LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 08:33 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today

I almost have my car to an A+ but there are 2 things that I have yet to be able to repair.

1. Dash GPS screen plastic trim bezel has deep scratches in it...down to the primer

2. There is a little wear on the leather portion of my steering wheel.

Today I finally got the ***** to sand my GPS surrounding plastic bezel.......the scratches were so deep it showed a different color....in my case black. My car is Cypress Pearl so inside is beige and plastic trim is like a grey green color.......the scratches went through the grey green all the way down to black. This drives me crazy every time I drive the car.

I taped off the area w blue painters tape so I would get a straight sanding line. I used wet sandpaper with just enough grit to slowly remove the paint. The paint was very thin and came off easily down to bare plastic which is dark grey.....now this is hard to picture but it is only a 1" thin strip that I am working on. When I removed the tape the line was nice and clean. I think it looks better sanded down then it did with the scratches.......my next challenge will be to paint it with out causing a paint line......I may hire one of those pro touch up guys that does the dealership work.....I cant imagine being charged anymore then 100 bucks for a pro job w clear coat.......it would be worth it...they use small air gun and could blend it perfectly.....
Will enclose pics soon
Old 03-12-15, 11:48 PM
sakoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us updated! I have the same problem... Bugs the crap out of me every time I get in the car. I would love to see a fix for this.
Old 03-13-15, 06:54 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are that concerned you should remove the entire trim piece and have it sanded, then painted. I think there are instructions for removal around here somewhere.
Old 03-13-15, 10:02 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Ref wear leather on steering wheel. I had the same problem, in the area just below the upper wood. I took the transmission shift **** off as it is the same color as the steering wheel leather. Then took it to Home Depot and had them color match a sample bottle of their preium latex paint.

Then I just painted the worn areas with a small artist brush. I also painted a similar area on the top of the shift ****. Looked like new when done with no indication of any color or finish difference. Still holding after 6 months or so.

Don't be afraid of trying this. When applying, if you don't like it you can just wipe it off. I guarantee you will like the results. P.S. I did a similar thing with the faded emergency brake handle which had changed color to near white. Matched the paint color to the coin tray above the brake release.
Old 03-13-15, 07:04 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Jayclapp.......did u go to Va Tech by any chance? Not too many people w that name.
Regarding your steering wheel advice.....yes sir......that project is next. I have used a vinyl paint for the cushions on my boat and the stuff was bullet proof. It actually gets in the pours of the material and sticks like glue. I am surprised your latex has done so well on the leather....very good to know.......can u post a pic? Did u say u brushed it on or sprayed it on? I would think it would need to be sprayed on so no brush marks...........I cant stand looking at the wheel like that.

chunkyda...........to reply to u.........yes I see I can remove the entire piece and I have looked at the removal process. You have to remove everything all the way up the console to get to the screen......and the bezel and screen is all one main unit....the bezel is attached. I have already replaced 3 pieces of my console trim and wont be popping those panels again. I will just tape off this small section ..prime...paint....clear....it will look soooooo much better!!!! I wish I took a before pic
Old 03-14-15, 07:53 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Jayclapp.......did u go to Va Tech by any chance? Not too many people w that name.
Regarding your steering wheel advice.....yes sir......that project is next. I have used a vinyl paint for the cushions on my boat and the stuff was bullet proof. It actually gets in the pours of the material and sticks like glue. I am surprised your latex has done so well on the leather....very good to know.......can u post a pic? Did u say u brushed it on or sprayed it on? I would think it would need to be sprayed on so no brush marks...........I cant stand looking at the wheel like that.

chunkyda...........to reply to u.........yes I see I can remove the entire piece and I have looked at the removal process. You have to remove everything all the way up the console to get to the screen......and the bezel and screen is all one main unit....the bezel is attached. I have already replaced 3 pieces of my console trim and wont be popping those panels again. I will just tape off this small section ..prime...paint....clear....it will look soooooo much better!!!! I wish I took a before pic
I'm a proud OU grad from OK. No, I don't have a photo as I didn't take a before photo and there's nothing to be seen in an after photo as you can't detect what was painted. I have used matching paint on my drivers seat. The seat get a lot of more contact and it will last nearly a year before the creases need to be repainted. On the seat I found the best way was to brush it on and then wipe it off almost immediately, leaving the paint in the creases and a very light coat.
Old 03-14-15, 08:20 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

ha...ok.......I didnt think Clapp that I know would drive an LS430......he was a monster offensive lineman for Tech many moons a go.........

anyway.....I will follow your lead on the painting of the wheel and eventually the seat creases. But again...what was your painting technique for the steering wheel? Brush and wipe off fast like u did with the seats? Or just brush on?
Old 03-14-15, 12:02 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Im not sure where I want my paint lines to be...iSanded scratches from my dash console bezel today-dash-resize-2.jpg

Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today-dash-resize.jpgts possible that if I wet sand the paint lines after they are dry they wont be noticeable........I might sand down the rest of the front lip.....here are some pics
Old 03-15-15, 12:32 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im not sure where I want my paint lines to be...iAttachment 357278

Attachment 357279ts possible that if I wet sand the paint lines after they are dry they wont be noticeable........I might sand down the rest of the front lip.....here are some pics
Don't tell me that's the finished product..
Old 03-15-15, 05:05 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

No King911 that is not the finished product......in my last post I am talking about where I would want my paint lines to be since I havent sanded the entire bezel...there will be 2 lines where I have taped off the bezel for paint. So my options would be to wet sand those 2 paint lines or to go rogue and not tape off the area and just go for a blended fade look.
Note....I dont have an air gun.....I will be rattle canning. IDoes anyone know where I can look up the matching paint color for my interior plastic trim?

For those people who just have scratches up high on the ledge here is a thought.....Tape a nice clean straight line.....sand the area......and paint this small section ...the ledge only...flat black. It will look correct because their is a lot of flat black trim in this area...and u wont have to match paint.

For mine...the scratches extended over and down the ledge ....so I will prob sand the entire front down to the space between the 2 plastic bezels leaving me with just the 2 lines left and right.

Even in its current state its nice not to have to look at all of those scratches.....the pics are close up w 16 mega pixel camera w drop light shining on it.....when driving its not bad at all.......
Old 03-15-15, 08:03 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

ha...ok.......I didnt think Clapp that I know would drive an LS430......he was a monster offensive lineman for Tech many moons a go.........

anyway.....I will follow your lead on the painting of the wheel and eventually the seat creases. But again...what was your painting technique for the steering wheel? Brush and wipe off fast like u did with the seats? Or just brush on?
I just brushed it on. The wear was severe and it needed a coat to cover it. It blended perfectly with no notice of where the paint ended.
Old 03-21-15, 12:50 AM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

jpv7774,

Stop by your local auto paint supply store and ask them to match your bezel color using their high dollar color measuring tool. Match that color code to SEM's plastic paint or a similar high quality paint of choice....If you can't find similar paint code in spray can, have the auto paint supply charge a rattle can in bezel color for you. No clear coat on the LS bezels, if they did have clear you would be able to sand and buff the scratches out...
I've had our local ' Finish Masters ' identify color codes for me several times
Old 03-21-15, 06:30 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Extr3me.......thanks for the tip. ya so far finding a grey....silver.....brown ....green....with gold spec hasnt been easy. Will be switching my search over to paint supply guys. Im still much happier every time I get in the car now not having to see those scratches glaring at me. I barely notice that this section is not painted because the dark grey plastic blends in well.......

This bezel repair doesnt scare me......my steering wheel re spray has me puckering a bit.....still havent found that color either.
Old 03-21-15, 08:39 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, I see new steering wheels run you about $100-$300. If your steering wheel is really bad.
Old 03-21-15, 09:05 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

No my wheel is not really bad at all....im just really really picky. I have priced out new wheels.....Im not too excited about the task of wheel replacement.......have done it on boats no prob.....lots of stuff and air bags involved w cars. I dont know why Lexus doesnt sell the new leather wrap......I would pay a shop in a second to string on a new wrap.........thats gunna be a tricky little dye or paint job......but I will win in the end.....stay tuned

Quick Reply: Sanded scratches from my dash console bezel today