LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How much should a decent used LS 430 cost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 04:00 PM
Salted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much should a decent used LS 430 cost?

I'm looking at a LS 430 and am wondering if I should try to negotiate on price.

It's private party. Original owner. 2004 with the Modern Luxury package and about 70k miles.

The owner is asking $15k.

Edmunds & NADA says the car is worth $13k.

The service history looks good, edit: it had the bumper repainted for some reason. Owner says it wasn't in an accident it was cosmetic only.

I was hoping to find a Custom Luxury package, but it's not a deal breaker.

Edit #2: I added pics of the paint chips, scratches, scuffs & dent that I could find in the pics here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8982171

And I posted whole pics of the car here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8982172

Last edited by Salted; 04-02-15 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-30-15, 04:36 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Just the fact that it has any collision damage history... I would walk. There are enough of these cars around that you can find the right one. If you still want the car, remember the collision history goes with the car and any future value. Patience..... and you will find the right car for you.
Old 03-30-15, 04:58 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

what do you get with a Custom Luxury that Modern Luxury lacks? headlight washers? extra leather trim and headliner? I would keep looking. lots of great deals on these cars daily
Old 03-30-15, 05:30 PM
Salted
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Just the fact that it has any collision damage history... I would walk. There are enough of these cars around that you can find the right one. If you still want the car, remember the collision history goes with the car and any future value. Patience..... and you will find the right car for you.
Well it doesn't show up in the carfax and the title is clean. The only reason I know about it is the owner told me. Said it was in a parking lot and it was just the bumper, low speed thing.

Still, it was in a auto body shop though. I'm not sure if that will eventually show up in a carfax and ruin the resale value.

The car looks good from what I can see, aside from paint chips on the bumper from highway driving. It was garaged so it doesnt have that paint peeling on the plastic trim piece around the nav which I've seen in many LS 430s I've looked at.

Last edited by Salted; 03-30-15 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 05:34 PM
Salted
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
what do you get with a Custom Luxury that Modern Luxury lacks? headlight washers? extra leather trim and headliner? I would keep looking. lots of great deals on these cars daily
Yup that's basically what you get. I can understand why most people didn't opt for it since it's just a couple little cosmetic items, but I thought it would be a hoot. The ML is nearly identical except for the things you mentioned.
Old 03-30-15, 06:01 PM
Anthony81
Driver

I like CL. The door close assist is actually way more useful than I expected, and when most high-end new cars have the extra leather and alcantara headliner the CL feels like a much newer car.
Old 03-30-15, 06:02 PM
Anthony81
Driver

Plus, in MN, headlamp washers come in handy.
Old 03-30-15, 06:42 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Why EVER by any car that was hit ?.. Minor or otherwise...
Old 03-30-15, 06:55 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a rule of thumb I go by, whenever the car was involved in an accident, minor or major. I would walk away or get it dirt cheap from them. And since this is a luxury car, I wouldn't even think of getting it even if it was offered to me for $10k.

A lot of the cars geometry changes when it is involved in an accident. Lots of other things too, like Airbags for example. The car will never be the same. And you can't tell exactly how bad the accident was by not being able to look at it.

As other members have discussed, lots of other cars are available out there within the price range, but clean with no accidents.
Old 03-30-15, 07:02 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Why EVER by any car that was hit ?.. Minor or otherwise...
If you start looking at 10+ year old used cars with some miles on them, I'd say over half of them have had some sort of accident damage. Most of them its usually a parking lot scrape or something very minor that required a repainted bumper or the owner didn't bother to fix it since it was minor.

It doesn't take anything at all to bugger up a plastic bumper cover. To the op, keep in mind the damage when you negotiate on price, and I'd walk if it is less than a perfect repair. Maybe ask the owner if he has pictures of the damage and then you can make a more honest assessment.
Old 03-30-15, 07:11 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

12,500 is what I thought when I read the post, belts tires recent upgrades play into this $. Yur buying from a private party original owner which is the best. At 15 k or whatever he is not gonna lie to you and look him in the eye look at his home and it will tell ya something.

So you know the history which is good so go talk to the body shop and service dept, do a little foot work it will pay off later. As usual get all the service history, get the copy of the body shop repairs call the body shop and make yur decision. Small accidents do not ruin a car, unless yur a purist then good luck looking for a non accident car in a world of unknowns about car history's, car fax or not. I once saw a totalled LS with a clean carfax, go figure.

You looking a 10 year old car most are gonna have some type of blight, whether ya know it or not initially. Get a service and auto body inspection and I think ya got a keeper at 12,5000-13k private owners are yur best bet if they check out.
Old 03-30-15, 07:14 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Even if it is not a perfect repair if ya can live with it it is a 10 year old car. Best of luck. Camry will run ya 8500
Old 03-30-15, 09:58 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warminwisc
12,500 is what I thought when I read the post, belts tires recent upgrades play into this $. Yur buying from a private party original owner which is the best. At 15 k or whatever he is not gonna lie to you and look him in the eye look at his home and it will tell ya something.

So you know the history which is good so go talk to the body shop and service dept, do a little foot work it will pay off later. As usual get all the service history, get the copy of the body shop repairs call the body shop and make yur decision. Small accidents do not ruin a car, unless yur a purist then good luck looking for a non accident car in a world of unknowns about car history's, car fax or not. I once saw a totalled LS with a clean carfax, go figure.

You looking a 10 year old car most are gonna have some type of blight, whether ya know it or not initially. Get a service and auto body inspection and I think ya got a keeper at 12,5000-13k private owners are yur best bet if they check out.
This is good advice, imho. A little research and homework on your end could make this worthwhile.
Old 03-31-15, 04:01 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

If you really want a ccustom luxury and are willing to spend $15,000 you can get a nice custom luxury for that amount. I would keep looking or ask for a significant discount
Old 03-31-15, 04:43 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thing about private party sales, unless they meet ya in a parking lot, you know where they live. If they misrepresent the car or lie to you, again you know where they live to go back to complain, and they know this also. Not the case off a lot with a salesman who wants to hit his numbers.

Quick Reply: How much should a decent used LS 430 cost?