LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

"Goldie" Did her job

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 03:19 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay, but that's totalled. All the front and rear damage and airbags out. I think typical airbag system alone, repaired is $5k. All that other stuff... Goldie did her job. Rip.
Old 02-06-15, 05:14 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, "Goldie" is gone. But think about this for a moment...you are in a Dodge Stratus under the same conditions. Then YOU are toast, along with the car. Goldie gave her all. I have also been in a very serious accident that totaled my LS. The LS gave her all for me too. I walked away without a scratch when a lesser car would have had me transported to the nearest ER. Keep that in mind when you think of a replacement.
Old 02-06-15, 05:45 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am positive that car is a write off. There was 5.5k in damage to my 01' after a hit and run... these are not cheap cars to fix. Glad to hear youre okay.
Old 02-06-15, 06:43 PM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walleyeman glad you are ok. I echo the comments above about long term effects. My Mystic Gold 2002 LS was rear ended at a traffic light in 2010. A jeep hit me at about 35-40 mph, knocked the car 29 feet(according to police). I blacked out on the hit. I had cat scan and MRI's done just in case. The car did it's job and protected me well. I ended up getting another mystic gold 2002. Your car will definitely be considered totaled(mine was). The car is well built. BTW my air bag(s) did not deploy on the rear end hit. My seat collapsed rearward and downward by design to minimize the impact.
Old 02-07-15, 02:55 PM
polonius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok, but not at all surprised. A friend had a reaction to a Rx drug an drove her LS head on into one of those stone and brick subdivision monuments and walked away without a scratch. The car and the wall were totaled. I was thinking about her when I bought mine.
Old 02-07-15, 09:49 PM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyeman
The short story-I was stopped on I96 in Detroit area due to an accident 4 cars ahead of me ( I did not know it at the time-just happened). A young lady who claimed she was going about 50-60mph rear-ended me and drove me into the car in front. The young lady was driving an Isuzu SUV (Trooper?) and I hit another mid-sized SUV. Air bag deployed. I never got out of the car until I was transported to ER. My neck was (is) sore but that is really the extent of it. CAT scan and x-ray showed nothing.

Goldie took the hit, protected me and did her job. I'm not sure I could have made any evasive moves to avoid this. I was only stopped for a couple seconds. I checked my mirrors and saw her for maybe a 1/2 second before impact. Six cars were involved with three people transported. I believe the young lady broke her collarbone.

After release, we went to the impound lot and retrieved my personal effects. All the doors opened fine, and there was no damage to the interior -other than the deployed airbag. I had a suitcase which we had a tough time getting out of the trunk.

Our cars are well designed to protect the occupants. The fact that my injuries appear to be minor after such an collision is proof of that.

I'm guessing that she is totaled-the adjuster will be looking tomorrow for final decision.
Glad to see your okay. I was just reading about the elderly women who lost her life today in a Ls430 that shut down PCH in california. I guess Bruce Jenner rear ended her, and pushed her head on with a Hummer...RIP
Old 02-08-15, 12:40 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The cabin of the LS in the Jenner accident appears to be relatively intact, but the lady was killed. Makes you wonder if she was wearing a seat belt ... http://news.yahoo.com/bruce-jenner-c...221514285.html
Old 02-09-15, 12:16 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom57
The cabin of the LS in the Jenner accident appears to be relatively intact, but the lady was killed. Makes you wonder if she was wearing a seat belt ... http://news.yahoo.com/bruce-jenner-c...221514285.html
Funny you mention this- I was telling my wife how impressed I was of the condition of the cabin yet SHOCKED to hear the driver was killed. I was wondering if bags somehow didn't deploy or yes, no seatbelt...that said- that is some serious wreckage....
Old 02-09-15, 12:28 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BCrews
Funny you mention this- I was telling my wife how impressed I was of the condition of the cabin yet SHOCKED to hear the driver was killed. I was wondering if bags somehow didn't deploy or yes, no seatbelt...that said- that is some serious wreckage....
It's also possible she had heart failure caused by the trauma of the accident.
Old 02-10-15, 10:48 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCrews
There are pics of her as Jenner hits her, and she clearly had her belt on. And the airbags went off when she hit the Prius (after Jenner hit her) so there was decreased protection at the time she was pushed into the path of the Hummer. Going to be VERY expensive for Ms. Jenner
Old 03-10-15, 10:12 AM
walleyeman
Rookie

Default Update

Well, as assumed, Goldie was totaled by the insurance co. They offered $12k for her. After I sent in my receipts for the new tires and assorted parts and repairs for the past year ($1700) they upped the offer to $12,400 which I took. The car had 130K miles on the clock and was in very good shape. I purchased her with 88K miles for $10K in 2013. It did have a crack in the front bumper which I fixed.
So, in the end, I was happy with the settlement.
I looked at a number of LS430 replacements but I could not find one that really struck me. Either I thought the price was way high or the miles and service history scared me off.
I ended up with an 07 Avalon Touring. Way high miles -180K, but great service history and decent shape for $6K. I put 30-40K miles on per year so it really does not make sense for me to get a low mileage car.

I miss some of the options of course. I do like the way the Avalon handles on the highway. I predict I will be back to an LS in the next year or so. I wanted to buy my son's 2004 but he is not ready to sell yet so that may be in the offering too.
Old 03-11-15, 09:54 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i find it shocking you would take the downgrade even though you essentially profited on the LS. But to each their own, and i do understand the rational behind your decision. Hope it is as good to you as your LS was
Old 03-11-15, 10:03 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I moved from the 2004 Avalon to the LS and don't plan on looking back. Understand your position though. You can get into the Avalon cheaply and with low miles per year the mileage hit will decrease slightly and help to maintain the value of the car so that when you sell it to get your son's LS, you won't lose too much money. Now you just have to wait on him to sell it to you.