Brake bled + new pads + resurfaced rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 11:12 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb Brake bled + new pads + resurfaced rotors

Hey peeps,
Some info I wanted to leave to here for anyone who lived the confusion I had to go through.

In bold, if you don't want to read till the end: If you ever get a bad bearing(noise while turning on high speeds), and you drive on it for too long, your rotors will loose their perfect flat surface, your pads will be messed up.

Some of you might remember several posts I had about a bad bearing and lots and lots of questions I had.

So story is, on a very snowy day, I lost control going around 20 mph, and hit a curb in front drivers side. Thought everything was ok. Not really.
I ended up with a bad bearing, and I needed alignment, right? No. That could've been the case I guess, but I evolved it into a bigger problem.

I had the bearing making noise for about 6 months. I didn't have the time to do it myself and LEs Schwab quoted me $700 or something near that craziness. So I just didn't bother to take it out myself because I had a really busy schedule, plus I was a bit lazy to be honest.

Anyhow, couple of months later, I took out the bad bearing which was on the left side, (turn right, noise occurs.) In with the new bearing, alignment done, and everything was fantastic!

A week later, I noticed a weird vibration that occurred on the pedal and on the steering wheel, although it was barely noticeable, it bugged me so much, and I had to do something about it.

So I researched more and more, about this situation, and couldn't find anyone with a similar encounter. Most people just fix the bearing when it goes bad. And that wasn't my case.

Solution. Got new break pads, about $50 for the front, which is hella cheap considering my friends GT-R that I've been looking at to ****** sometime soon. $600 front pads, $1100 for one rotor! Not cheap I tell you. Anyways, don't want to sidetrack.
So I put in the new pads, and I had Les Schwab resurface my from rotors.

As soon as the had the machine lined on the right rotor, you could hear high and low pitches, because the rotor wasn't flat surfaced, which gave me a sign of relief at the moment.
I also bled the brake fluid too. $80 for resurfacing and $50 for the brake fluid flush.

Results.
I cannot describe how smooth my car brakes right now. As soon as I touched the pedal I get the mushy feedback with a slight braking power, and if you stomp it, haha you're not going anywhere. I love it, it makes the car feel brand new.

These were just my 2 cents, and I hope someone can find an answer if they ever face a similar issue.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-20-15, 05:24 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Good write up good solution. Keep and eye on vibration from the rotors after you cut them and they heat up and warp, otherwise sounds like it is all good.