LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Front strut replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 07:19 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Boca there are a few things that have caused annoying squeaks in my car's front suspension. First one is sway bar mounting bushings, they have a fabric-type liner embedded in them that rubs against the sway bar. When the liner deteriorates then it can squeak. They may look fine to the naked eye though. Greasing them makes it worse; replace them, they're cheap. Second source like you were advised is the eccentric mount for the forward control arm bushing or camber bushing. If it's not torqued to 166lb ft then it can squeak. Most alignment shops never torque this bolt tight enough. Another possibility is the inner tie rod, although if it is bad it will likely create a knocking sound also. All of these sources present noises at low speeds over bumpy surfaces.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep all of this in mind
Old 03-19-15, 08:18 AM
MyLparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Just an FYI for you LS430 owners. We sell the factory front struts for $114.83 each and the supports for $98.09 each with our CL discount. This is assuming you don't have air or sports suspension. We also offer free shipping on orders over $150.00. All genuine, all Lexus. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-19-15, 10:20 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you in Boca Raton? If so have you checked out Eric's Wrench in Delray? Very good independent Lexus/Toyota shop.
Old 03-19-15, 11:55 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Are you in Boca Raton? If so have you checked out Eric's Wrench in Delray? Very good independent Lexus/Toyota shop.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Do they specialize in Lexus/Toyota? I'm waiting to hear my verdict from Lexus to see how to proceed.
Old 03-19-15, 02:06 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, I'll check it out. Do they specialize in Lexus/Toyota? I'm waiting to hear my verdict from Lexus to see how to proceed.
Yes they specialize in Lexus/Toyota. Owner Eric is really nice, I've been driving up there from Miami Beach for several years.
Old 03-19-15, 03:20 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Yes they specialize in Lexus/Toyota. Owner Eric is really nice, I've been driving up there from Miami Beach for several years.
Got off the phone with his wife Dara this afternoon. Eric is away till next week. I was hoping to have spoken with him and possibly gotten some feedback, but it will be fine. It's a good connection to have and thanks again for the info.
Old 03-20-15, 09:20 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

FYI for those of you interested... spoke with Davenport Auto today here in Dallas and they do not allow you to bring your own parts.
Old 03-20-15, 09:00 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
FYI for those of you interested... spoke with Davenport Auto today here in Dallas and they do not allow you to bring your own parts.
Good to know. I'm in Dallas I know of a few mechanics/shops that work on lexus which allows BYO-Parts if anyone is interested
Old 03-21-15, 08:39 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

LATEST UPDATE: The shop foreman called from Lexus this morning and told me the noise has been isolated to the front passenger side strut. They had a stethoscope on the strut and it is the culprit. I'm doing both sides because I don't want an issue at a later date. Yes Lexus is super expensive ($850 for both sides) but at least I know the job will be right and I have recourse if the noise is still there. They are not changing the mounts or doing an alignment as they said it should not be affected. Normally I would have gone to an independent shop but I would hate finding out after they did not actually eliminate the annoying noise.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-21-15 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-21-15, 12:47 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

$850 for 2! That's about the same price an independent shop charges for all 4 even using OEM parts.
Old 03-21-15, 02:21 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
$850 for 2! That's about the same price an independent shop charges for all 4 even using OEM parts.
My independent shop quoted $1150 for 2 with the mounts with an alignment. 3hrs labor. Actually a little more than Lexus but again I'm going with Lexus in case the noise still persists.
Old 03-21-15, 03:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I paid less then a grand for 4 new struts and lowering springs plus alignment. I provided all the parts. This is the important factor. Pay for labor only. I even do this when I have Lexus of South Atlanta do work for me. Mounts don't need to be replaced unless they go bad and you don't hear about it. If anything, the engine mounts go way before the strut mounts. Either way, I'm glad you are getting it fixed.
Old 03-21-15, 04:55 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I paid less then a grand for 4 new struts and lowering springs plus alignment. I provided all the parts. This is the important factor. Pay for labor only. I even do this when I have Lexus of South Atlanta do work for me. Mounts don't need to be replaced unless they go bad and you don't hear about it. If anything, the engine mounts go way before the strut mounts. Either way, I'm glad you are getting it fixed.
Thank you..."Getting it fixed". what does it matter how much is saved unless the problem is resolved??. Hopefully, I fixed my problem and if I did pay more than most, I'm still happy if I don't have to tolerate those horrendous creaking sounds and other miscellaneous noises that drove me to wanting to sell my car. End of Case.
Old 03-21-15, 06:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The reason I mention this is because most people replace the whole suspension. For the extra cost it is very much worth having 4 new shocks so the ride is balanced. You now have 2 new in the front and 14 year old shocks in the back.
Old 03-21-15, 07:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

some people have the "dont fix what isnt broken" mentality

Quick Reply: Front strut replacement cost