LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Luck finding an LS with the RIGHT options?

Old 02-19-15, 07:36 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was actually looking for a 2nd gen GS when I came across the LS430 UL. I had never heard of the UL package - I thought it was something very rare and special. What really lured me in was the air suspension. I did not even know cars came with factory air suspension. I saw the car on a forum post here and I bought it maybe two hours later. I knew nothing about the LS when I saw it. All I knew was that the 01 really looked like an 08!! Interior and exterior were in great condition. My dad and I both fell in love wit h the car instantly when we went to look at it. I think I have just about every feature possible and I love them all and have had no problems with the fancy features except for periodic nav problems (and tilt motor out, which every model potentially faces). I learned later that many people choose not to buy the UL because of the problematic air suspension. I suspect that my air suspension has actually been replaced before. No leaks and it rides perfectly. Air compressor never comes on randomly. I am at nearly 180k miles

Anyways, I am so in love with my car. It is white with black interior and some reddish wood trim (not sure the official name). But now that I have been exposed to the LS community more, I realize that I REALLY like the 04-06 LS and I love the colors briarwood pearl, cypress pearl, and flint mica. Had I realized the facelifted one existed, I may have held out for one of those. But I definitely would go for the UL package again. It's not rare and special like I thought before, but all my friends think it is And I would always go for black interior because it is sleek and stains don't show

Last edited by heathervb; 02-19-15 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added current mileage
Old 02-20-15, 10:05 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom57: is turn signal mirror an option or standard in CL package for 2006. how is the ride with 18" vs standard 17" ride. thanks
Old 02-21-15, 07:58 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

17" ride better...
Old 02-22-15, 10:45 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by heathervb
I was actually looking for a 2nd gen GS when I came across the LS430 UL. I had never heard of the UL package - I thought it was something very rare and special. What really lured me in was the air suspension. I did not even know cars came with factory air suspension. I saw the car on a forum post here and I bought it maybe two hours later. I knew nothing about the LS when I saw it. All I knew was that the 01 really looked like an 08!! Interior and exterior were in great condition. My dad and I both fell in love wit h the car instantly when we went to look at it. I think I have just about every feature possible and I love them all and have had no problems with the fancy features except for periodic nav problems (and tilt motor out, which every model potentially faces). I learned later that many people choose not to buy the UL because of the problematic air suspension. I suspect that my air suspension has actually been replaced before. No leaks and it rides perfectly. Air compressor never comes on randomly. I am at nearly 180k miles

Anyways, I am so in love with my car. It is white with black interior and some reddish wood trim (not sure the official name). But now that I have been exposed to the LS community more, I realize that I REALLY like the 04-06 LS and I love the colors briarwood pearl, cypress pearl, and flint mica. Had I realized the facelifted one existed, I may have held out for one of those. But I definitely would go for the UL package again. It's not rare and special like I thought before, but all my friends think it is And I would always go for black interior because it is sleek and stains don't show

I agree with everything! I love my UL and don't care if it will be high maintenance one day. I bought it with 66k miles as a CPO car and they only had to replace one air strut at like 75k and ever since then it's been fine - I'm at 136k now. I also love Briarwood pearl. Browns are really popular now so it was kind of ahead of its time as a car color. Love my black interior...I live in socal and a friend of mine thinks I'm crazy with the way the sun shines here, but I like it for 2 reasons- 1) it is much cleaner and stains never show, 2) for security and privacy - with my tinted windows and SolarGuard sun visor you can't see inside the car at all when parked. I can leave dark colored bags inside, my iPad with black cover out, no one can see it inside because it all blends in.
Old 02-22-15, 10:51 AM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I agree with everything! I love my UL and don't care if it will be high maintenance one day. I bought it with 66k miles as a CPO car and they only had to replace one air strut at like 75k and ever since then it's been fine - I'm at 136k now. I also love Briarwood pearl. Browns are really popular now so it was kind of ahead of its time as a car color. Love my black interior...I live in socal and a friend of mine thinks I'm crazy with the way the sun shines here, but I like it for 2 reasons- 1) it is much cleaner and stains never show, 2) for security and privacy - with my tinted windows and SolarGuard sun visor you can't see inside the car at all when parked. I can leave dark colored bags inside, my iPad with black cover out, no one can see it inside because it all blends in.
Wow, you have Briarwood on black?
Thats a rare combo!

Can we see some pics?
Old 02-22-15, 11:32 AM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by ma61
Thats a rare combo!

Can we see some pics?
no, I have black on black like in my avatar. I just said I like Briarwood.
Old 02-23-15, 11:00 AM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ma61
Thats a rare combo!

Can we see some pics?
Yeah at first I read his post like that as well. Agreed, Briarwood on black would be interesting.

I think the biggest issue is getting configurations w/ the color you want IS indeed difficult. Mine was definitely a happy accident.

I was messing around with the current lexus.com configuratior for the current 460 (jokingly wondering what features I'd look for my NEXT used car) and was SHOCKED at how difficult it is to find NEW cars at the dealer in the config I'd want! Lots of F Sport packages. Problem is- no Ultra Luxury Trim back seats with that package. My family would definitely miss that I think.

And I don't want the L stretch version as I need 3 seats in rear with UL package...and I'd like Flaxen interior (as the saddle / black combo is not what you'd expect) - but can't get it with an exterior color I'd like (exterior colors are limited once you pick UL and flax)

These cars have a lot of options, if it matters to you- get the fully loaded ones IMHO- and then try as best you can to find a color combo you can live with.

Honestly, now that I'm reading about that blogger with an LS400 with 900,000 miles on it, I'm wondering what kind of record I can set with mine? I'm in no hurry to upgrade.
Old 02-23-15, 11:19 AM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by BCrews
And I don't want the L stretch version as I need 3 seats in rear with UL package...and I'd like Flaxen interior (as the saddle / black combo is not what you'd expect) - but can't get it with an exterior color I'd like (exterior colors are limited once you pick UL and flax)
460L's have 3 rear seats unless it's equipped with the Executive Seating package, which is a special order item and rare. It's more uncommon to find an ultra package in a short wheelbase LS than in the long wheelbase.