LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

suggestions for sound processer

Old 02-17-15, 11:30 AM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default suggestions for sound processer

Has anyone used a sound processer in their 430? I hear mixed reviews on the jl audio clean sweep from audio stores. I'm running a 10" kicker l7 with a ppi amp and navigation. And as we all know are speakers are old and sound quality is poor now
Old 02-17-15, 01:12 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robles84
Has anyone used a sound processer in their 430? I hear mixed reviews on the jl audio clean sweep from audio stores. I'm running a 10" kicker l7 with a ppi amp and navigation. And as we all know are speakers are old and sound quality is poor now
What year is your car? Does it have the factory TA? I've never experienced it myself, so I don't know how effective it is. If you have 01-03 without factory TA you should consider getting a processor with TA capabilities. From what I understand the clean sweep only gives you a flat EQ. That said, if you have an 04-06 and you're satisfied with the factory TA, a clean sweep may be enough for you.

JBL, Audison, Rockford Fosgate and several others make processors with TA.

Sorry if that is all stuff you already knew. Also sorry that this doesn't directly answer your question. If only I didn't have a daycare bill suckin' my car stereo fund dry every month and could test all this equipment out first hand
Old 02-17-15, 01:24 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Yeah I have a 2001.... with stock navigation. What is ta? New to the slang lol and I feel you on day care. I have 2 kids. I don't want to put to much into my car because I'm planning on getting the ls460. I'm a car hoe.
Old 02-17-15, 01:36 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry. TA = time alignment. (TA is a part of the factory stereo in the 04 - 06. Not in our cars sadly.) Generally the processor will use some sort of microphone setup to do it's best to ensure all sound sent to a chosen location arrives flat (EQ) and at the same time - kinda' like you were wearing headphones, except without the headphones. Makes an immense difference (at least in my opinion). instead of the drivers side sounds coming in louder and faster than the passenger side sounds, they all come in pretty close to the same time, at the same volume with a nice relatively flat EQ. The processor will flatten the EQ at the same time, which is great since the factory 3 band EQ is unable to adjust certain frequencies at all. Listening to NPR is an oddly bass heavy experience in my car. Wish I had the extra cash for a processor. to fix that and a few other mids and highs abnormalities.

The MS-8 from JBL is a very common processor. You can read up on it to better understand what a processor can do. It's not the top of the line. Nor does it do everything that its competitors do. But it gives you a good idea of what they are capable of. Then do the old google "MS-8 vs" trick to see what else is out there. Hope you have some time on your hands
Old 02-18-15, 11:59 AM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the AudioControl DQ-67. I was going to get something like it for my Legacy GT but ended up buying a high end kenwood head unit with signal delay and eq built in. If you want to keep the stock head unit, these things are pretty robust.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/17612/76...on/DQ--61.html

General information

6-channel factory sound processor with EQ and Signal Delay (Espresso Black)
designed to work with any factory stereo
6 speaker-level inputs (each can handle up to 400 watts RMS of power)

Signal processing

input level controls with maximization indicator LED
7-band graphic EQ on front, rear, and subwoofer channels
Signal Delay control adjusts time alignment for left-to-right and subwoofer-to-front balance
AccuBASS bass restoration circuitry
AutoMode creates subwoofer channel when needed
internal signal summing available when used with factory systems with crossovers
output level controls to match amp inputs
maximum output level: 7.5 volts RMS

More info

ACR-3 Dash Control Remote included
GTO™ (Great Turn-On) signal-sensing turn on
12-volt 1-amp turn-on lead output
recommended fuse: 2-amp
dimensions: 8-5/8"W x 1-1/4"H x 5"D
warranty: 5 years
Old 02-18-15, 02:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That's intereting. I use dual channel audio delays with my work all the time. Never really thought about it in the car stereo world. The delay must be very little considering the speakers are only 6 feet away from each other. Our delays are usually like 40 feet apart.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-18-15 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 04:12 PM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
That's intereting. I use dual channel audio delays with my work all the time. Never really thought about it in the car stereo world. The delay must be very little considering the speakers are only 6 feet away from each other. Our delays are usually like 40 feet apart.
Just curious - what do you do for work? Home/car audio has always been a hobby of mine.
Old 02-18-15, 04:22 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Audio visual production and staging.

Just so others understand, the electronic signal in an audio system travels faster then the speed of sound. So, if you want the audio to reach your ear at the same time you delay some of the speakers. This is really important with large sound systems for general sessions, concerts, etc. Ambient temperature also affects the speed of sound and the delay calculations.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-19-15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 11:39 PM
whutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got a DQ-61 one in today, about to wire it all up over the weekend. Just need to find the pinout for the 04-06 ML amp and I'll be good to go!
Old 03-03-15, 04:00 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Thanks for the help people. I will post picks once I get it in.
Old 03-05-15, 03:08 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whutt
I just got a DQ-61 one in today, about to wire it all up over the weekend. Just need to find the pinout for the 04-06 ML amp and I'll be good to go!
Let me know how it goes
Old 03-05-15, 03:12 PM
whutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robles84
Let me know how it goes
Got it all wired up and working great. I am putting together a post on the pinout for future reference.