LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 09:20 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A quick shout out to Jayclapp as I just touched up the shift lever and steering wheel as he instructed and it turned out perfectly. I am now more pleased than ever to get into my car and not have to look at the unsightly wear portions.
Thanks Man!
Old 04-04-15, 10:04 AM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wanted to do something like that also. But afraid of the color being off a little. Or just f@$king it up.
Old 04-04-15, 11:04 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

It blended really well and Home Depot (who knew?) matched the color perfectly. You really have to get very close to notice that its been painted.
I was nervous too but am very pleased with the way it turned out.
Old 04-05-15, 08:08 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey LS Gary.......what color is your interior.......I am thinking black would be easy......mine is a taupe and although the shift **** is pretty easy to touch up the steering wheel in my case is approx 5" of wear that I would have to match and blend. I tried the Home Depot match but as usual they got it wrong.....i can continue to go back and have them get the mix just right......but I came across another option on line that had all of the manufacturers and the interior colors already done for you....I havent purchased yet....just browsed the website....I believe it was called Leather Magic...but it was a relief to click on lexus...then LS430.....then see the exact color I have been trying to hunt down. I will prob purchase the kit....$49.95.....and give it a try.
Old 04-06-15, 08:22 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

I have the Ecru leather interior with the taupe trim on my '02 and that is the car I touched up. The '05 has an all black interior and does not show any visible signs of wear in the same spots as the '02.
The paint I got at HD cost me all of $2.48.
Old 04-06-15, 09:12 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you guys have the problem of the emergency brake handle fading to yellow and looking horrible? It's caused by exposure to UV rays because the plastic used is subject to that. If so, you can correct it by taking the face of the coin tray off and getting a paint match at Home Depot (or any paint store) and then hand painting the handle. I did that to my car and it now matches the rest of the dash and you can't tell the difference.
Old 04-06-15, 03:50 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

LSGARY .........I just went back to Home Depot again and got another mix and they still didnt get it right. I have very little to zero success with any paint store doing perfect matches. Can u show a pic of your steering wheel repaint and the cap of your paint with the color mix on it please? My car is the same color......I will enclose a pic of the lid from paint jar.....Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today-paint-1.jpg
Old 04-07-15, 08:53 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Here's the paint that's a perfect match from my gear shift ****. Note that the base paint is different than yours, as that may make a difference in the formula.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Paint Color Match.pdf (72.1 KB, 157 views)
Old 04-08-15, 07:47 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks JC......I notice u went with a flat....I chose a sating for a little shine one the steering wheel. I will take your sample data up to Home Depot and give it a shot....its only a couple of bucks....if it works great if not no big deal.

Answer to your other question.....my brake release pull is not discolored.....but my car has spent a lot of its life in the garage.

I spoke with reps at Leather Magic regarding the Lexus colors and although the color chart shows a bunch of the taupe colors the gal thought those colors were for seats and not steering wheels. They said if I could send them a sample section they would do an exact match for me and ship me the full kit......The kit is $49.95 plus ship.....but it does come with everything u need to do the job correctly.
Old 04-08-15, 10:15 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Thanks JC......I notice u went with a flat....I chose a sating for a little shine one the steering wheel. I will take your sample data up to Home Depot and give it a shot....its only a couple of bucks....if it works great if not no big deal.

Answer to your other question.....my brake release pull is not discolored.....but my car has spent a lot of its life in the garage.

I spoke with reps at Leather Magic regarding the Lexus colors and although the color chart shows a bunch of the taupe colors the gal thought those colors were for seats and not steering wheels. They said if I could send them a sample section they would do an exact match for me and ship me the full kit......The kit is $49.95 plus ship.....but it does come with everything u need to do the job correctly.
I would use flat paint for touch up of small areas. If you touch up with satin, the areas touched up will likely not match and stand out. If you're planning on painting the entire wheel you could use satin. I wouldn't recommend trying to paint the entire wheel leather. Just my opinion.
Old 04-08-15, 11:56 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey JC....tried your paint mix today....its close....about as close as my attempt got but not close enough for a seamless repair. The shift **** is down and out of site so it doesnt have to be perfect but the wheel has to be real real close. As u can see....I am in deep now with my wheel. I am a perfectionist so I will get it right or have new wrap stitched on..... or worse case buy a new wheel for $300....if the install was easy I would have already done that.
Dont laugh.....but here are some pics of today trying your paint color out.....on the wheel your color is the lower one. For those afraid that u might screw the job up.....ha.....look at mine! The paint brush trick is good for small areas of touch up.....not several inches.....in my case the front of the wheel will have to be filled....sanded....and sprayed....then clear coated.
But I still have to find the darn color first.Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today-wheel-1r.jpg

Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today-knob-r.jpg
Old 04-08-15, 03:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

When leather wears the grain structure will be different than the lower wear areas. Those "polished" areas to the steering wheel will be visible, any dirt, oils or grime that is embedded alter how dyes are absorbed. Just don't scuff that section in preparation, once the leather cell structure is scratched, dyes are absorbed differently. The least troublesome color is pure black.

If you've worked with wood stains, leather dyes behave very similar.
Old 04-08-15, 06:08 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Try this....

Video -

Website -
https://www.leathertouchupdye.com/quick-color-chart/
Old 04-08-15, 07:20 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ya I have seen that video EXTR3ME ..amazing transformation. but I need the color......somebody must know this color....once I have that I can copy the pro's prep and procedure

now my chipped rims and my headlight lenses are buggin me......gotta get her up to A+ grade so I can relax......and just cruise
Old 04-08-15, 08:40 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Ya I have seen that video EXTR3ME ..amazing transformation. but I need the color......somebody must know this color....once I have that I can copy the pro's prep and procedure

now my chipped rims and my headlight lenses are buggin me......gotta get her up to A+ grade so I can relax......and just cruise
I hear you... when matching unknown seat dye colors you can cut a small piece from bottom side of the seat and mail in. The only option I see that you have for matching correct color is to unscrew shifter **** and mail in with the assurance that it would be returned with order. Signature required...

Quick Reply: Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today