Vaistech SL3b question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 02:39 PM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BradTank
Anybody try this one?

I just want an analog connection, this seems like a good cheap solution.

@BradTank, (see link below) this is probably as inexpensive as it comes. I did this to my 2002 LS. If you don't want the holder to stick out, just cut the cassette cord and run your aux in cord to where you want it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ml#post8834328
Old 04-08-15, 03:45 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As an update to my original issues with the SL3b - I'd like to say that all is well and as it should be working now. The issue seems to be that the unit expects there to always be some default playlist in your iTunes folder on the phone (as explained to me - like having a CD in your CD player) because it is trying to emulate an MD Changer. I had tested with a playlist prior but hadn't had success. This time around, created a random small playlist and the unit has been working perfectly for the last few days. By default - when turned on - it will connect to iTunes and even begin playing a song if that was the last app used before exiting the car previously. But if not, it just connects and waits for me to select an internet radio app re: Pandora and will play music at such time. Transitions in and out of phone calls as needed and will display correct text on the screen.

I'm happy with the unit as it is now. This is what I envisioned wanting so it satisfies my want and need.
Old 04-12-15, 11:05 PM
vicmost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I have this unit:

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/andro...interface.html

I don't like to stream via Bluetooth as there is notable sound quality difference. Just a personal preference. So, I just got the $100 Android kit and use the 1/8" cable with my iPhone. Makes it easier to share the connection too. I also use a memory stick and can access music from the USB port. It will power a full hard drive or charge your phone. It's useful to get yourself a USB extension as the box needs to live near the head unit. Then you can run the cables below the 12v connector in the center glove box for a really clean look and functionality.
According to Grom's compatability chart 01-03 Lexus LS 430's US cars are not compatible.

http://www.gromaudio.com/grom_application_guide.pdf
Old 04-12-15, 11:34 PM
vicmost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tom57
I prefer the VaisTech MML high-end audio integration device, and have in each of my LS's. Never had any problem. The sound is superior distortion-free, wide-range frequency response. USB connection for iphone / ipod or flash drive; plays internet radio and music through music apps on phone. Display and control on dash multi-screen, or control with steering wheel radio controls, or on the phone device itself. VaisTech does firmware updates. I custom installed a USB port inside the center armrest console next to the 12-volt outlet for concealed yet easy access for both driver and passenger. Charges device while plugged in too; wireless and 1/8" pin cable interfaces don't. And you can see playlist and song title info on multi-screen with MML.
Here is a pic of the USB port in the center armrest console:
Nice install Tom
I'm leaning hard towards the VaisTech MML because of all the benefits you mentioned above.
Since you've had one for awhile could you tell me if it's compatible with older ipods as well as the IPhone 6? I will be installing it in a 2001 LS 430 UL with ML & Nav.
Thanks
Old 04-13-15, 07:26 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vicmost
Nice install Tom
I'm leaning hard towards the VaisTech MML because of all the benefits you mentioned above.
Since you've had one for awhile could you tell me if it's compatible with older ipods as well as the IPhone 6? I will be installing it in a 2001 LS 430 UL with ML & Nav.
Thanks
It works for me with iPhone 4, 4S, and 5. But the version of the phone is not what's relevant; the phone's operating system is. For instance, you could have an iPhone 4 with the latest updated iOS 8.3 installed and it will work just fine. Contact Eugene Kaspin at VaisTech phone: 720-733-2348
e-mail: info@vaistech.com with tech questions. Oh, and VaisTech is a Club Lexus product sponsor as well.
Old 04-13-15, 09:56 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW, I got a Grom unit for a different Lexus and I was not impressed.

It does the basic of what it's supposed to do, which is simply plug in a headphone jack and be able to play from an iPhone, but I could have accomplished the same thing with a generic $30 adapter.

I also lost the CD changer capability, the unit comes with a harness adapter that is supposed to allow the use of both, but I never could get both of them to work. I did some research and it turns out others were having the same issue. As soon as I unplugged the CD changer harness, it worked.

Also, the Bluetooth option is crap, you can hear a low level "hum" in the background. Also had a heck of a time just getting it to synch.

I should have either gone high end with a VaisTech or maybe low tech with a generic adapter.
Old 04-13-15, 10:46 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coulter
FWIW, I got a Grom unit for a different Lexus and I was not impressed.

It does the basic of what it's supposed to do, which is simply plug in a headphone jack and be able to play from an iPhone, but I could have accomplished the same thing with a generic $30 adapter.

I also lost the CD changer capability, the unit comes with a harness adapter that is supposed to allow the use of both, but I never could get both of them to work. I did some research and it turns out others were having the same issue. As soon as I unplugged the CD changer harness, it worked.

Also, the Bluetooth option is crap, you can hear a low level "hum" in the background. Also had a heck of a time just getting it to synch.

I should have either gone high end with a VaisTech or maybe low tech with a generic adapter.
Others on CL have had similar experiences. Quality of sound is obviously a personal choice and taste, but functionality isn't worth compromising, especially in a LS - IMO.
Old 04-13-15, 03:13 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

It works for me with iPhone 4, 4S, and 5. But the version of the phone is not what's relevant; the phone's operating system is. For instance, you could have an iPhone 4 with the latest updated iOS 8.3 installed and it will work just fine. Contact Eugene Kaspin at VaisTech phone: 720-733-2348
e-mail: info@vaistech.com with tech questions. Oh, and VaisTech is a Club Lexus product sponsor as well.
Within the first week of ownership I picked up a MML. They may be a CL sponsor but Eugune wasn't around & the other guy wasn't offering anything off $250 price. Which I find is the biggest issue, as well as the hours it takes to rip apart your dash for the first time... Also having a ML with no navigation screen limits the text available & displayed. It's key to have organized playlists... So far no blown cones, but when it does happen the MML is useless to me & OEM stereo has to go. It really is a blessing & a curse to have something nice like the Vaistech MML paired with our highly reputable Mark Levinson stereo.

At the end of the day, sound quality & convenience are good & that's what your paying for. Part of me said it was worth $250 to not have a wire hanging out of the cassette deck.

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 04-13-15 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added more sarcasm
Old 04-13-15, 07:00 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

MML doesn't make the ML sound system any better (or worse) than it is ... make no mistake there. The technology of the LS430 was designed years before the new millenium, when CDs were the newest "digital" sound (and cassette tapes for the old men with their cassette storage boxes were buying these cars).

Eugene has always been responsive to my emails.

* I never paid more than $200 for MML - bought during holiday 20% discount.
Old 04-13-15, 09:40 PM
vicmost
Driver School Candidate

I pulled the trigger and ordered the MML today after contacting Vaistech. Eugene was prompt to respond to my email and even followed up afterwards to let me kmow my order had shipped
I can't wait to install it! I'm very happy with the ML sound system after I rebuilt 2 door speakers and the sub. The will complete my "system"
Old 04-14-15, 07:51 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vicmost
I pulled the trigger and ordered the MML today after contacting Vaistech. Eugene was prompt to respond to my email and even followed up afterwards to let me kmow my order had shipped
I can't wait to install it! I'm very happy with the ML sound system after I rebuilt 2 door speakers and the sub. The will complete my "system"
I re-foamed the sub-woofer and both front door speakers in my 2001 as well when I installed the MML. Good luck with it.
Old 04-14-15, 09:03 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Does the MML also have a simple analog "headphone" jack to run through it, or is the auxilary only through the USB cable?

I like a headphone jack as an option just because it seems no matter what operating systems or new hardware, that port seems to be pretty future proof.
Old 04-14-15, 10:01 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
Does the MML also have a simple analog "headphone" jack to run through it, or is the auxilary only through the USB cable?

I like a headphone jack as an option just because it seems no matter what operating systems or new hardware, that port seems to be pretty future proof.
Only USB, Brad. USB should be around for quite some time, given its prominence in current model desktops, laptops, connection from iPad to desktop / laptop (sync), etc. I understand your concern though, you don't want 8-track tape player obsolescence.
Old 04-14-15, 10:17 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Only USB, Brad. USB should be around for quite some time, given its prominence in current model desktops, laptops, connection from iPad to desktop / laptop (sync), etc. I understand your concern though, you don't want 8-track tape player obsolescence.
LOL, I actually had a car with an 8 track!

Well my fear is not the USB, that's definitely going to be around for a while, my fear is how the adapter interacts with the software of the device that's connected to the VaisTech.

I know some people were having issues with their unit when it went from an iPhone 5 to 6 with the new cable.

Or let's say a great new internet radio app for the iPhone/Android comes out and VaisTech no longer supports updates and doesn't know how to "play" it or interact with the screen on the car.

It just seems with a headphone jack and letting the smartphone do all the work and control you don't run into situations like that where you have to rely on updates.
Old 04-14-15, 03:54 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

update to my earlier post. The issues I had been experiencing seem to have gone away with the update to iOS 8.2, and when I went to 8.3 it was fine too. I'm pretty happy with it now. Sound quality is great. Much better than with the cassette adapter I had been using.

Quick Reply: Vaistech SL3b question