LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Advice on buying a high mileage LS430 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 05:40 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Like others have said - car is almost bulletproof if it was well maintained. Check service history to make sure it has been well maintained. Expensive cars with no service history can be a big gamble.
Old 02-23-15, 05:28 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage 2002 LS430 - Thoughts/Perspectives

I was hoping some LS430 owners might offer some thoughts/perspectives on my current situation, especially those who have driven their "baby" past the 200,000 mile mark.

I currently have a 2002 with 212,000 miles. I purchased it in July of 2013 with 162,000 miles and only recently had my first issue, a leaky valve cover gasket. Starting in May, I will have a daily commute of 200 miles (100 each way) for one year. I'm in the midst of a career change and the daily drive is to school. I mention that mostly because money is tighter than it once was or will be in a couple years, and I obviously need to have reliable transportation. No doubt the LS430 is a reliable machine, but I'm looking at 260,000 miles plus when all is said and done.

Considering the long commute I would like to stay comfortable along with the reliability. So I am thinking about trying to find an older LS430 around the 100,000 mile mark, which we probably put me in the $150.00 per month car payment range. I haven't had a car payment in over 15 years, so this would feel very strange. I know $150.00 isn't a lot of money to most, but given our current situation it isn't chump change. I guess the question I pose is this- Given my circumstances (and the experiences of those who have had higher mileage LS430s), would you be more inclined to get the lower mileage car and minimize possible fixes, or have most had great fortune with their cars over 200,000 miles? I hear plenty of - "These cars will run well over 400,000 miles" stories.

I know this question is so subjective. I could get a lower mileage car and it could break down. I could keep the higher mileage car and it could run like a dream, etc. If you were in my shoes, what might you do? Am I thinking too much about the mileage? Anyone out there who has a high mileage LS with a long daily commute? My wife and I couldn't be more on the opposite ends of the car spectrum. She would probably never buy another car, and I'd love a different car every week. But in the end both of us want for me to be as safe as possible over the next year, and try to be good stewards of our finances so I can eventually get the LS600h I really want. But since the reality of that is at least 2 years away, any thoughts, experiences, perspectives would be a appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read/respond.
Old 02-23-15, 05:43 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I would say keep the $$ you're saving for a car and put that in the "repair bills" jar.

Getting a LS430 with around 100k miles doesn't give you the guarantee that it won't have any costly issues plus it would run you almost $10,000...I can't imagine your 2002 racking up half that in repair.

The other alternative is keep the LS and pick up a cheap older Accord or Camry...they would get better gas mileage and be dependable for maybe a few thousand dollars?
Old 02-23-15, 06:23 PM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Keep what you have, get a good Lexus tech who loves these cars to go over it, do *whatever* he says to do, and put the money in the savings jar. 260k isn't a "high-mileage" car to me. Heck, my old Dodge Ram went 290k before it had major expenses (transmission), and it's got 344k on it now.

If you take care of things, it's amazing how long they will last.
I would actually prefer to put that kind of mileage on a car I know the exact quirks of, and the service history of, rather than a "lower mileage used gamble".

Just my .02.
Old 02-24-15, 04:16 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep it keep it keep it. Put that $150.00/ mo in a mutual fund or something. Just as long as the $150.00 in some way is making money for u, talk to a financial advisor if u have to. Then should a repair arise pull from that to repair it. But don't get a new car payment, cause even then, ur not guaranteed against repairs, but u r guarantee to have a car paymt ON A DEPRECIATING "ASSET"; so it doesn't make sense to do that.

Last edited by Pamperme; 02-24-15 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 06:20 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Definitely keep your current car if it is in good repair and runs well. The transaction costs to sell it and buy another car are way higher than most people think. The LS430 gets pretty decent mpg for a large car - unless you get a Prius or something similar buying another car for higher mph is almost always a losing proposition because of transaction costs. If you are going to put 200 miles a day on a car do it on your current high mile car because there will be very little added depreciation since it is very high mile already. If you buy low mile car and then put 50k miles on it in a year it will cost you serious depreciation. Like others posted take good care of your current car with routine maint and put the $150 month in the repair/next car savings jar. Also if any small stuff like cosmetics goes wrong with current high mile car I'd suggest you live with it rather than put any more money into what will soon be a 250k mile car.
Old 02-24-15, 06:29 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Replace your gasket and drive it... 200K miles really is not bad for a LS 430. If you don't want to take the time or expense of replacing the gasket, then buy a bottle of "Motor oil saver" at Amazon for $10 and use it at your next oil change. Its a great product that will stop any leak that comes from a plastic/rubber gasket. It also is a good ester additive for your oil.
Old 02-24-15, 08:00 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yep, stick with what you know. The 100k car might have lower repair bills but it might well not. total crap shoot unless you really go through the car and even then no guarantees.
guess i differ from XJSFan's advice re the leak...i would never put an additive like that in my crankcase. Fix the issue properly with a gasket
Old 02-24-15, 09:16 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Once you get past 200,000 miles, you're almost stuck with the car as it's going to be very hard to sell it unless it's dirt cheap. You just really have to be prepared to take a bath on it.

If you sold it for like $6,000 and bought a lower mileage one for like $12,000, is that really going to save you $6,000 in repair bills?

With the kind of miles you plan on putting on the car, I would want a car with high miles already because you're going to destroy the value over night of a low mileage car. That low mileage LS you paid a premium for will be out the window in 6 months if you're putting 4k miles a month on your car.

200 miles x 5 days a week x 52 weeks = 52,000 miles a year

I'd drive it into the ground and probably just keep it forever as a 2nd car.
Old 02-24-15, 09:39 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I can't help but agree with everyone else here. As long as the basic maintenance is kept up, you are far and wide money ahead to keep driving the LS.
When was the last TB done? That would be the first priority. Throw in a transmission service for good measure, and you're still under budget VS a "new" used car...
And remember, the miles you put on during a "commute" are the easiest miles a car can drive.. Puttzing along at 70 mph in the same gear..... Easy Peasy..
Old 02-24-15, 10:43 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with everyone else. Keep it…. I bought my Colorado 1 owner 2001 just over 2 years ago with 121K. In 20 months or so I have logged 75,000 miles plus.

I have not had a single issue outside or regular maintenance items, oil changes every 5K synthetic, 2 sets of tires – Michelin - balance and rotate every 5K, brakes and rotors - Autozone, 90K service with all pulleys, belts and hoses. I did the above myself, and 2 windshields and a transmission flush. Worst case if you have the dealer do the above you are still not out $6k for the above. I did blow the sub-woofer, but that really was my fault – AC/DC Back in Black...

The issues that I do have are strictly cosmetic, rock chips, door rust around the trim like many others have. Yes Lexus the door rust around the trim is an issue if you are watching..

My opinion - Hi-way miles are very easy miles for these cars to click off. If you are happy with the condition of the car I say keep it. It’s a known to you, you know everything that has been done to it in the past 2 years. If it breaks beyond what the car is worth to fix, then go find another LS, in the meantime stick the money in the bank.

Someone said above and is great advise, find yourself a good independent Toy/Lexus tech for anything you can’t do yourself.

I will hit 200K in the next month or so. I drive 100 miles per day, unless I hit the lotto I'm going for 300K.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by zapola6; 02-24-15 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 12:27 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
yep, stick with what you know. The 100k car might have lower repair bills but it might well not. total crap shoot unless you really go through the car and even then no guarantees.
guess i differ from XJSFan's advice re the leak...i would never put an additive like that in my crankcase. Fix the issue properly with a gasket
I agree with replacing the gasket... Only mentioned the additive because he may not want to replace the gasket and if a additive is used, the Motor oil saver is actually a very good product.
Old 02-24-15, 04:59 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Looks like everyone was on the same page, and the advice sounds like a good plan. Gasket was already replaced, so that isn't a current issue anymore.

Thanks again to everyone for taking time to share their thoughts.
Old 02-24-15, 05:28 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

200miles/day is gonna cost you $100/week just in gas alone. What's a room in a house cost you for a month? Might be better (tougher on you and wife) to just bite the bullet and live there for a year. You'd have some time to actually study. Go back home on the weekends.
Old 02-25-15, 10:41 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I would only replace it if it was for a slightly newer model with more features, 04-06, AND lower mileage. The built-in Bluetooth is nice and the 6 speed trans gives you better mpg. The headlights are brighter/sharper with projectors. Styling is more modern. You could keep it longer than 2 more years easily.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a high mileage LS430 (merged threads)