LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Should I buy a 2004 UL with 42K Original Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 04:40 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I buy a 2004 UL with 42K Original Miles

OK fellow CL members I'm on the fence and here is my dilemma, after owning my 2001 GS300 and then a IS I moved over to a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 with Nav and all the bell and whistles. Now my Genesis as OEM bumper to bumper warranty (extended) till 100K or 10 years, but I have been in and out of the dealer since purchasing it. It over heated just 3 months out and really has never been the same, it was back to the dealer for 4 times till they finally fixed the problem that it had after the over heating (the engine would not turn over 3,500 RPM), since then its been back to fix the master window switch, the sun roof track, navigation screen, and just last week the steering column is stuck and does not up back or forward. Mind you I have not had to pay anything on any of these repairs.

Now since owning 2 Lexus (2001 GS300 for 4 years and later an IS250 for about 3 years, both used) in the past and my wife owning also 2 ES's (both new lease cars) as well, when we where with Lexus we literally never had a signal issue not one time. This is where I see the value and reliability of the Lexus Brand, now I've always loved the 3rd gen LS430 and looking around I found a one owner 2004 UL with only 42K on the clock and it was a snow birds winter car here in Florida. It looks like it was just used half of the year when they where in South Florida and it looks like if it was parked for a good amount of the year.

So here is the question that I'm asking, should I put up with the Genesis's problems (and who knows what else can fail) or get into an 11 year old LS430 that has only 42K and from what I can tell one of Japans best.
Old 03-05-15, 04:46 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the answer is yes depending on how much it costs.
there's another one in FL showing with 36k miles for 18.5k, also UL but can't tell if it has pre-collision system.
Old 03-05-15, 05:40 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Regardless of which replacement you decide on, I think you should probably dump the Genesis if it's giving you that many problems. Was that the first year of that model? They probably should have replaced the engine with a new one after the overheating incident but I don't know the details.

But I definitely think a low mileage 2004 LS430 will be more reliable than a well used Hyundai Genesis. The only thing you need to be cautious about is the air suspension on the UL model. Both time and mileage are a factor, I would be prepared to replace them if you plan to own it for a while, so put that in the budget.

Last edited by BradTank; 03-05-15 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 06:30 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BradTank
Regardless of which replacement you decide on, I think you should probably dump the Genesis if it's giving you that many problems. Was that the first year of that model? They probably should have replaced the engine with a new one after the overheating incident but I don't know the details.

But I definitely think a low mileage 2004 LS430 will be more reliable than a well used Hyundai Genesis. The only thing you need to be cautious about is the air suspension on the UL model. Both time and mileage are a factor, I would be prepared to replace them if you plan to own it for a while, so put that in the budget.
BradTank

Its the second year of the Genesis, and I really pushed for a new Engine and honestly the over heating was just for about a few seconds. I was parking when one of the heater hoses busted, and it failed due to the previous owner didn't replace the oil cartridges housing o-ring, you see the 3.8 V6 oil filer is on the top of the engine as where an older american V8 distributer would be. So since the previous owner neglected to change the oil cartridges housing o-ring oil would leak onto the heater hoses to the point that one of them degraded and failed causing the over heat. After that since there was a mix of oil and water on the rear control harness that is was causing the engine not to rev past 3,500 RPM. After two months in the dealer and two field engineers they found the problem and ended up changing half of the engine harness. Since then its just been one thing after another, again since it was warranty its zero out of pocket its more of the hassle of have to miss work and having to to going back to the dealer.

I think that Hyundai has come a long way, and the Genesis Sedan is a good attempt into the premium segment but they are still not at the level of Toyota or any other Japanese car manufacture.
Old 03-05-15, 07:44 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh boy do I hear you regarding that Hyundai.

I used to have a Hyundai Elantra with a warranty and in the three years I owned that car, more things broke than have ever broke on my Honda and Lexus combined.

Actually, more things broke on that Elantra than every single one of my family's Toyotas (over 20 years of combined ownership).

The hassle of the Hyundai just wasn't worth. The repairs were free, but the rental car wasn't. So I either hung out in the lobby for 4 hours or had to pay to rent a car.

And I was too cheap to rent a car so I'd only get it fixed on my days off work which was a bummer.

Frankly, Hyundai's quality is just inferior to Toyota's. And Hyundais feel way less engineered than Toyotas. In my opinion, Toyotas feel aerospace grade. Even when they're barebones (like a Corolla) they're manufactured well, really smooth, and 100% built to last.

I tell everyone, the reason you buy a Lexus isn't for the first three years of driving, it's for the fifth year and beyond.

If you want a trouble free car, don't get the UL. At the margin the UL will have more issues than a base model. And the premium a low miles LS430 commands usually isn't worth it. If you get a car with ~100k miles, you can typically get one with all its fluids changed, a timing belt, and new suspension components/fresh brakes/good tires for less money than a low mile car.

Consider a 2005-2006, they're even higher quality than the 2004.

And the price of LS460s is falling pretty fast, and their price will PLUMMET when the next gen LS starts shipping. It might be worth hanging onto the Hyundai until the new LS comes out and makes the LS460s cheap.
Old 03-06-15, 08:10 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

price is key. I'm seeing an 04 in dallas, 61k, white, UL, for 17500, decent maintenance. There a 05 UL in Tampa, 60k, silver, asking 21000 but he's had it for sale for months, he's dreaming at that price.
have any of the shocks been done? if not, i'd count on at least one going in the next couple years. Sure its entirely possible they all are fine until past 100k but on the other hand I'm seeing a number of cars where one will go, usually around the 50 to 60k mark. My sampling is entirely unscientific but if i were in your shoes i'd factor that in.
also another cypress 04 in wisc, UL, 100k+, 17000, decent maint.
Old 03-06-15, 09:48 AM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

42k and I assume GARAGED when not in use? If so- and that car is for sale in the teens vs. 20's and if it's a color combo you like- snap that puppy up. I bought mine with over 115k and that was a bit more miles than I wanted- but I love the color and never thought with a used car I'd ever find something I liked so much that wasn't bought new. That said- now having owned it for months and more familiar with the car- I see how many little things aren't quite right. Maybe I have one that hasn't worn better than others- but I've never had a car that had door locks, weather stripping, sunroof lining or speakers go bad.

It's a luxury car with luxury parts- so maybe that means some of the more exotic tidbits can and will go wrong- but the right car with the right maintenance / mileage can be an amazing experience.
Old 03-06-15, 09:50 AM
lexusauto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 2003 LS 430 with 106,000 miles for under ten grand. If you had to give 13-14,000 thousand, that would be a great deal.
Old 03-06-15, 12:58 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airchomper
And the price of LS460s is falling pretty fast, and their price will PLUMMET when the next gen LS starts shipping. It might be worth hanging onto the Hyundai until the new LS comes out and makes the LS460s cheap.
curious...when is the next gen LS shipping in US?
Old 03-06-15, 01:04 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

looks like there is an 04 UL, cypress, 73k miles at Seattle Lexus for 17,800 just came up for sale. quite good maint, but no TB or any shocks done. Seems high to me....14 to 15k would be more like it.
i can tell you a blue onyx 04, 110k, UL, 2 shocks done, tb done, above average maint, just went for something like 13500 to 14000 in Virginia, private party sale.
Old 03-06-15, 02:28 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Thank you all for the great input, after consulting with the BOSS aka Le Count de Money she has a valid point its not that its 11 years old or that it just has 35K (my bad I mad a mistake when I originally posted) its just the fact that the dealer is asking $18.5 so when you factor in the plus, plus plus it was totaling out to just over 21K out the door and its just didn't make sense (man I hate it when she has a good counter point) So as others have pointed out it comes down to the final price and if it would be closer to around let's say 13.5-15 then yes I would be driving it now. So for the time being I will just hold on to the Genesis for a bit more, hopefully by then the LS460 are down in price and from a technology is more up to date than the LS430 (BT, Nav Maps are easer to update and over all) and honestly that is where my Genesis shines (A2DP, BT for the phone, Touch Screen with OEM DVD player, XM, USB ports) I just wonder if the LS460 is just as reliable as the LS430.

So who ever is in the market for a 35K LS430 UL and are in the central east coast Fla area pick it up, I'll pass for now, again thank you all for the solid advice.
Old 03-06-15, 05:48 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

There are other cars out there than the low mileage UL if you really wanted to change. If I had a list of repairs on a car like yours and not feeling could trust it on the road or a trip... I'd get rid of it and get just about anything. Look at the hassle of the car you've got. Granted $18K is a lot for an older car like that, but it is a Lexus. Even though you're not paying for the current repairs, there are other things to consider than just cash. Security, convenience, reliability, time to deal with the issues. When you add it up, it seems like anything might be better than what you're currently driving.
Make a list of pros an cons on the Genesis... then weigh it out.

Even the Base LS will server your needs very, very well with not near the trouble as the Genesis.
My 2.5 cents... I'm done.
Old 03-06-15, 07:34 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What else are ya considering for the same money after looking for a couple months?
Old 03-06-15, 07:59 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzism
Thank you all for the great input, after consulting with the BOSS aka Le Count de Money she has a valid point its not that its 11 years old or that it just has 35K (my bad I mad a mistake when I originally posted) its just the fact that the dealer is asking $18.5 so when you factor in the plus, plus plus it was totaling out to just over 21K out the door and its just didn't make sense (man I hate it when she has a good counter point) So as others have pointed out it comes down to the final price and if it would be closer to around let's say 13.5-15 then yes I would be driving it now. So for the time being I will just hold on to the Genesis for a bit more, hopefully by then the LS460 are down in price and from a technology is more up to date than the LS430 (BT, Nav Maps are easer to update and over all) and honestly that is where my Genesis shines (A2DP, BT for the phone, Touch Screen with OEM DVD player, XM, USB ports) I just wonder if the LS460 is just as reliable as the LS430.

So who ever is in the market for a 35K LS430 UL and are in the central east coast Fla area pick it up, I'll pass for now, again thank you all for the solid advice.
An LS430 is likely significantly lower cost to maintain than a LS460. The LS430 might be the best designed and most reliable factory made luxury car ever created. Suggest you find a well maintained 2006 LS430 and keep it forever : )
Old 03-07-15, 06:47 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
An LS430 is likely significantly lower cost to maintain than a LS460. The LS430 might be the best designed and most reliable factory made luxury car ever created. Suggest you find a well maintained 2006 LS430 and keep it forever : )
I agree with you 100%... I am starting to think about buying another 2006 LS with low miles but my wife will make me sell my 90 XJS first. LOL. It has 32K miles and is mint and I really want to keep it, but I really do not need the other half to moan and hassle me... LOL.

Last edited by XJSFan; 03-07-15 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 2004 UL with 42K Original Miles