LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Snow - do you use the low gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 05:13 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Snow - do you use the low gear?

Just curious, I was driving through unplowed snow early this morning and used the low gear to get some needed traction at an intersection. I wondered if anyone uses the transmission gearing to get additional traction. If so, the best way to do it. BTW, I have snow tires and use the "snow" setting.
Old 02-01-15, 06:11 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i have had zero problems just using the "snow" feature. Has helped me out a lot over the winters.
Old 02-01-15, 06:53 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rather than trying to pick a gear, I also just use the 'snow' mode and let the engine/tranny smarts figure it out. Never a problem with snow tires. You are doing the best just leaving it in drive with snow mode.
Old 02-01-15, 07:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

During our ice storm last year I used snow mode for first time. It worked well. Even with just all season Michelins.
Old 02-01-15, 08:09 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Thousands of miles in snow ... the "Snow" button modulates the transmission to avoid tire spin. It works without changing gears manually. Provides computer-assisted traction (analogous to ABS on brakes when braking). When you get onto a clear street, remove the "Snow" option since it reduces the normal torque of the transmission and consequently reduces acceleration.
Old 02-02-15, 12:17 AM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Just curious, I was driving through unplowed snow early this morning and used the low gear to get some needed traction at an intersection. I wondered if anyone uses the transmission gearing to get additional traction. If so, the best way to do it. BTW, I have snow tires and use the "snow" setting.
L is just 1st gear and not letting the tranny go to 2nd.

The car starts in 1st anyway if you're at a dead stop or at a very low, creeping speed, so you're not doing anything other than keeping it in 1st for longer than someone else. And since traction is all about the first moments there is no real need to do so.
Old 02-02-15, 07:58 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Tom57, Colorado 2001 LS430, lots of snow miles - I use the snow option... The car has proven that it's smarter than I am about driving conditions on more than one occasion.
Old 02-02-15, 12:21 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Manually down-shifting could defeat the purpose of the "Snow" mode. Snow mode electronically shifts the transmission into a higher gear, so that from a stop, the higher gear is engaged (rather than 1st gear) to prevent the normal 1st gear torque that would spin the tires with less traction. Of course once you are moving, you could manually downshift to use the transmission as brake horsepower, but with ABS brakes, in most cases you'd be better off using them.
Old 02-02-15, 12:29 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Always used snow mode during snow. It puts the gear in a higher level. Thus not accelerating as fast and with not as much torque ( so your wheels don't slip in the snow.)

Although I really struggled with mine, I don't have snow tires on, so I will slip even if I were in 12th gear

Not much snow in my area though.

But sometimes, in some situations you actually want the lowest gear with traction off. Got stuck couple of times, put the TRAC off and in power mode, with someone nudging the car the big girl was free.
Old 02-02-15, 04:13 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with everything that has been said. If the ground has white on it, I use the snow mode.

That said, almost was stuck this morning. With 15 inches of new snow and unplowed roads, the transition form the driveway to the road was difficult. I began to get stuck in snow mode at the bottom of the drive. After a few attempts with the wheels spinning, shifted into low and slowly eased out with no problem. Once in the center of the street shifted back into drive with snow mode and easily got out of the neighborhood to the plowed main roads.
Old 02-02-15, 04:17 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i usually dont use snow mode, and sometimes when i get stuck i have to turn off TRAC. then i usually get out of the situation.
Old 02-02-15, 04:53 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Snow mode is fine biggest nemisis is getting high centered, not much room underneath.
Old 02-02-15, 05:38 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

What's snow and rust with carpets filthy from your boots? What is it?

Sincerely,
The Southerner's
Old 02-02-15, 06:09 PM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo

Sincerely,
The Southerner's
I'm not sure... But I think I'm good without subjecting my LS to it ;-)
Old 02-02-15, 06:48 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo

Sincerely,
The Southerner's
Drinking water is abundant and perhaps the cleanest and best tasting in the world, comes from a lake, not a river, no fights about shortages or diversions, nor worries about droughts, etc. We love our rain and snow since it replenishes our great lakes for drinking water and provides great outdoor recreation in all seasons.

Sincerely,

The Northerners

Quick Reply: Snow - do you use the low gear?