LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

battery/alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 04:46 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default battery/alternator woes

Do alternators go bad on these cars if they have to work overtime to keep a battery charged?

My wife was driving our 430 last night, and all of the sudden, the battery light appeared and the car just stopped. I was at a venue and busy so my father went out and took a look. He said the battery is shot and the alternator is not charging it.

He hooked up a dry cell battery he has and the car started no worries, but, as soon as the battery was disconnected the car died again.

I am going to have a look at the car now as its stuck at our friends house 30mins drive away, but im looking for opinions on whether the alternators go bad on these cars, or whether its because the battery is so far gone it will not hold any charge at all.

This is irking me.
Old 04-02-15, 04:53 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, an alternator went on me once.

I don't think the even had direct causation on this fault, but this is what happened.

I was doing about 140 mph on a deserted road for about a straight 10 minutes, right before then end of the road, as you said, the battery light appeared, along with all the other lights including the engine light.

I stopped for a minute or so, then started the car again, it started and drive me home, which was about 10 more miles, then it would just not start.

Figured it was the alternator since it ate a whole new battery. So I put in a used alternator and got a new battery, and the car worked fine from that time till I sold her.

So yes, maybe not a common problem. But does certainly happen.
Old 04-02-15, 04:59 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, if your battery is shot the alternator keeps working "overtime" to try and charge it and can burn itself out.

When you buy a new battery, a good practice is to trickle charge it before installing as often times it can be low and it really works the alternator. Very few people actually do this though.

If you feel your battery is on the way out, get a new one. I've known people that will wait until it leaves you stranded and need a jump start. It's not good for your alternator to try and keep a toasted battery going.
Old 04-02-15, 06:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

The car is smart enough to let you know the battery is bad vs the alternator. Alternators are not common and can often last past 200k miles. I believe your alternator failing killed your battery.

With the ML sound system and the car on you can hold the option key down and click the parking lights on and off 3 times to display a test menu. It's mainly for the screen and buttons but it also shows if your are getting 12+ volts. Turn off vehicle to exit. 3 clicks - on off, on off, on off. Good way to easily monitor your alternator.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-02-15 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 12:59 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 284 Likes on 239 Posts

You can easily get a multimeter for 7 bucks on line and see what your alternator is putting out as well as the condition of the battery. Yes, it is relatively uncommon for our alternators to fail as they are quite robust, but things do happen. I'm not sure I would go with a cheap aftermarket alternator but try and get the Denso although it is more expensive. Good luck.
Old 04-03-15, 03:25 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bfg23
Do alternators go bad on these cars if they have to work overtime to keep a battery charged?

My wife was driving our 430 last night, and all of the sudden, the battery light appeared and the car just stopped. I was at a venue and busy so my father went out and took a look. He said the battery is shot and the alternator is not charging it.

He hooked up a dry cell battery he has and the car started no worries, but, as soon as the battery was disconnected the car died again.

I am going to have a look at the car now as its stuck at our friends house 30mins drive away, but im looking for opinions on whether the alternators go bad on these cars, or whether its because the battery is so far gone it will not hold any charge at all.

This is irking me.
You have a faulty alternator. Once the engine is started, the battery is not the major source of electrical current for spark, electrical components & accessories, etc. If the alternator isn't working properly, the spark and other components suck the remaining life out of the battery, until it too, dies. Here is a link if you need to DIY replace the alternator. I strongly suggest that you replace with a Denso OEM alternator. Saving a few bucks on an after-market alternator isn't worth the risks, hassle and peace-of-mind.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...001-ls430.html
Old 04-03-15, 03:33 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
With the ML sound system and the car on you can hold the option key down and click the parking lights on and off 3 times to display a test menu. It's mainly for the screen and buttons but it also shows if your are getting 12+ volts. Turn off vehicle to exit. 3 clicks - on off, on off, on off. Good way to easily monitor your alternator.
This on-board diagnostic works only on '04 - '06 model years.
Old 04-03-15, 04:37 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a multimeter on it while running and the alternator is completely shot. 11.8v at the battery.

Thanks for the replies guys, Ill be chasing a Denso unit up after this easter long weekend.
Old 04-04-15, 03:36 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
This on-board diagnostic works only on '04 - '06 model years.
Nice. Thanks for clarifying. I did not know that.
Old 04-04-15, 04:51 PM
jackies
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
hold the option key down and click the parking lights on and off 3 times
That sounds interesting - what are parking lights and how do you click them?
Pardon my dumb question.
Old 04-04-15, 05:55 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jackies
That sounds interesting - what are parking lights and how do you click them?
Pardon my dumb question.
It's the first click on the headlight switch, left side arm off steering column.