sure to take that into consideration if and when I travel to look at the car in Michigan. I was able to get the original build sheet and more exterior pictures from the owner however we have not had a chance to talk over the phone (only email). The car obviously has the ultra luxury package however it also has the dynamic radar cruise as well (not sure if this was part of another UL package or not) still a unique feature nonetheless. I have attached the pictures of the exterior here... notice the apparent door crease/ding in one of the close up pictures. I was going to low ball the seller and offer $14,500, but do you think I should go lower in the case of "fixing" this blemish? Also, would this be an expensive fix if I would were to have it re-done?

Thanks again everyone

notice the blemish here
Old 04-16-15, 08:18 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

that is one hell of a car for $14,500...Rare color and loaded!
Old 04-16-15, 08:57 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

does it have radar cruise w/PCS? it would have a square plexiglass cover over the Lexus logo at the grille.
Old 04-16-15, 10:05 AM
jaiello21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aypues
does it have radar cruise w/PCS? it would have a square plexiglass cover over the Lexus logo at the grille.
I had a hard time seeing if the plexiglass cover was over the logo as well and was skeptical. However, the seller sent me the original build sheet for the car and it is listed under the Ultra Luxury Selection Includes.... Still does not look like it has the plexiglass symbol though?
Old 04-16-15, 10:56 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

it doesn't have radar, it has laser cruise control. They are different, and typical for 04s...radar much more common on the 05 and 06 models.

as to price, you need to come up with a price in *your* mind representing a really good deal, given the issues of the car, again from your perspective. Then come up with a price that's a so so deal, and finally a number that you wouldn't accept. Think it through logically. Then offer him below the really good deal number, let him know you're serious, and why. Who cares if its low ball...you have good reasoning behind your numbers, if he agrees then great, if not, you talk it through or walk. I guarantee you, you're not the first guy to walk on him. If he's a good seller, he'll have reasoning behind his desired numbers too.

for me, the blemishes on the car are non issues..its a ten year old car after all. I'd be much more curious as to maintenance history and current mechanical state, esp the shocks, and drivers seat leather condition.
Old 04-16-15, 03:06 PM
JSDND1980
Driver

It's a UL and doesn't have the upgraded 18 inch wheels???
Old 04-16-15, 05:08 PM
jaiello21
Driver School Candidate

Default Update #2

Just got off of the phone with the seller and after doing some back and forth with him (he had to discuss with his wife after I offered him what I did) he told me absolute bottom line is $15,200. He was recently offered $14,500 and turned it down and said that going into this he told himself he would not accept anything less than $15,500. I did not really want to spend over $14,500 (because realistically I will spend a lot more with taxes, travel expenses, etc.) but what do you guys think? Let him sweat it out and sit on it while taking the risk of it selling or offer him $15k cash and call it a day? Yes, I know this is ultimately my personal decision but it always nice to have input from some of the seasoned veterans around here

Thanks guys
Old 04-16-15, 05:48 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

interesting, and entertaining. Different people place very different values on various things. But if it were me, I would have offered 14 and probably come up to 14500, just like his other offer. I've been in the market for 4 months, patiently waiting, and have a pretty good sense of the market. He is not likely to get 15200 let alone 15500. He could get lucky but i doubt it. The fact that he's now had two credible offers well below his number and accepted neither says he's not too bright. He's ignoring the reality of the market.
i'd call him back, repeat your number, explain why it makes sense from your point of view, ask him to think about it, and have him call you in a couple days, in the meantime you'll keep looking, you got some other cars in xyz you're talking to, and you're ready to buy now, etc. let him stew on it.
BUT, if you're impatient, don't care that much about 1k, and want an above average solid car in a rather nice rare color, go for it.....no judgements here.
Old 04-16-15, 06:05 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree w/Jabberwock on the requirement to have the Lexus dealership give it a once over. However, I disagree w/Jabberwock on who should pay the bill! Make the OWNER pay for it! Also verbalize if the report comes back with more than $xxx of estimated repairs, the deal is OFF (whatever price you negotiated). Last but not least, you could always ask for settlement help! LOL
Old 04-16-15, 06:23 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I agree w/Jabberwock on the requirement to have the Lexus dealership give it a once over. However, I disagree w/Jabberwock on who should pay the bill! Make the OWNER pay for it! Also verbalize if the report comes back with more than $xxx of estimated repairs, the deal is OFF (whatever price you negotiated). Last but not least, you could always ask for settlement help! LOL
It certainly can't hurt to ask a seller to pay for a Lexus inspection but I'd bet $100 he says no.

In terms of doing the deal and a good price, best thing if you want the car is make your offer verbally and tell him the offer is good for 48 hours. If his phone is ringing with potential buyers he will hold out. If not he will take your offer. If you don;t hear back in 48 hours you can always call back and accept the 15k price. You only risk losing the car so it is really about how sure you are that it is the right car.
Old 04-16-15, 06:35 PM
jaiello21
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the extremely helpful replies, as always! I am serious about the car and definitely love the color combo/options however this car will be more of a toy for me and will be constantly pampered and taken care of. Thankfully, I do not need this car at the moment as I have another daily driver so I am going to stick to my guns. I will call back tomorrow telling him that the price for me is a firm 14,500 and also discuss a pre purchase inspection at Lexus of Ann Arbor which is the closest dealership to him. Like I just said to my wife, I am going to let him 'sweat it out' and come down to my price. He said he really needs to sell the car and so if he is as serious as he talks, he should come down. I will keep everyone updated as always
Old 04-17-15, 01:28 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love that color! But IMO I would get rid of those wheels asap...
Old 04-17-15, 09:00 AM
jaiello21
Driver School Candidate

Just got off the phone with the seller. He is not and will not come down off of the $15,200. I told him that due to travel expenses and him not being willing to pay the pre-purchase inspection it will cost me hundreds of dollars more than 15.2. I told him to think about my offer and give me a call back in a few days to which he said that he will not be changing his price and if it does not sell he will continue to drive it. He went as far as to say his price was low and incorporated all of my travel costs. Oh well, maybe one day he will come to his senses and realize that $14,500 really is an acceptable price. Thanks again to everyone who helped me in this process, sorry it has not really worked out. I will update you all if anything changes!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchasing Advice- 2004 LS430 Ultra Luxury