LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Where can I find matching paint for interior plastic trim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 05:10 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Where can I find matching paint for interior plastic trim?

2004 LS430 ....Cypress Pearl with I believe its the Ecru leather...perforated seats. I am currently refinishing the plastic trim bezel for my GPS screen that had scratches on it. I have it sanded and prepped for the most part but I need to find the matching paint color for my interior. Does anyone know where I can find this color?
Its like a grey/green color

Thanks
Old 03-15-15, 05:17 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I have never heard of anyone painting the bezel. Others have replaced the bezel. I believe it cost about $85. You might want to check on one of the online parts dealers like Lexus of Pembroke Pines or Irontoad.

Update - Sorry, I was wrong. I just checked and the bezel was quite expensive. Your other post indicates others have painted the bezel with good results. I was just trying to help and apologize for posting the incorrect information.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 03-15-15 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-15-15, 05:24 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I have done a bunch of forum reading and ebay shopping. As far as I can tell the GPS bezel comes with the vents and the screen all as one unit. They sell them on ebay for about $400.......initially I thought I could find just the bezel......but so far it is like Sasquatch......hard to find.............

The sanding of the bezel only took me about 10 minutes....and a quick prep and spray session would be much better then entire console removal......
Old 03-15-15, 06:42 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine was scratched from the previous owner. It drove me nuts so i just replaced the whole plastic bezel with a new one. Cost me almost $200 in my country but I didnt care I just wanted the old one gone. Far too hard for me to paint the old one and the new one is great!
I installed the new one myself. Its not super hard but its not quick and easy as it appears. You cant rush this and you must remove nav screen.
The bezel is part of the air vents and mini electrical plugs for the centre vents. Comes as one piece with the new air vents. You have to take out the radio and lower trim pieces and you must also remove the nav screen unit if you have one and once the nav screen is out with the bezel and vents, then there are actually screws on the rear side of the bezel trim that you must undo for the bezel to seperate and come out. NOTE: You would think its just clipped in around the nav but its not there are a few screws at the back.
To remove the nav screen you also need to remove the small temp control buttons on either side of the dash as there are hidden screws behind there that hold the actual lcd nav screen in place. You must have a magnetic screwdriver to make sure screws dont fall in behind dash and use plastic trim tools to avoid damage when prying pieces.
As I mentioned the new one comes with new centre vents so just replace and plug in vent plug on the rear, screw on the trim behind with nav screen then whole thing kinda pushes back in place.
Old 03-15-15, 06:46 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

hey LexES300.......this might be a stupid question but your screen name is ES300.......can I assume u also have a LS430 or had one that u did this job on? I had read your post during a previous search but I was unable to find just the bezel and the vent piece. I havent pulled up a Lexus part diagram yet.....I will try tonight. But Ebay doesnt carry them as a separate unit...the screen is included. I still think a quick spray with an air gun would do the job.......but a brand new one would be tight.

Cheers mate......
Old 03-16-15, 06:53 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
hey LexES300.......this might be a stupid question but your screen name is ES300.......can I assume u also have a LS430 or had one that u did this job on? I had read your post during a previous search but I was unable to find just the bezel and the vent piece. I havent pulled up a Lexus part diagram yet.....I will try tonight. But Ebay doesnt carry them as a separate unit...the screen is included. I still think a quick spray with an air gun would do the job.......but a brand new one would be tight.

Cheers mate......
Hi, yeah I definitely have a Ls430 2004 model. My user name was because when I joined club lexus I owned a Es300 back then and upgraded to the ls430 a few years ago but i cant change the user name now!
You'd be lucky to just get the bezel on ebay - as you said most are sold with the nav screen too. Used ones might be scratched too. If you can match the paint with yours then go for it but i didnt bother i just bought the bezel part from the dealer and fitted it myself.
Old 03-16-15, 07:06 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Or pull the bezel off and have a professional match it. I doubt it will truly match the rest of the bezel unless you paint the whole thing. Just come on over to my place. I got a roller and a bucket of old paint. We'll fix it up real nice...
Old 03-16-15, 03:43 PM
phanham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be sacrilegious to even mention; however, since this piece is prone to scratches, has anyone considered taping off at corners and spraying plastidip for the bottom section (under nav)? I was thinking the anthracite color might even blend well with at least the color scheme in my car (flint mica with black/gray interior). Can always be touched up, or even removed if it doesn't work out.
Old 03-17-15, 07:27 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies folks......I have been shopping all of the paint stores.....literally looking for a rattle can that matches....Im 0 for 3 so far. Its a tricky color.....grey...silver...brown...green...w gold spec.............That being said this small section of the bezel is on the ledge...it is not something an eye will be able to pic up an imperfection......I still havent sanded any further down because I think if I just paint the ledge the way I have it......it might be less noticeable. and I could wet sand a little blend between the paint colors....Like the plasti dip idea....even a contrasting color wouldnt look bad as long as you could work a good clean tape line.

I am still hunting for a pro behind the many car dealerships around here.....these guys drive around in vans doing paint touch ups for all the local dealers....But if I dont find a pro....I wont hesitate to give it a spray......can always sand it back off

Another note.......the paint on this plastic is extremely thin.....it didnt take any sanding at all for it to come right off.

I have already convinced myself that I will not be removing the entire console for this bezel.....aint happenin'.......

Will conquer and post pics soon
Old 03-21-15, 07:24 AM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Color match

2004 LS430 ....Cypress Pearl with I believe its the Ecru leather...perforated seats. I am currently refinishing the plastic trim bezel for my GPS screen that had scratches on it. I have it sanded and prepped for the most part but I need to find the matching paint color for my interior. Does anyone know where I can find this color?
Its like a grey/green color

Thanks
Not sure if your interior color is the same as my interior but this was the closest color I could find to match the HU. If it looks close enough for you I'll get the color info when I return home next week.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ml#post8834328
Old 03-21-15, 08:07 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey BB.....yes our bezel color is the same......I read your post for your electronics install...very crafty! But in this reply to me I see no color that you painted anywhere...am I missing something? Yes please let me know if u have the color matched.

Thanks
Old 03-23-15, 08:55 AM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Hey BB.....yes our bezel color is the same......I read your post for your electronics install...very crafty! But in this reply to me I see no color that you painted anywhere...am I missing something? Yes please let me know if u have the color matched.

Thanks
jpv7774...It wasn't a perfect match but it was close and since it would be hidden by my ipod most of the time it was an inexpensive option. If you look at the blue plastic in the earlier pics that is what I painted.(I used a spray can paint.) Member extr3me had an excellent idea about having a big box paint department color match it so you could get an exact match. It works as I've had it done for some home projects.
Old 03-23-15, 05:18 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Bruiser.......ya Xtr3me always has good ideas.....will do.......
Old 03-26-15, 07:19 AM
BigBruiser
Rookie

jpv7774..i got home late last night. Here is a pic of the spray can paint I used but I'd recommend the color match, especially if it is a large area. Looks like that's what you are going to do.

Oil Rubbed Bronze
Old 03-26-15, 07:48 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hilarious.....exact same stuff I tried. The can top looks perfect but the actual spray is a bit dark. I have purchased 5 cans so far....and I found one that is pretty darn close but unfortunately it is advertised as a hammered finish. Its rustoleum hammered #7218 dark bronze.....it has all of the right colors in it when sprayed ...........but dries a little light. Now I am still in search of the exact match....but I am thinking if I lay down a coat of dark bronze then do a very fast fly by with a darker color.....that might do the trick...I am experimenting on a large sheet of plastic I have in my garage.

Quick Reply: Where can I find matching paint for interior plastic trim?