LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Suspension Conversion: A One-Man Job?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 02:43 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Air Suspension Conversion: A One-Man Job?

Hi,

I'm looking at some used LS430s. It seems that in Europe every car has air suspension. Suppose a corner fails, I think it may be cheaper to do a conversion.

Has anyone had experience doing this? Is it a one-man job? I don't have lifts (student), so it has to be on jacks / stands / at most wood, though I guess one corner at a time this is not a big issue. Maybe the hardest part is when you feed the rear struts back up someone has to give you a hand, am I right? Besides that, is there anything else that would require help?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-15, 06:37 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yes its an easy one man job. I installed my aftermarket air suspension in my driveway with just a jack and jack stands. there are detailed strut removals on the forum, just use the search function.
Old 04-11-15, 09:42 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

thx man. I'll probably get an old LS430 then. much cheaper than the SC and more available and cheaper than the GS.
Old 04-11-15, 10:30 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The LS are just a better cars are well. You can also swap a used air strut for pretty cheap. There is a company in Poland that rebuilds them for good prices. Multiple options vs spending what a dealer charges for a new unit. Look for any sounds of rattling at the struts and also use a flashlight and look under the black rubber covers that surround the air bag. Look for any signs of oil leakage down the strut.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-11-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 11:18 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Great, thanks for the advice!
Old 04-12-15, 09:50 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by lexixel
Hi,

I'm looking at some used LS430s. It seems that in Europe every car has air suspension. Suppose a corner fails, I think it may be cheaper to do a conversion.

Has anyone had experience doing this? Is it a one-man job? I don't have lifts (student), so it has to be on jacks / stands / at most wood, though I guess one corner at a time this is not a big issue. Maybe the hardest part is when you feed the rear struts back up someone has to give you a hand, am I right? Besides that, is there anything else that would require help?

Thanks in advance.
If you're converting to steel coils and struts, one part you'll have to do is assemble it with a spring compressor before you install the strut inside and reassemble.

It can definitely be done with one man, but you need the right tools. You can also take it to a shop and they can assemble it for you, most will have a stationary press that's a lot safer.

It's definitely something you want to be VERY careful with, they call these things "widow makers"

Old 04-16-15, 12:05 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BradTank
If you're converting to steel coils and struts, one part you'll have to do is assemble it with a spring compressor before you install the strut inside and reassemble.

It can definitely be done with one man, but you need the right tools. You can also take it to a shop and they can assemble it for you, most will have a stationary press that's a lot safer.

It's definitely something you want to be VERY careful with, they call these things "widow makers"

Hi, thanks. But the ones I've found are all preassembled coilovers. Perhaps the OE ones are not, though.
Old 05-29-15, 11:59 AM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yes its an easy one man job. I installed my aftermarket air suspension in my driveway with just a jack and jack stands. there are detailed strut removals on the forum, just use the search function.
good to know. how long did it take you? im going from factory air to aftermarket air this summer. i told my boyfriend i want to attempt the install myself and he said i shouldn't! but i just cant bring myself to spend what - $600+? on an install that i think i could do