LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is it a bad thing to " floor it!!! " LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 05:14 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I do floor my 118,000 mile LS430 on occasions with no issues. However, there are times that I get some pinging. I only use Chevron 93 octane. Plugs?
Old 03-05-15, 07:06 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
"upgraded ECM" nothing but snake oil. Save your money. There is no such thing as a free lunch, so even if it does alter the horsepower/torque curve, its doing so at the cost of gas mileage or some other factor.
After noticing an immediate increase in acceleration and throttle response, as well as the dashboard display telling me I am getting BETTER km/litre than I was before (even after several tanks of fuel) Im going to have to disagree with you.

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/products...12cbf7356ff669

Its direct plug and play. Im not so sure they will work on US versions of the car though. They are also very difficult to find.
Old 03-05-15, 07:40 PM
smokey6010
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The fact these engines are 5 bolt 5 main bearing engines means they were built to take some revs. you usually find that in high performance engines such as NASCAR.
Old 03-05-15, 08:06 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't own LS430 but my 23 yr old LS loves it when I open her up once in awhile. Currently at 255k miles but so smooth. I'm obsessed with its maintenance so maybe that helps
Old 03-06-15, 12:23 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
I don't own LS430 but my 23 yr old LS loves it when I open her up once in awhile. Currently at 255k miles but so smooth. I'm obsessed with its maintenance so maybe that helps
Man I miss my 1991 LS400. Bring back memories. I had around 277k miles before I got rid of her. She could of lasted another 100k easily but I fell in love with the LS430
Old 03-06-15, 07:30 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bfg23
After noticing an immediate increase in acceleration and throttle response, as well as the dashboard display telling me I am getting BETTER km/litre than I was before (even after several tanks of fuel) Im going to have to disagree with you.

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/products...12cbf7356ff669

Its direct plug and play. Im not so sure they will work on US versions of the car though. They are also very difficult to find.
You're really going to claim better gas mileage after an uncontrolled observation/test? Come back to us when you've conducted a controlled experiment with some rigor and details.

Automotive engineering is all about tradeoffs--cost, reliability, manufacturing complexity, consistency, durability, and on it goes. Toyota has been at it for years and there is no way some little tech company has the resources to duplicate that. Sure they can pump up the HP...big deal...thats not that hard, but doing so with no impact on any of the other variables?

If they truly had noteworthy technology don't you think one of the car companies would buy them for their tech?

I'm totally cool with these devices claiming better HP/torque but don't claim no impact on any of the dozens of other variables associated with a modern automotive experience.
Old 03-06-15, 02:05 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
You're really going to claim better gas mileage after an uncontrolled observation/test? Come back to us when you've conducted a controlled experiment with some rigor and details.
I'm totally cool with these devices claiming better HP/torque but don't claim no impact on any of the dozens of other variables associated with a modern automotive experience.
Err, I never claimed that theres no impact on dozens of other variables. I really could care less for a 'controlled test with rigor' either, I was simply providing feedback to those that asked.
I am obviously not as technically minded as you, but the complete feel of the pants difference in driving, and getting another 150km out of a tank of fuel is enough to make me happy.

You should try chatting with the engineers at TOM'S racing if their claims bother you that much. They might put up some better arguments than me.
Old 03-06-15, 06:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I do floor my 118,000 mile LS430 on occasions with no issues. However, there are times that I get some pinging. I only use Chevron 93 octane. Plugs?
Yes, replace them and clean the intake system. TB, MAF, and the big bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner. Carbon build up cause pinging as well. Really should run a cleaner every 10k miles.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-06-15 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 07:03 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Yes, replace them and clean the intake system. TB, MAF, and the big bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner. Carbon build up cause pinging as well. Really should run a cleaner every 10k miles.
Before most oil changes, I run a bottle of Redline Sl-1 fuel system cleaner... I have used it for many years in a lot of different applications and my vehicles always seem to run great. Used it on a friends old abused 96 Chevy Suburban and after a tank of fuel, it made a huge difference in idle smoothness and performance... My friend is a guy that really never takes care of his vehicles. LOL.
Old 03-07-15, 10:28 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Click and Clack from CAR TALK ( I know one of them is dead) say that you don't need to floor modern cars to blow out carbon. But if you enjoy it I say go for it. just like what tires you like or gas you buy. it's your car do what you want. I like to drive to Lubbock at normal speed looking for cops and if there aren't any I drive back very fast. It is only 15 miles to home....wheeeeeeeee
Old 03-07-15, 11:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Redline has good reviews but it contains chemicals that damage / deteriorate nylon. Nylon components are used in the fuel pumps on all LS's. How much hard it can do I don't know. This is why I use Duralube. Honestly, Techron is not rated that good of cleaner compared to others. I like the Dural Lbe Severe Fuel System cleaner. It helps to have the larger amount because of the size of our gas tanks. Put it in when almost empty.

Amazon.com: Dura Lube HL-40199-06-6PK Severe Fuel System Cleaner - 16 oz. Bottle, (Pack of 6): Automotive Amazon.com: Dura Lube HL-40199-06-6PK Severe Fuel System Cleaner - 16 oz. Bottle, (Pack of 6): Automotive

Background about tests:

As a worst case sample of material which might be found in gasoline I used ordinary tar. The brown deposits we find coating carburators, and which collects in fuel injectors and on intake valves, are the highest boiling components in gasoline. They are tar-like materials which distilled along with the lighter gasoline. The best solvent I've ever seen for these was methylene chloride, but it's expensive and I'm sure it's being phased out to protect our ozone layer. In any case, if you used it on a modern car the chlorine freed during combustion would corrode the oxygen sensor. Amoco advertises a cleaner gasoline and I'm sure it's because they've reduced these tar-like compounds. All gas these days contains at least a little detergent of some sort to help keep these deposits from building up too much.

Dimethylformamide is listed in the literature as being a good engine cleaner and is "especially good at dissolving carbonaceous deposits". I haven't used this myself because it is a bit too toxic. Instead I used N-methyl pyrrolidone, which is also good.

For my tests, I tried to use a wide variety of products, well known and unknown, expensive and cheap, and also some pure solvents in order to represent a good cross section of products on the market. Note, carbon itself (such as soot and other thermally decomposed material) is not soluble in ANY solvent but solvents like dimethylformamide and N-methyl pyrrolidone do a good job of breaking up clumps and dispersing the fine particles to release the heavy tarry materials trapped within them. However, some of these solvents are too harsh to use freely in the fuel system. (Someone in one of these forums told me that when the auto industry looks for good cleaners, they mostly look for solvents that will not attack the plastic and rubber parts in the system.)

Most cleaners (the safer & slightly less effective ones) usually have common solvents in them like toluene, alcohol, acetone or methyl ethyl ketone, and naphtha. If you want to use these to clean your system, you can get more for your money by buying the pure solvents at a hardware store and mixing them yourself. I have never had a problem adding toluene, acetone, alcohol, or naphtha to my gas tank in quantities up to one quart per 16 gallons.

Most of the straight solvents I used are at least as flammable as gasoline so be careful if you use them. The alcohol used was pure, 100% isopropyl alcohol. This has no water in it, it is not the same as "rubbing alcohol".

These test results are as fairly and accurately done as I could manage with the equipment I had available, and the other data presented is also accurate to my knowledge. Your car may have different plastics in it than mine does so if you choose to make your own cleaner, do it at your own risk.

TEST RESULTS

RELATIVE EFFICIENCIES AT WHICH VARIOUS CLEANERS WILL DISSOLVE HIGH BOILING RESIDUES FROM GASOLINE AND CARBONACEOUS DEPOSITS FOUND IN USED MOTOR OIL, (10=BEST):

· 10 Gunk Gas Treatment
· 10 Toluene (a common ingredient)
· 9 Castrol Syntec Power System
· 8 Duralube Fuel System Cleaner
· 7 Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 6 Redline SI-1
· 5 Gunk Air Intake Cleaner
· 4 Naphtha (a common ingredient)
· 4 STP Fuel System Cleaner
· 4 Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· 4 Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 4 STP Intake Valve Cleaner
· 4 CD-2 Emission Cure
· 4 Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· 3 CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 3 Techron Concentrate
· 0.5 Butyl Cellosolve (a COMMONLY used "AUTO INDUSTRY DETERGENT" for oil and grease)

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS DO NOT HURT NYLON (LISTED RANDOMLY).
(The letters in parentheses indicate how well they dissolved the material from used oil, A=best.):

· Toluene (A)
· 2-Phenoxyethanol (A)
· Duralube Fuel System Treatment (B)
· B-12 Chemtool (B)
· Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner (C)
· Techron Concentrate (D)
· STP Intake Valve Cleaner (E)
· Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· CD-2 Emission Cure
· Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· Aromatic distillates
· Naphtha
· Butyl cellosolve
· Acetone

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS WILL DECOMPOSE THE NYLON SOCK IN THE FUEL TANK. Listed in order of increasing severity:

· STP Fuel System Treatment
· CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Castrol Syntec Power System
· Redline SI-1
· Gunk Gas Treatment
· Monoethanolamine
(The monoethanolamine is the worst here. It turns nylon black on contact. It is significant to note here that the "best" "detergents" in use today are similar, strongly alkaline organic solvents). Another use for the current bunch of organic amine "detergents" is cleaning deposits out of cylinders, so I hear.

I hope this takes the guesswork out of choosing good products.
Old 03-07-15, 11:52 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
Click and Clack from CAR TALK ( I know one of them is dead) say that you don't need to floor modern cars to blow out carbon. But if you enjoy it I say go for it. just like what tires you like or gas you buy. it's your car do what you want. I like to drive to Lubbock at normal speed looking for cops and if there aren't any I drive back very fast. It is only 15 miles to home....wheeeeeeeee
Absolutely correct. Properly maintained, modern engine like our LS430 engines, have zero carbon to 'blow out' but it's fun to open 'er up once in a while ... and I do!