LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

123k mile spark plug pics-04 LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 05:35 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 123k mile spark plug pics-04 LS

I posted this in the maintenance section but wanted to put it here as well for those who visit this section exclusively.

I decided this past weekend to do a little driveway maintenance on my LS, which included cleaning the MAF sensor, the throttle body, and changing out the spark plugs.

The old plugs were almost impossible to remove due to the buildup on the threads. I don't know much about plugs and how they should look after 123k miles, but to me, it seemed like there was quite a bit of carbon build up on a few of them. After completing all of these tasks, I noticed that the car does idle lower in park (~700rpms), and while in gear at a stop (500rpms). Acceleration seems a bit better, and I plan to test gas mileage when I can get to the interstate. Previously I was getting an average of 27mpg at 78mph.

Pics of the plugs.

Old 01-20-15, 06:27 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice to see a side by side comparison with a new plug to see wear.

Thanks for posting.

Alan
Old 01-20-15, 07:09 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yeah, I'd say those are about done... The build up is probably from the fuel you're using. It may have additives in it that arent being burned off.
The tip, or Center Electrode, should be a little longer, and as a result of firing countless times over the last 10 years, has worn down.
The Ground Electrode doesnt look too bad, though...

Most importantly, they're not wet with oil, so you don't have to worry about ring problems.
Old 01-20-15, 10:04 AM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Yeah, I'd say those are about done... The build up is probably from the fuel you're using. It may have additives in it that arent being burned off.
The tip, or Center Electrode, should be a little longer, and as a result of firing countless times over the last 10 years, has worn down.
The Ground Electrode doesnt look too bad, though...

Most importantly, they're not wet with oil, so you don't have to worry about ring problems.
Would the buildup cause the car to give off a sulfur smell when accelrating heavily? I ask because since the cleaning and plug change, I have not detected the sulfur smell at all.
Old 01-20-15, 10:51 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

That's possible. Under heavy acceleration, the ECU dumps more fuel into the cylinders, to allow for more power, and with the plugs not working at their optimum capability, you may have been experiencing some improprer burn, resulting in the sulfer smell coming from the converters.

Usually the computer will compensate for that by retarding timing, or reducing the fuel output when it detects cooler temps (via the O2 sensors) coming from the converters, though.
Old 01-20-15, 04:13 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good work. Those look like they've done more than they were asked to do.

Props to the great camera
Old 01-20-15, 04:40 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Yours definitely looked in rough shape. The threads especially. These were mine at about 110k.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8358807

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-20-15 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 02:41 AM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Good work. Those look like they've done more than they were asked to do.

Props to the great camera
Thank you, sir. Amazingly, these pics were taken with my cell phone! I was surprised myself at the quality.
Old 01-22-15, 11:21 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Those plugs Look Really Good

But even though they look good and have done more than what was required of them, they still should have been changed at 60,000 miles.

Plugs are cheap, very cheap.

You, however touched on the problem. There removal. If the threads in the cylinder head (remember they are aluminum) are damaged when they are removed, then the new plugs may not install correctly and that can be very bad. The problem arises because even though the spark plugs and cylinder head are dissimilar metals, they will still try to bond to one another. The longer the plugs go unchanged the greater the risk.

Change them at 60 K or be VERY careful.

Old 01-23-15, 01:53 AM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by lorenr
But even though they look good and have done more than what was required of them, they still should have been changed at 60,000 miles.

Plugs are cheap, very cheap.

You, however touched on the problem. There removal. If the threads in the cylinder head (remember they are aluminum) are damaged when they are removed, then the new plugs may not install correctly and that can be very bad. The problem arises because even though the spark plugs and cylinder head are dissimilar metals, they will still try to bond to one another. The longer the plugs go unchanged the greater the risk.

Change them at 60 K or be VERY careful.

no records show that the previous owner changed them, but they will be every 60k from now on.
Old 01-24-15, 09:45 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After completing all of these tasks, I noticed that the car does idle lower in park (~700rpms), and while in gear at a stop (500rpms).
Hey, after I disconnected the battery, attempted to spray clean the MAF(can't really touch those wires so can't really call it a cleaning IMO), then cleaned the throttle body.. the car idled high for a little while and now while in drive I think it idles too low.. around 400-500rpms after warm up..

Any ideas on that? My plugs are the long life ones that were changed 30k ago.. just inspected and cleaned any minor buildup on them.

I run some chevron techron through the fuel system once every few months.