LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Are our rides obsolete now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 01:31 AM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all of our LS's 400/430/460 will always make a statement on the road. Regardless if theyre 10, 15 even 20 years old there is still something about them that stands out from a fellow S class, 7 series flagship from the same era. They were built ahead of their time and still withstand the test of time. I picked up my grandmother from the airport in my 2000 LS400 and she thought it was from 2008! She was shocked to hear it was a 15 year old car.
Old 02-08-15, 03:22 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
I think all of our LS's 400/430/460 will always make a statement on the road.
Agreed-- but 460, not so much. 400 and 430 were class leading. 460 lost/finished last in comparison tests the second it was introduced, and it's still basically the same car 8 years later. Not saying it's not a great car, but...

Absolutely drooling over what the next gen LS will be.
Old 02-08-15, 04:14 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

well....they soon will be. I see a fair number around my area of LS400s and so many are looking tired and plain. The LS430s don't look that way just yet. It could be the condition of the car but I also think there is something about visual design that ages. It just does for the vast majority of cars. Could be wrong....would be very interesting to ponder this question in say about 4 yrs. relative to the LS430. When I think of some other luxury cars...Lincoln Town Car from the 70s....nice then, pathetically cheap looking now. S class was nice then, still looks good. Large Audi....so so then, ho hum now.
Old 02-08-15, 04:22 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm glad I have a daily driver I can still play my old hair-metal tapes in.

Just yesterday someone remarked how good looking my car is. I reminded him it's 11 years old. I see other 430s on the road and for some reason, none of them look as good as mine. I must have gotten the best looking 04 Mercury Metallic model produced.

Yes, the nav display and radio controls are outdated, but they are user friendly and don't take the eyes off the road for long periods while adjusting. I haven't been in any newer cars to compare it all to, and I don't need to. I'll drive this one until the wheels fall off and then look for another Lexus that is 7 or 8 years old at that time.
Old 02-08-15, 06:46 AM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

For me... It's not outdated at all, or obsolete.

For one, I hate touch screens, and I'm very thankful that very little has to be done with that damned screen. It drives great, handles decently for it's size, and has good brakes.

The car reeks of quality, and no one would guess it's age. The guy at the car-wash last week asked me if it was a '13 or '14 model. I laughed and said it was an '04 with over 100k on it. He was astounded.

I specifically look for older cars (even though I'm young - 33) because I do not like how most cars produced today drive. And I've owned a lot of cars, including several MB and BMW's - and while I'll hand it to the Germans that they build something more exciting to drive, have you attempted to keep one on the road past the warranty period? I used to budget $500/month for *maintenance*.

I certainly don't anticipate anywhere near that with the LS430, even with (relatively) high miles.

For me, it's classic, stately, and as long as it's in good shape, most folks have no clue.

Heck, most of my clients couldn't believe my Ram was as old, or had nearly as many miles as it does... Buy something that's timeless, take good care of it, and you will fool at least 70% of the populace that you're in something "new".
Old 02-08-15, 09:18 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
NO car offers oscillating vents from what I've researched. the 04 was way ahead of its time - radar cruise w/pre-collision system, Bluetooth, backup camera, led taillights...etc...and the reliability. best headlights I've ever had on a car too. The only other car I'd switch for would be the new S-Class Mercedes, but even then it's not a huge leap over my UL.
Mazda offered oscillating vents, but they weren't "smart" oscillating vents that were computer controlled by temperature sensors.

Old 02-08-15, 12:40 PM
realkrs
Rookie

Originally Posted by ncsucarjoc
For me... It's not outdated at all, or obsolete.

For one, I hate touch screens, and I'm very thankful that very little has to be done with that damned screen. It drives great, handles decently for it's size, and has good brakes.

The car reeks of quality, and no one would guess it's age. The guy at the car-wash last week asked me if it was a '13 or '14 model. I laughed and said it was an '04 with over 100k on it. He was astounded.

I specifically look for older cars (even though I'm young - 33) because I do not like how most cars produced today drive. And I've owned a lot of cars, including several MB and BMW's - and while I'll hand it to the Germans that they build something more exciting to drive, have you attempted to keep one on the road past the warranty period? I used to budget $500/month for *maintenance*.

I certainly don't anticipate anywhere near that with the LS430, even with (relatively) high miles.

For me, it's classic, stately, and as long as it's in good shape, most folks have no clue.

Heck, most of my clients couldn't believe my Ram was as old, or had nearly as many miles as it does... Buy something that's timeless, take good care of it, and you will fool at least 70% of the populace that you're in something "new".
Agree 100%, and if a taste for late electronics should develop a visit to Crutchfield's or Pioneer's site with a few hundred dollars will fix you right up.
Old 02-08-15, 03:22 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by realkrs
Agree 100%, and if a taste for late electronics should develop a visit to Crutchfield's or Pioneer's site with a few hundred dollars will fix you right up.
Exactly. To me the LS430 represents the last and very best generation of ultra luxury cars. The LS 430 has an almost perfect combination of bells and whistles and technology without going overboard. The motor and mechanical have enough technology to be ultra smooth running yet extremely reliable and will age well. Interior controls and switches are perfect combo if mechanical and tech based to still operate intuitively and be super reliable. Cars that are supposedly more modern than the LS430 are plagued with so much technology that they get silly and frustrating to operate. In my opinion a computer style mouse in a car is a red flag indicator that the car's systems are not well designed for the critical task of driving, needlessly complicated, potentially dangerous, and likely will not age well or be reliable.
Old 02-08-15, 03:30 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a fairly base 2005 facelifted model without the Levinson sound or navigation. I think the facelift did what a facelift is meant to do - keep an older design fresh for longer.

I certainly don't think of my LS as obsolete. The engine is still smooth and plenty powerful for me, as is performance. I don't need the gadgets - I deliberately picked a car that didn't have them on the basis that they go out of date quickly and are just something else to break.

However, as others have said, it's the build quality, attention to detail and quietness, together with the smoothness I mentioned above and the simple classic lines that impress people. As a real estate broker, I drive a lot of people in my car and it is praised constantly. People can't believe its a 10 year old car.

Obsolete? No. Classic, yes.

Ask me again in 5 years.
Old 02-08-15, 03:52 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I disagree because quality is NEVER obsolete. Sure there are more toys available now in the newer cars, but that is of no interest to me.
Its true I drive a basic model LS, without the ML, without navigation and without air suspension. It's perfect for me in every way. I want nothing more.
Old 02-08-15, 07:36 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Agreed-- but 460, not so much. 400 and 430 were class leading. 460 lost/finished last in comparison tests the second it was introduced, and it's still basically the same car 8 years later. Not saying it's not a great car, but...

Absolutely drooling over what the next gen LS will be.
I'll say it. The 460 is not a great car. Mine wasn't even a good car. The LS is almost an afterthought in the luxury car market today. Lexus took one of the most successful luxury car lines and turned it into the automotive version of "The New Coke".

Old 02-08-15, 08:01 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

And if the rumors are true that the new target for the LS is the Jaguar XJ or Panamera, then you can kiss the LS line goodbye. Trying to turn the LS line from a benchmark luxury car to a sports sedan will be the dumbest thing Lexus could do and will prove they have truly lost their way. To me, that would be an admission that they have given up and know they can't compete with the new S-Class.
Old 02-08-15, 08:31 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
And if the rumors are true that the new target for the LS is the Jaguar XJ or Panamera, then you can kiss the LS line goodbye. Trying to turn the LS line from a benchmark luxury car to a sports sedan will be the dumbest thing Lexus could do and will prove they have truly lost their way. To me, that would be an admission that they have given up and know they can't compete with the new S-Class.
I wouldn't be surprised man , Lexus is going way off track in so many areas , im almost afraid to see whats next.
Old 02-08-15, 09:14 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not at all. I love my LS430. I went from a 98 GS to this LS last year and there's nothing that can compare. I had a 2013 GS350 loaner for a week and a half while my LS was in the dealership and the quality was garbage compared. The drive wasn't as nice (expected) and I just wasn't impressed. I was beyond excited to get back in my LS430 when the dealer was done with it. To be honest after driving that GS though it kind of scared me like, what would I move to as my next car if I didn't like the GS? A newer LS? I really don't know. I will probably drive my LS430 until 2017/2018 when Tesla plans to release their consumer level model of the Model S and move to a fully electric car and pass my LS onto my mom to drive in her retirement. There's no way i'd get rid of the LS though.
Old 02-08-15, 09:49 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Well I really hope they don't go that route. They need to keep/refocus there attention to the new S class as they've done in the past. When the Lexus, LS in particular, started to chase the 7 series, things took a turn down hill imo. While still being a car to reckon with, the competition has gained new traction and has made the the car pale in comparison. I'll hold off judgment until I see whats in store for next LS because if it does disappoint the 2012 or 2013 LS will be my last. Maybe I'll switch to MB or if Cadillac finally jump in with a flagship then I may consider it.

Quick Reply: Are our rides obsolete now?