LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

part number 06 430 drivers seat cushion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 11:08 AM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
after 2 no shows from the installer i have decided to change it myself.i will do it this week.
Haha. Ah man! I thought for sure today was going to be the day I found out whether or not I was going to have a difficult conversation with the wife about me buying a new seat bottom cushion for the LS.

Sorry to hear the installer didn't show. How frustrating.
Old 03-18-15, 05:49 AM
Gottlieb
Driver School Candidate

Angry New Seat cushion, no difference

Originally Posted by aypues
good luck!! Excited to hear if the new seat pad improves the comfort level (or not).
I did have the seat cushion replaced in my drivers seat because I thought after reading on this site that my seat had become flattened and was uncomfortable, especially the side bolster on the right side that would press into my thigh. After having the cushion replaced I noticed absolutely no difference, the side bolster is still hard and uncomfortable. As others have said I think the seats just have a poor design especially for those of us with wide bottoms. I am 6'2" normal build, just don't have a tiny butt. I have learned to live with it by extending the seat cushion about half way. If extended fully then there is a lack of padding at the rear of the seat and that too becomes uncomfortable. My next car is going to be a Volvo because their seats are fantastic!
Old 03-18-15, 06:43 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

That's terrible news for me since you are experiencing the same issues that I have. Now I'm even more hesitant to spend money on lacklustre OEM foam.
Old 03-18-15, 08:12 AM
Anthony81
Driver

The first thing I noticed when I test drove my car was the seats. They just are not as comfortable as my Cadillac's seats. That being said, I took it on a long trip (17 hours) and if I began to feel uncomfortable I would just reposition the thigh and lumbar supports. I always take my wallet out of my back pocket also. My seats heat slowly and cool quickly, while passengers talk about how hot their seat gets. I don't know, but I think the seats are just poorly designed. The rest of the car makes up for it I guess.
Old 03-18-15, 08:23 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

well guys i changed the cushion tonight.first i will say this job is labor intensive.now to the chase:the new cushion is much more firm then the old one which i happen to like.the old one next to the new one you can really tell the difference.i am happy i put a new one in and i will take it out for a drive later in the week.
if anyone is going to do this yourself send me a pm so i can give you a couple of pointers and avoid a couple of issues i ran into.
now i know why the interior guy didnt show up for $95.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 03-20-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 10:32 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Have you played much with the positions? If you are experiencing back pain or soreness I would really look at your body position and try to distribute more weight evenly and keep your back upright with maximum lumbar. Everyone is different but personally I find it really helps to retract the bottom cushion at least halfway. I am not a small guy either. Look at the angle too so your not leaning back too much as to help put more weight on your legs and thighs and less on your butt.
Old 03-20-15, 09:37 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

drove to atlanta and i must say the new cushion has made a big difference for me on a long drive.i sit a little higher in the seat and i didnt have to reposition the seat either.
i did notice the part number on the new seat cushion ended with a w3 and the old cushion ended with w2,so i am guessing that they updated something. the number i am talking about is not the ordering part number but the number that is molded in the foam.
conclusion:if you seat cushion is flat and you are repositioning your seat alot to find a sweet spot i would say you should change your cushion.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 03-20-15 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 04:05 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
drove to atlanta and i must say the new cushion has made a big difference for me on a long drive.i sit a little higher in the seat and i didnt have to reposition the seat either.
i did notice the part number on the new seat cushion ended with a w3 and the old cushion ended with w2,so i am guessing that they updated something. the number i am talking about is not the ordering part number but the number that is molded in the foam.
conclusion:if you seat cushion is flat and you are repositioning your seat alot to find a sweet spot i would say you should change your cushion.
Based off these two responses I will place my order soon...
Old 03-21-15, 09:21 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Based off these two responses I will place my order soon...
I'm pretty sure one liked it and one didn't like it. Not the best response rate yet. We'll need you to be a guinea pig and try it on yourself next to get a better sampling.
Old 03-21-15, 02:56 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I replaced mine last year or so ago. It's been great since. Well worth doing in my opinion. I did a write up on it in this forum somewhere.

Randy B
Old 03-21-15, 03:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I believe I remember your thread. There are others as well. I have really yet to hear negative reviews about replacing the cushion. Can't really imagine why you would unless something else is defective.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-21-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 05:32 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aypues
I'm pretty sure one liked it and one didn't like it. Not the best response rate yet. We'll need you to be a guinea pig and try it on yourself next to get a better sampling.
I've searched this issue as far as the search function allowed me. Most say it gets better, some say the difference minimal but others say no effect. On the second day of ownership I was thinking WTF is wrong wid this seat & how is it less comfortable than my 99' ? Don't get me wrong the adjustiblity is great, the sliding seat function is much needed for my 6'5 frame. I'm just concerned if the OEM foam will be 'enough' or should I go the custom route..
Old 03-21-15, 06:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Because of your size use some additional support. Upholstery shops can build into the seats or go with nice pad on top. If it's lower back It is more position then the pad.

Amazon.com: Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion (Gray): Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion (Gray): Health & Personal Care
Old 03-22-15, 09:52 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
I've searched this issue as far as the search function allowed me. Most say it gets better, some say the difference minimal but others say no effect. On the second day of ownership I was thinking WTF is wrong wid this seat & how is it less comfortable than my 99' ? Don't get me wrong the adjustiblity is great, the sliding seat function is much needed for my 6'5 frame. I'm just concerned if the OEM foam will be 'enough' or should I go the custom route..
I am with you. I want to put in new OEM foam but then if it's not right i'll have to redo it, again for the 4th time. And maybe redo it after that. You should see the getup I have to use to drive my car without pain, it's crazy! and I'm young and not overweight at all! It is by far the worst automotive seat I have ever had, and I've had 4 Lexus' before this (2 SCs, 2 GSs). I just put up with it because everything else about the car is so superior.
Old 03-22-15, 12:55 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy B
I replaced mine last year or so ago. It's been great since. Well worth doing in my opinion. I did a write up on it in this forum somewhere.

Randy B
i remember your thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-padding.html here it is

Quick Reply: part number 06 430 drivers seat cushion?