LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

CD Changer 2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 10:44 AM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD Changer 2?

My 02 LS430 with the ML system and Nav has a voice command for "CD Changer 2." I looked all through the manual and it doesn't say anything about where the 2nd changer would be. In fact, the only place I could see it mentioned was in the list of voice commands. Is this just something built into the software that never had hardware to go with it? Curious if anyone has a second factory CD changer somewhere. I found something that looks like a disc drive under the floor in my trunk but I'm assuming that is for the navigation.
Old 02-10-15, 12:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That is odd. I don't believe dual CD changers were ever offered. That description is funny. What does "the other" CD changer really mean...? Maybe you can pull the Nav unit out and put in a CD changer in the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails CD Changer 2?-cd-mode-2.jpg  
Old 02-10-15, 05:23 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was waiting for someone else to chime in... no idea why the software is there to support it- but glad it does. This allows easy integration for "smart" aux inputs such as the Vais Tech audio interface. My previous owner must have installed one of these or similar, and once I bought my car I found a mysterious ipod dock connector neatly inside the accessory drawer right above the front heated seat controls. I have limited control of the ipod (I have a 2004- either a newer car navigation unit or perhaps better interface improves the level of control) but this is all handled through the CD2 input- which can be toggled by pressing the CD button on the stereo once an ipod is connected. Not sure this was the designed intent of Lexus- but having limited track and album detail and volume and track advance and back functions from the steering wheel sure is nice without needing to swap the entire stereo.
Old 02-10-15, 06:47 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

it's most likely the MiniDisc changer (MD Changer) in the firmware. with my Vaistech SL3B installed it uses the MD Changer that gets activated once you plug it in. It was something Toyota did for the Japanese market since they were so popular there. The disc button toggles between the two - cd and md changers.
Old 02-10-15, 06:56 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
it's most likely the MiniDisc changer (MD Changer) in the firmware. with my Vaistech SL3B installed it uses the MD Changer that gets activated once you plug it in. It was something Toyota did for the Japanese market since they were so popular there. The disc button toggles between the two - cd and md changers.
Yes, that is correct. On the LS, an external audio source like a VaisTech integration unit emulates through the "MD" section of the stock audio system. Other Lexus and Toyota models emulate through CD. See: http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/SL3i...on%20Guide.pdf
Old 02-10-15, 07:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I went out and tested my Grom 1/8" stereo / usb hard drive unit and I cannot get "CD Changer 2" mode to be recognized by the system. Just "CD Changer" Hitting the disk button switches modes. When in either mode telling it cd mode just stays in the same mode. Hope that makes sense. Does not switch back to the CD player.
Old 02-19-15, 12:47 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not familiar with your "Grom" interface. I'm guessing the Vaistech spoofs something on the Lexus in the CD setting. Mine toggles between CD1 and CD2 - I'm guessing I have a Vaistech installed that allows this (bought car used that had an ipod dock connector already wired.

I know my base grade Maxima had a similar feature- in dash CD- but if you paid extra for a CD changer in the trunk- you could then have the ability to toggle between the two- I'm guessing the Lexus stereos all have similar functionality and that's what the Vaistech hacks into. Thus why that box is a couple $100 vs. the cost of just an interface cable.
Old 02-19-15, 01:33 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Can you switch between cd1 and cd2 via voice command? That is what I am saying. I doubt it works either. You have to hit the button.
Old 02-20-15, 03:46 PM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Can you switch between cd1 and cd2 via voice command? That is what I am saying. I doubt it works either. You have to hit the button.
I can change to CD2 via voice command but it just gives me a message about either no disc / changer not connected and switches back to CD1