LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is the LS430 a "man's" car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 09:42 AM
oxonian007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
I'm 44, but remember when Lexus first hit the scene in '91. The LS scored head & shoulders above everything else (domestic, German, Japanese, etc.) in both quality and value. In fact, I've even got the original Consumer Reports from that year with the write-up they did comparing it to Cadillac, Lincoln, etc.

Then when the SC was revealed for model year '92 it was love at first sight! The only 'poorly engineered' car I've ever owned was the old family car - an '86 Renault Alliance. After that I got an Acura Integra (drove to 273k miles), then my first Lexus ('93 SC400). Been riding in the lap of reliable luxury ever since.
I am 36, too, and adore my LS430. It is the best consumer product I own, narrowly topping my 1969 Rolex which my uncle bought in Hong Kong in 1971. I am thinking seriously about buying an SC400 and restoring it, with some upgrades.
Old 01-25-15, 09:42 AM
Quipper
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'm closer to 7' than 6' tall, we originally got our LS since it's one of the best cars for a tall driver. (Just for fun I sat in a sporty but teeny 2015 Toyota Scion yesterday and it literally took me 30 seconds to contort myself enough to just sit in the driver's seat even with it adjusted to its roomiest setting. And once inside, since the steering wheel seems to have no tilt, it was obvious that I couldn't safely drive the vehicle since my legs were unavoidably touching the steering wheel and the wheel obscured the gauges.)

But from the beginning we both adored it; equally so, I'd say. We also drive a newer Prius, but only when we need to; and after driving the Prius the Lexus seems all the more luxurious. That fact is not lost on my wife.

If I were to die tomorrow (God forbid) and our LS were to be gone as well, I can guarantee you she'd seek out another one. It's large, sure, but that's part of the allure for her. She adores the huge trunk and interior space for hauling groceries or other purchases--even large items, giving friends or extended family a comfy ride in the backseat at times, and having what feels to her like endless leg room....
Old 01-25-15, 10:00 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oxonian007
...Oddly, for a brand that is supposed to be so "sport" oriented, the median age of the BMW buyer in the US is almost as old as the median Lexus buyer. Are these oldsters trying to be sporty without going whole hog for a real sports car?....

Not at all. The thing people (younger than 40+) don't realize (unless they just happen to have gotten an earful from their old man) is that cars simply cost more today (relative to middle-class income) than they did 30 years ago. Rates of pay have not risen in parallel with automotive price inflation.

When me and my brother were growing up in the '70s and early '80s, with my dad working the assembly line at Detroit Diesel and my mom working a desk job for the city of Detroit, they could afford a new Cadillac. And that was back in the day when you didn't have the luxury of financing a vehicle for 84mo like you do today. And there was no such thing as a lease! So there was no livin' large on a small paycheck. But how many middle-class families today (not upper-middle class) can afford to PURCHASE, with 4-year financing, a brand new Cadillac?

The reason the average age for BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rover, Maserati, etc. is so high is because there aren't too many 20-somethings who can afford those cars. Heck, let's be honest here. How many of you fine people would be driving your 430 if you had to pay the $65k to $77k sticker price (with 4-year financing)?
Old 01-25-15, 07:32 PM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm a young man. I see about equal number of men and women driving the car here - and we have a lot of LS's on the road. Most are a lot older than I am.

I drove old Volvos for a long time. Switched to BMW for several years - and was astounded by the lack of quality and the extreme costs of maintenance. Nightmare doesn't even begin to describe the ownership experience. Bitten and burned, and unwilling to go to FWD with the new Volvo's, I drove a Dodge Ram for a few years...

I began my search for something new - as the Ram diesel has over 300k on it, and I drive a lot. After a lot of looking, and being fully prepared to buy a new Grand Cherokee Diesel (until I drove one, and it's slow). I finally settled in on an LS430. So far, so good. Time will tell. For now, it's a great car to drive, and we'll see how long it stays in the stable.

As far as for the way it drives - I feel like it's an old man's car. I enjoy it.
Old 01-25-15, 08:53 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A car that is smooth and trouble free doesn't have to be listed under old men.
Old 01-25-15, 08:59 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
A car that is smooth and trouble free doesn't have to be listed under old men.
Yeah... Except that's the monkey Buick has been trying to shake off its back for generations now.
Old 01-25-15, 11:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife refers my LS's as" old mans car " and smell like an "old mans car". I am 55 and really can't argue much.

I hope most of the purist car enthusiasts, usually men, who drive the LS drive it mainly because it is a RWD V8. Woman are not so understanding of cars to appreciate this. HAving said that my wife has no problem driving my LS when I need her Highlander for skiing, hauling, heading to Lambeau to tailgate.
Old 01-26-15, 09:15 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife calls our LS430 'The Beast'.

I guess it all depends on how you drive it. When I want it to be sporty, it is. And quick. Faster than I 'need'.

When I want it to be sedate and luxurious, it is. My wife prefers that mode.

Anyone who thinks it's an old man's slow boat can come for a drive with me sometime (I'll leave wifey at home) and you can tell me what you think afterwards!
Old 01-26-15, 12:17 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
ladies car
>On a Forum for lexus
> Looking in the LS section
>Thinks they're a ladies car

The logic presented is totally making sense.
Old 01-26-15, 01:29 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I would say the LS is a intelligent persons car. As one of the best cars ever made how could you not want one? Honesty, even though I like the look and power of the 460 they are not nearly as reliable and the cost of doing the 8 control arms just in the front is insane. You want to see people being hung out to dry go look in that forum. $5800 to replace just the front arms. You would think is was a Bently service or something.
Old 01-26-15, 01:37 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

While I loved my 430, my wife also considered it a more "older man" vehicle. I still loved that profile with my 5 spoke wheels. However, oddly enough, I never drove my 430 very fast. Always within the speed limit and just cruised down the road listening to the ML system and enjoying the ride. Now, my foot seems to press the pedal much harder and I find myself speeding down the road in my 460. Not sure the difference but the 460 is a remarkable beast!
Old 01-26-15, 02:18 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Okay...it's a BIG ladies car
Old 01-26-15, 02:23 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Besides the Mercedes S-Class, the LS is also the choice of the Japanese Yakuza (Mafia). So, I'd assume this car is manly enough, unless you want to lose a finger.