LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 increasing value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 11:59 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS430 increasing value?

I know this may be kinda out of left field but do you think the LS430 or LS400 can some day increase in value lets say in about another 20 years because of its ability to run forever and provide an driving experience that some cars today can't even produce. Only cars i know that ever achieved an increase in value is the Ferrari Enzo and Buick Grand National.
Old 02-11-15, 08:01 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Increased value in the future? My guess is no, not going to happen. What may happen if gas prices can stay under $3 a gallon is an increased resale ability of the LS430 for those who would have had second thoughts because of the gas mileage. The lower gas prices negate that aspect. It is kinda cool filling up the 430 for $45-$50 bucks lately.
Old 02-11-15, 08:16 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Filling the tank full of Premium for less than $50 bucks is a good reason to keep it around. Lets not forget about highway mileage this thing has some long legs.
Old 02-11-15, 08:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ceedub53
Increased value in the future? My guess is no, not going to happen. What may happen if gas prices can stay under $3 a gallon is an increased resale ability of the LS430 for those who would have had second thoughts because of the gas mileage. The lower gas prices negate that aspect. It is kinda cool filling up the 430 for $45-$50 bucks lately.
that's already happening . resale is higher on everything because of the gas prices being low. if they shoot up to $4.00 a gallon again then you get the better deals. everything now seems priced above normal
Old 02-11-15, 08:29 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
that's already happening . resale is higher on everything because of the gas prices being low. if they shoot up to $4.00 a gallon again then you get the better deals. everything now seems priced above normal
Good point, you are right! Hope those gas prices stay low.
Old 02-12-15, 03:17 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Resale value has stayed pretty high for well maintained SC430s over the last 5 years but they were built in much smaller numbers as to relatively rare in later years. The LS430 production numbers were high enough that collector market value may not increase over the years. So collectors likely will not pay a premium for LS430s but it may command higher than average values from folks looking for a classic car daily driver. I think resale value may stay relatively high among this group as the car becomes better recognized as a very high value, super high quality classic car. Admittedly a very small sample set on this forum but the loyalty to the LS430 observed regularly on the forum here is relatively unique for 10-15 yo luxury cars.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-12-15 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-12-15, 09:06 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

If anything, the first generation LS400 would be what would likely have any collector value as they were the first Lexus that made the brand. They usually go for around $2,000-$3,000 right now. I don't see that dynamic changing much in the next decade.

I don't think our generation will ever really increase in value (unless you're counting inflation), but it will probably plateau and not depreciate to the point many flagship cars do, mainly because they're not the service headache the European brands can be.

Usually cars that go up in value are ones that were considered iconic the day they were released. Something like an Acura NSX or Toyota Supra will probably appreciate in value but the LS was considered a pretty bland car when it was released and not much has changed regarding that perception.

And as reliable as these cars are, when they start getting 200k-300k miles, even the best cars start having major service problems like new transmissions. I'm sure if I keep my car past the 200k mile mark it's going to be VERY hard to sell to someone unless it's dirt cheap. But taking that loss in depreciation is still a big savings over getting something newer.

Cars in general make terrible investments, for every guy that makes money on one there's 100,000 that lost money. Even cars that have gone up in value, when you factor in what they cost new and what could have been made in conventional investments in those 30 years, it's almost always a poor investment.
Old 02-12-15, 03:53 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the supply demand equation dictates the value of anything, including these cars. Remember these cars were never rare, they were built and sold in significant numbers for several years. No way the demand is ever going to be enough to seriously move the needle, given that supply. The reliability and quality of the car almost works against it in that respect...too many of them are still around and well kept to be considered rare, and therefore command any premium.
Old 02-12-15, 06:00 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
the supply demand equation dictates the value of anything, including these cars. Remember these cars were never rare, they were built and sold in significant numbers for several years. No way the demand is ever going to be enough to seriously move the needle, given that supply. The reliability and quality of the car almost works against it in that respect...too many of them are still around and well kept to be considered rare, and therefore command any premium.
I guess that sums things up!
Old 02-12-15, 08:17 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
The reliability and quality of the car almost works against it in that respect...too many of them are still around and well kept to be considered rare, and therefore command any premium.

Excellent point.
Old 02-12-15, 10:38 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless Bruce Jenner keeps bumping into everybody!
Old 02-13-15, 07:08 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clean low mile LS430's are drying up .Even in Florida which is the mecca of LS430's ! I remember maybe 2 years ago you could check craigslist in any major city in Florida and could find plenty of deals . Now there are very few deals down there . Here in Virginia there are almost no clean optioned out LS430's to be found at all unless you wanna pay 20k+ . I was thinking about selling mine and buying a newer one with lower miles but there are none to be found in any good color combos unless they are base models. Anyone notice you cannot even find a saddle interior car with low miles anymore ? If you have a nice color combo car that is custom or ultra luxury , my suggestion is to keep it . Replacing it is not easy
Old 02-16-15, 12:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

The older 01-03 LS430's seemed to have dropped in price quite a bit but the lower mileage 04-06 seem to have held their value since I bought mine three years ago.

I've noticed it's harder to find 04-06's now and find an LS430 with a black or saddle interior is impossible now in my area.
Old 02-16-15, 12:40 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

my first car was a 69 dodge charger with the 440 magnum if you would of told me that it would be as valuable as it is now i would of said you are out of your mind.in 1977 you couldnt give them away and no dealer wanted them do to the gas prices.
Old 02-16-15, 01:19 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in northern California and I've noticed the price of ls400s go up a little. Most are doing for about 2500 and 4000 right now. I have a ls430 right now and been in the market for a ls400 daily driver. And the ls430 still are between 8500 and 15000.

Quick Reply: LS430 increasing value?