LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Are our rides obsolete now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 03:55 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are our rides obsolete now?

With the last year of production of the LS430 just under ten years ago, If you count the last update, 12 years is more like it and with all of the changes and innovations done to the modern car, it dawned on me that our cars, despite the build quality, are pretty much obsolete compared to even an entry level ride. Granted the nav system and overall shape were deemed "old" even when the car first hit the pavement so that i can leave out. When the first LS430 hit it was consider one the most tech-laden cars you can buy and the drive train performance was on par with the best in class. Most cars today, and im not even talking about luxury cars, can be had with just about everything the LS430 offers if not more. What is the one thing or things that regardless how old our cars get, it will never be bested? Quality, for me, comes to mind. Oh and the super wide headlight beam pattern .
Old 02-07-15, 03:59 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to me i think of the design, most classy and timeless design ever.
Old 02-07-15, 04:06 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

From what comes to mind. Not all cars have ventilated and heat seats standard, Oscillating vents, reliability (won jd power rating), refinement not many cars drive like a ls430 even if it is a brand new 2015. The look is still up to date. I still get asked if my car is brand new or what car is that. Although my car is not stock. If I had to get another car and had a budget of 15k or less Id get another ls430 in a heartbeat.
Old 02-07-15, 04:13 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

NO car offers oscillating vents from what I've researched. the 04 was way ahead of its time - radar cruise w/pre-collision system, Bluetooth, backup camera, led taillights...etc...and the reliability. best headlights I've ever had on a car too. The only other car I'd switch for would be the new S-Class Mercedes, but even then it's not a huge leap over my UL.
Old 02-07-15, 04:21 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by monkey92
to me i think of the design, most classy and timeless design ever.
Originally Posted by doodoo
From what comes to mind. Not all cars have ventilated and heat seats standard, Oscillating vents, reliability (won jd power rating), refinement not many cars drive like a ls430 even if it is a brand new 2015. The look is still up to date. I still get asked if my car is brand new or what car is that. Although my car is not stock. If I had to get another car and had a budget of 15k or less Id get another ls430 in a heartbeat.
Good points fellas! I too get asked all the time what year is my car. I say 05 and people are shocked to find out this car is 10 years old. People at least expect 08-10. I keep the car spot less on average so that helps a lot with how this car is perceived. The design is mostly subjective but imo, i love the stately look. It may be an older design but something about the shape still screams class just like the old M-B S-class from the 90's.

Just wanted to get some opinions on the subject and how do you guys feels about your car compared to say a 2015 Avalon, fully loaded.
Old 02-07-15, 04:24 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aypues
NO car offers oscillating vents from what I've researched. the 04 was way ahead of its time - radar cruise w/pre-collision system, Bluetooth, backup camera, led taillights...etc...and the reliability. best headlights I've ever had on a car too. The only other car I'd switch for would be the new S-Class Mercedes, but even then it's not a huge leap over my UL.
To be fair, my ex GF's 96 Mazda 626 had oscillating vent. lol. They weren't zone controlled but they swiveled nonetheless. See link below.

http://playswithcars.com/?p=941
Old 02-07-15, 04:38 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish the self-closing doors were more common today. I always end up leaving the door open, expecting it to close on its own, in practically every car I get in other than my LS.
Old 02-07-15, 05:27 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes, there are a lot of features on our cars that are found more commonly today, but that's really how it's always been. The features are first offered on the Flagships, and then they make their way down to the rest of the line. Dated? Maybe, but it's still the nicest car I've owned to date....
Old 02-07-15, 05:36 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

The ultra quiet , serene ride and bank vault feeling of the car. When you go drive a different car, the road noise really sticks out, even on a higher end car. You really have to go up the food chain to get that quiet. For whatever reason, many automakers overlook what you would think would be easy to make a car quiet on the road.

I really don't care that much about technology and gadgets. About the only feature I don't have that I would want is a way to integrate my iPhone/iPod, which is easily accomplished with an aftermarket adapter. I just like a large, rear wheel drive sedan with a V8 and a beautiful interior. The new LS460 almost seems a step backwards, the interior feels cheaper.

Regarding the drivetrain, it's sufficient, but I would prefer if it had it been geared to have power down low. We also have a Lexus GX SUV, and the powerband is made to be right off the line. In normal traffic, it's much more useable, whereas with the LS, I feel like really need to put it to the floor to get it to move. It definitely seems much faster on paper than in real life.
Old 02-07-15, 06:25 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

my 06 ls 430 is the only car i ever had (i have had over 40 ) that if it got totaled i would buy another one to replace it with out a thought.
i feel the same about my 86 mr2 but if that got totaled there isnt any to replace it with that is in the condition mine is in.love these cars.
Old 02-07-15, 06:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't ever use any of the gadgets or features on cars anyways , to me it comes down to reliability and performance and the ls430 still shines in those categories.

I still have a high amount of respect for the older LS400's and SC400's from the 90's for the same reasons.
Old 02-07-15, 08:21 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Considering my 04 has many features a lot of modern cars do not even offer or are just beginning to I don't feel obsolete. I like the 460 but reliability is a problem.
Old 02-07-15, 10:41 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say these cars are old but I'm surprised about the nuts that lexus had when they designed the car. They haven't stepped out of bounds this far to date IMO. Of course it feels obsolete. It's old! But honestly these cars have held up so well. The tech could possibly use updated programming or something to that sort. Other than that, I'm very impressed with older LS'.
Old 02-07-15, 11:07 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rule of thumb it takes 7 years for luxury car items to become "Standard" or near standard items on economy cars.
Old 02-08-15, 01:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, they're obsolete. But who cares, one of the greatest cars ever made. It's still OBVIOUS, the over-engineering and quality that went into these tanks. My car is 11 years old with 112k and drives like one that 2 years old with 30k....

Quick Reply: Are our rides obsolete now?